Android Question Possible to stream MP3 with exoplayer from password protected webfolder?

Sifu

Hello,
I'm using the exoplayer to stream mp3 from my server.
Is it possible to stream from a protected folder?
So the mp3 stays protected from unwanted downloading and only streaming via the app is possible?

If yes, then please how to do that? I've searched but I can't find similar example.

Thanks very much.

Sifu

Thanks for replying.
The mp3's are in a folder on the server that should be protected by password.
Is it possible that b4a requests access to that folder and gives the password automatically(at start of the app)? No intervention from a user needed.
And that then the mp3's could be played?

Upvote 0

Sifu

Thanks. I will check out okhttputils then. I don't want them to be downloaded, only streamed(although I know that everything accessible on the web is downloadable).
But for this it will will save bandwidth, it's not a real "unlimited data" plan, there are limits. Because as a user does not like the song they can stop listening an not the whole track is downloaded first, also they don't have to wait downloading and start listening instantly.
For now it works without protected folder. So hopefully it works with your suggestion. (and I will take the download as next option in consideration).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sifu

I don't know what are you using now, but ExoPlayer can stream music from STREAM server.
if you can mention your server or check the server documentation, you will get an API or URL which you can use to stream, that is only if the server is a streaming server
Just a simple Linux Ubuntu 20.04 64bits server, hosted at Contabo as it has very good prices for what they offer compared to Belgium or Dutch providers. I first tried the same setup at Strato, but got all strange errors. The same setup worked right away at where it now is, just as my test server at home.
It run Apache and PHP8.0. It's not only a streaming service.
The intention is that the music is only to be played from the Android app. If hopefully the use will increase I'm planning to create for iPhone too, but you know Apple wants money no matter if your app is for free.

Upvote 0