iOS Question Problem using OTA deployer

pacpinto

Licensed User
Hi,

I can't install anything via the OTA deployer. When tapping the link it does nothing. This means nothing at all: no app is downloaded, no message shown.
Is the service running with no issues?

Thank you

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Make sure that you open the link in SAFARI and not in any other browser.

Sometimes, if you have another browser on your device it may try to open the link in that browser. It wont work in any browser except Safari.

The installation happens in the background. You wont see anything happen or receive any messages after it is installed. Look on your Home Screen carefully and you should see the icon for your app there.

Upvote 0

pacpinto

Licensed User
Make sure that you open the link in SAFARI and not in any other browser.

Sometimes, if you have another browser on your device it may try to open the link in that browser. It wont work in any browser except Safari.

The installation happens in the background. You wont see anything happen or receive any messages after it is installed. Look on your Home Screen carefully and you should see the icon for your app there.
Thank you for your reply.
The only browser I have on my phone is Safari. I even went so far as copying the link and pasting it directly in Safari's address bar. It asks "Open this page with "iTunes"?, but does nothing no matter what I answer. I get the same result on my iPad and on other iPhones.
I know the installation takes place in the background (sort of), but you can see the progress just as if you install from the App Store. The thing is, nothing happens at all. It is very likely something I am missing... also my IPA is only 2.7 MB, which I find rather small. Could this be something to do with the compilation process?

Thank you again for all your help!

Upvote 0

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
That's strange!
I assume you first tested it in release mode and it works fine, right? Build Server -> Build Release App

Also, make sure that the Package Name and App Names in OTA deployer match what you have in B4I

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pacpinto

Licensed User
That's strange!
I assume you first tested it in release mode and it works fine, right? Build Server -> Build Release App

Also, make sure that the Package Name and App Names in OTA deployer match what you have in B4I
It is indeed very strange.
Yes it runs fine in release mode when installed with the bridge app. The package name is correct, as all other settings (I've had problems with this before... I now always double-check this).
Still, it does nothing. Is the link supposed to open with iTunes? there is no iTunes app anymore...

Upvote 0

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Some of my testers have reported the "open with iTunes" message, but it installs fine.

The only other thing I can think of is to set your phone to "Developer mode" in Settings, if you have not already done that.
I use OTA deployer quite a lot to test out my Apps before publishing them and have never had a problem.

One other thing you may want to try, is create another simple "Hello world" app and deploy it using OTA. If it works then it's something in your App that's choking it.

Upvote 0

pacpinto

Licensed User
Some of my testers have reported the "open with iTunes" message, but it installs fine.

The only other thing I can think of is to set your phone to "Developer mode" in Settings, if you have not already done that.
I use OTA deployer quite a lot to test out my Apps before publishing them and have never had a problem.

One other thing you may want to try, is create another simple "Hello world" app and deploy it using OTA. If it works then it's something in your App that's choking it.
Developer mode is on on all my devices... I also used OTA quite a lot and never had this kind of issue before. I will try with a barebones app and see if it installs.
Thank you once again for your help!

Upvote 0

pacpinto

Licensed User
I am still struggling with this. Actually I am at my wits end and without any idea whatsoever on how to debug this further.

In short:
- app compiles, installs and runs from the IDE, in release mode, with no issue.
- when using OTA Deployer, the generated link does nothing at all. I mean nothing.

So I investigated the issue using a Mac connected to my iPhone, with the console app to see debug info from the iPhone. When activating the install link, these are the relevant messages I get from the "appstored" process:

Debug output:
Received request: <ASDExternalManifestRequest: 0x101435390>: 27B14FD5-619B-428A-9DFA-C2099AEA75D9 from: <RequestBrokerClient: 0x1065167c0>: itunesstored
[RequestProxy]: Starting ...
[D626A4A8] Manifest for UPP: https://www.b4x.com:51041/ota?type=plist&guid=17296898661242172407_783&product=Multitema&bundle=com.multitema.newsstand clientID: itunesstored qoS: QOS_CLASS_USER_INITIATED (0x19)
[D626A4A8] Downloading requested manifest at URL: https://www.b4x.com:51041/ota?type=plist&guid=17296898661242172407_783&product=Multitema&bundle=com.multitema.newsstand
Connection 1004: enabling TLS
Connection 1004: starting, TC(0x0)
nw_connection_report_state_with_handler_on_nw_queue [C1004] reporting state failed error Operation timed out
Connection 1004: received failure notification
Connection 1004: failed to connect 1:60, reason -1
Connection 1004: encountered error(1:60)
[D626A4A8] Request failed with error: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1001 UserInfo={_kCFStreamErrorCodeKey=60, NSUnderlyingError=0x101436c40 {Error Domain=kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork Code=-1001 UserInfo={_NSURLErrorNWPathKey=satisfied (Path is satisfied), interface: en0, ipv4, ipv6, dns, _kCFStreamErrorCodeKey=60, _kCFStreamErrorDomainKey=1}}, _NSURLErrorFailingURLSessionTaskErrorKey=<private>, _NSURLErrorRelatedURLSessionTaskErrorKey=<private>, NSLocalizedDescription=<private>, NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=<private>, NSErrorFailingURLKey=<private>, _kCFStreamErrorDomainKey=1}

Can anybody please help? From my limited understanding, it seems that "appstored" is unable to download the app.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pacpinto

Licensed User
I just tried to debug the download using curl...

B4X:
curl -o result.dat --connect-timeout 60 "https://www.b4x.com:51041/ota?type=plist&guid=17296898661242172407_783&product=Multitema&bundle=com.multitema.newsstand"

results in a timeout. So I am guessing there is some kind of issue with my account maybe? But the process of uploading does not show any error...

Thank you for any help in advance...

Upvote 0

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Which version of OTA Deployer are you using?

Did you try it with another simple App? This will confirm if it's an account issue or not.

Upvote 0

pacpinto

Licensed User
Which version of OTA Deployer are you using?

Did you try it with another simple App? This will confirm if it's an account issue or not.
As far as I know I am using the latest OTA deployer, v2.02.
I did try the barebones app and it also didn't work. In fact, at this moment I can't install anything using the OTA Deployer. So I am guessing it is an account issue.

Thank you

Upvote 0

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Aah... that makes perfect sense now. After the recent DDOS attack last month on the B4X site, there were some changes to the DNS and in order to access the site consistently, I had to refresh my local DNS cache and temporarily access the B4X web site by eliminating the "www".

www.b4x.com and b4x.com now resolve to different IP addresses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel. Yes, changing it to b4x.com works and I can install the app without issues. Why does this happen??
I had a similar problem last week, also iTunes kept popping up instead of direct install. Had to switch and use my own server for the deployment.

Upvote 0