Games [Project] Kingdom Crisis (KZ Engine)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've just recently came back from holiday and I started to get some work done... :)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
cool cool cool cool cool! great work wonder!

i like it. i recommend you to make the HIDDEN walls about 50% transparent as soon as the user entered them ;)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Great idea, it should be easy to implement but only the surrounding area.

yes only the Hidden Way!

EDIT: btw i automatically put a like whenever you post a video because i know i will like it especially if it's related to your platform game or Project RYU ;)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks, I really appreciate that! :)

By the way, under the hood, I did something I've should have done a long long time ago...
- I got rid of all Activity touch events so that the user input is now entirely handled by lgInputProcessor.
- The debug text overlay is now an lgBitmapFont and no longer a label.

Thanks to these changes I no longer have to worry about thread safety, which may lead to unexpected crashes.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If anyway feels like messing around with the current build, here it is:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninjadynamics.knights

I'm still figuring a lot things out, so yeah, work-in-progress...
The level design, for example, is like, only 20% done, so highly incomplete.
More info: https://trello.com/b/mXEBQff3/kz2d

The game is currently zoomed-out for debug purposes only.

wonder, everything i am telling you now comes from a friend and from someone that really! want to see you success!

i really would recommend you to unpublish the game until you fix very big issues with the alpha version.

- i have tried the game on my galaxy s8 (5.8" screen) the characters and obstacles are way too small.
i believe you test it on a tablet or 32" tv but most people wil try it on a smartphone (4-6")

so first make it x3 bigger

- remove all information about rendering, you cannot play the game like this. people that find it interesting will uninstall it immediately
it is very important that the alpha is playable and will give you a filling of how the game will be so if you do it right people may also share it on social media and with their friends so release an alpha that is playable

for me an alpha is a demo of the game that show the concept but also has the right game fillings like the finished game. i understand the alpha is very different from the finished one but if the alpha is not good people will not try the beta.

i have seen a video from a game developer in a company that explains the process from beginning to the finished product and he explained that the alpha is the stage where the game is a demo with all characters and the game fillings. maybe characters have no sprites but you can get a good idea how the game will be.
the beta is basically the stage where people look for bugs before it will be released so the alpha needs to be playable.

- if you publish then do it as an alpha. you have an option in google play to choose alpha release and like this people will know its an alpha (not everyone reads whats in the description)

- when the player is running and i shoot he stops running, is it on purpose? i think such game needs to run fast so let the player shoot while he is running would give a better filling.

- the controllers does not fill right. its hard to control the player. you should think of a different controller type

- put an icon

- the background is not rendering correctly, it is cut in about 75% of the screen

- after i entered the "not supposed area" i cannot get rid of that big blue message

-when player is entering the hidden walls you have no idea where he is and what he is supposed to do so consider making them 0.5 transparent when he enter that area so people will not see it as a bug.

- in my opinion, the game runs a little bit to slow. you need to let the player run faster jump faster shoot faster...

- i like the graphics though

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
- i have tried the game on my galaxy s8 (5.8" screen) the characters and obstacles are way too small.
i believe you test it on a tablet or 32" tv but most people wil try it on a smartphone (4-6")

so first make it x3 bigger

I'm using the a full-screen Android emulator on a 32" screen to design the levels, that's the reason for it to be so small. I will make it bigger for release.

- remove all information about rendering, you cannot play the game like this. people that find it interesting will uninstall it immediately
it is very important that the alpha is playable and will give you a filling of how the game will be so if you do it right people may also share it on social media and with their friends so release an alpha that is playable

The debug text may be disabled with TAB, but yeah, I will add another shortcut like Volume Down / Volume Up, for example.

for me an alpha is a demo of the game that show the concept but also has the right game fillings like the finished game. i understand the alpha is very different from the finished one but if the alpha is not good people will not try the beta.

i have seen a video from a game developer in a company that explains the process from beginning to the finished product and he explained that the alpha is the stage where the game is a demo with all characters and the game fillings. maybe characters have no sprites but you can get a good idea how the game will be.
the beta is basically the stage where people look for bugs before it will be released so the alpha needs to be playable.

This is not really an alpha, it's a game in development. I'm only calling it an "alpha" so that I can have it on Google Play. Besides, there is no public access to it.

when the player is running and i shoot he stops running, is it on purpose? i think such game needs to run fast so let the player shoot while he is running would give a better filling.
Yes, this is by design, I don't have a sprite animation for "run and gun".
I requested the artist who created this knight to create a few more frames, but I have obtained no response.

the controllers does not fill right. its hard to control the player. you should think of a different controller type
I disagree, but I admit there are improvements to be made. I have some ideas, so it's not a dead-end.

put an icon
Not important at the moment, but yeah, why not? I won't take me more than 5 minutes. :)

- the background is not rendering correctly, it is cut in about 75% of the screen
This one is interesting, can you send me a screenshot?

after i entered the "not supposed area" i cannot get rid of that big blue message
Press Circle, if it doesn't work, just let me know.

when player is entering the hidden walls you have no idea where he is and what he is supposed to do so consider making them 0.5 transparent when he enter that area so people will not see it as a bug.
You have already suggested it before. I'm still considering if it's worth to implement it now or leave it for later.

in my opinion, the game runs a little bit to slow. you need to let the player run faster jump faster shoot faster
That's because the game is zoomed-out, so it appears slow. Once I zoom it back to 7 vertical blocks, you'll be complaining it runs too fast! ;)

i like the graphics though
Damn, the only thing you like is the work I didn't do. :D

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Damn, the only thing you like is the work I didn't do. :D

:D:D

i also like the menu screen before you enter the game. looks very cool the blurred background and also the fonts are awesome!

This one is interesting, can you send me a screenshot?

Screenshot_20170912-113819.png

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Alright, understood. :) How about those black bars on the side?

try to add this to you manifest:

B4X:
CreateResource(values-v14, theme.xml,
<resources>
  <style
     name="LightTheme" parent="@android:style/Theme.Holo.Light">
     <item name="android:windowFullscreen">true</item>
  </style>
</resources>
)

my galaxy s8 has not a standard ratio.

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/03/update-your-app-to-take-advantage-of.html

https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...n-new-android-flagship-devices.77980/#content

https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/my-salary-2-שכרניק-החדש.81034/#post-513525

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Alright, I fixed / added:
- Background
- Black bars
- Volume Keys toggle Debug
- Icon

@ilan, please let me know if these issues were solved.

I will add a way to change the zoom factor later on today.