Share My Creation Project Ryu - Bulldozer Engine Tech Demo

PROJECT'S CURRENT STATUS:
- I'm working on a SQLite integration with the engine, so that everything loads from a local database. Textures, Stats, Levels, AI, Moves, Sprites, etc.

project-ryu.png
Hi everyone!!

I'm currently developing a fighting game / beat'em'up engine called "Bulldozer Engine".
My goal is to build games like Streets Of Rage, Final Fight or Street Fighter with great responsiveness and speed. I love fighting games, namely those made in Japan.

Download the latest version: September 2nd 2015
Want to run it on Google Chrome? See this post!

promo.png

Concept Art

game-screens.png

Actual Screenshots

Under the influence of Capcom, SNK and Team Ninja, I decided to create this small tech-demo. There's a lot of copyright infringement here, so this app isn't going anywhere near Google Play. There are only three stages, selected randomly. Once you defeat your opponents you win the game.

Download the latest version - September 2nd 2015
Want to run it on Google Chrome? See this post!

Controls:
help.png

Tested on:
  • PC Win7 64-Bit: Google Chrome ARC Welder
  • PC Win7 64-Bit: Andy Emulator
  • PC Win7 64-Bit: Bluestacks Emulator
  • PC Win7 32-Bit: Google Chrome ARC Welder
  • PC Win7 32-Bit: Andy Emulator
  • Tablet nVidia Shield
  • Tablet ASUS ME173x
  • Phone Sony Xperia P
Color indicates stress-test performance. Code optimization is always a work-in-progress.

Features:

• Context-Sensitive Sprite Animator
  • Several Animation Layers
  • Dynamic Stereo Sound FX
  • In-House Collision Detector
  • In-House Physics Engine
  • In-House SlideShow Engine
  • Ergonomic Touch Controls
  • Native USB/Bluetooth GamePad Support
  • Native USB/Bluetooth Keyboard Support
  • OpenGL Rendering through LibGDX

Known Issues:

• Currently none.
Please let me know if you find any bugs or issues.
Remember, this is not a finished product.

Technical Details:

I decided to embrace the challenge of creating a game engine from scratch. Except for the rendering part, which is beautifully handled by libGDX, I created all the remaining components, such as the sprite animator, collision detector and physics engine.
I have to say, I'm quite proud of what I accomplished so far. :D

Finally, I have to thank @Informatix for his libGDX support and game tutorials, @walterf25 for his encouragement and of course @Erel for all his tutorials, dedication to this forum and for creating B4A.

Thank you for your support, guys! :D

FAIR USE STATEMENT: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this non-profit demo uses copyrighted materials intended for evaluation and educational purposes only.

Attachments

• logo.png
    logo.png
    133.1 KB · Views: 2,420
Last edited:

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
Works like a charm !!

One question, it'd be outstanding if your game had a menu game option to select gaming, difficulty, scenary an so on.... ;-)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Works like a charm !!

One question, it'd be outstanding if your game had a menu game option to select gaming, difficulty, scenary an so on.... ;-)

It will have, believe me! :)

However, for the time being, I'm really focused on the Core Engine (Physics, A.I., User Input, Graphics...).
Once I have everything in place, I'll add all the missing game structures, such as Menus, Story, Levels, Scores and so on.

Thank you so much for testing! I'm really glad it's working properly! :)

Douglas Farias

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@wonder
Somente dicas, sei que são algumas dificeis :)
- Adicionar Troca de mapas, igual jogos de briga de rua (Final Fight)
- Adicionar BOSS (Chefão) ao final de algum estágio, claro que ele forte e com algum golpe especial.
- Adicionar itens no chão para pegar, como facas, madeira, garrafa.
- Adicionar Interação com o cenário, por exemplo se ele pisar no fogo, ele queimar e perder um pouco de HP.
- Não cheguei a testar a sua ultima versão, mas se não tiver a opção de agarrar o inimigo segurando o X E QUADRADO seria uma ideia colocar.

Lembrando somente idéias, são dificeis e eu não não iria conseguir fazer concerteza. :)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for your suggestions, Douglas. I do have some of those ideas in mind. :)

Just a remark for anyone trying to run the game on a PC, the keyboard controls do not respond properly with the Andy emulator.
Like I said before, if you have a 64bit Windows OS, it runs flawlessly smooth at 60fps with perfect keyboard support.

UPDATE:
- Fixed one or two animation bugs
- Fixed an intro screen bug
- Added text animation in the Status Bars
- Added the Rage Counter which allows you to perform special moves. This index increases every time your character is attacked.
Download Link

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello again guys!

I'm going on vacation until mid-July, but before leaving, I'd like to share with you my progress so far. :)
I've engaged in some massive bug hunts for the past few days and got rid of a few nasty ones, namely animation bugs.
Following @Informatix's advice once again (thanks!), I managed to optimize my algorithms which allowed me to get rid of lot junk code.
There's still a great amount of optimization to be done, so please always consider this a work-in-progress.

Finally, I've added some new features:
- Fade-in / fade-out effect is now applied to Lifebars, OSD Controls and HP damage text.
- Improved Keyboard / GamePad controls
- Autoplay can be enabled by tapping the upper-left corner.

DOWNLOAD LINK

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Really cool :)

After your game is finished and you become famous dont forgett us "simple" people... ;)

Last edited:

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ohh... thank you so much, Ilan! This project has became more of a personal endeavour than anything else.
I think the mobile market is more about mini-games, such as the ones you've been creating lately.
This kind of "old-school" game isn't really the trend right now, but who knows...
I can actually see you having much more success than I in the future, so keep it up! :D

At this point I believe my project to be 95% bug-free, so a few more days of testing and I'll prepare myself to start adding new features and rewritting old code.
Everything will be loaded from a SQLite DB, character stats, level design, number of opponents and so on.
The AI can still be refined and I must integrate the inventory system.

A lot of work to be done... :)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ahahah!! Thanks for the support guys!!

Most of the core gameplay mechanics are done at this point, but I still have a lot of old-code to rewrite and the SQLite integration isn't finished yet.
It's incredible how much I've learned in terms of Math, Physics, B4A, LibGDX and MySQL/SQLite in only year. I'm really glad I started this project and I'm glad I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Remember to give it a try with Google Chrome's Arc Welder, it runs flawlessly on 32 and 64 bit Windows PCs.

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I could use some of this, specially the blood sprite for my whack a bieber game, :D:D:D
Be my guest! This sprite belongs to Beats Of Rage (PC Freeware). :)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You're the most muscular coder I've ever seen! Respect!
Ahah!! Thanks, but there's a lot of pizza and burgers going on as well... ;)

ArminKH

this is great but the game speed and reaction is too quick