Project for today

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just for fun I will attempt today to install and run B4J & B4R & B4A IDEs on my Rog Ally.

Seeing as its 1/3 the size of my laptop and more powerful (processor wise) it sort of makes sense to have a tiny portable device that I can use to program on.

Just waiting for new ssd to arrive before I start, so I don't have to reinstall everthing after I swap ssd's.

Last edited:

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Still waiting for the ssd to arrive..... Will try with existing ssd and just try one IDE (B4J) till it arrives.

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well I got B4J & Java installed (took longer than normal as fighting with joystick to control mouse is not easy, esp on 7" display).

It ran perfectly.
Compiled (dare I say) faster than my laptop (that has 11th gen I5).
On screen keyboard is a pain to use though, so I have ordered a dock so I can use 'Real' keyboard and mouse and most importantly use hdmi to my tv so I can read it easier.

Very usable though if you need to compile on the go.

Last edited:

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It has a very clear display (1080p) and a refresh of 120Hz.

Admittedly, I am swapping glasses a lot. lol.

Just installed the new ssd - downloading windows software from the cloud backup now.

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I can just about manage. It does appear to have voice option on keyboard, although not tried it yet, as I am still waiting for it to finish installing windows apps.

I could also use my laptops pen I suppose.

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This was actually done with Microsoft typing and I'm just saying what I want. So now I can just dictate my code.

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hit a snag with B4R it doesn't recognise the USB port. Had same problem on laptop, but can't remember how I got over it.
More trial and error to do lol.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For those who, like me, don't know what a Rog Ally is, it's this:

1706808840015.png

It should be very convenient to program on this device; just get some chips installed in your brain by Elon Musk 😄

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
and "she-who-must-be-obeyed" can give a few Map suggestions too with the UI drag and drop that is forthcoming . . . .(or going) - will make your next
trip to the country-side much more interesting......you can see the...
......attached to the roof .....

1706818862185.jpeg

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4R IDE runs fine too. (Just had to download cp2102 driver to get it recognise the usb ports).

Not sure I can try B4A - I only have Java 21 on the ally - don't know if that works with the IDE.

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I installed B4A and it appears to run ok, but crashes out with an error even on the default b4xpages app. Also SDK Manager doesn't run.

Dex code Error
Error in C:\b4a source\test2\Objects\bin\classes\b4a\example\main$B4AMenuItemsClickListener.class:
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "String.length()" because "<parameter1>" is null
Compilation failed with an internal error.

I think it's probably the Java version I am using causing it, but it probably would run ok with the correct Java. ( 8 or 14?)

Last edited:

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Intalled Java 14 for B4A and it ran properly.

So now B4J, B4R andf B4A IDE's run on the device.

Gotta find something else to try on it now lol.