Provide application from website or android market

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am not quite ready for this yet but would like to know the procedure(s) for:
1. User downloading my app from my website and installing it on a device
2. Installing app to the android market for $25 fee
3. Upgrading app on market( is there an additional fee?)

I am also looking to purchase a device for testing and believe a phone would be more practical than a tablet since more people would likely have one. I don't need the phone part at all so wonder whether or not there are devices out there that would be available without a contract and have wifi access. I have installed my app on both a borrowed phone and a tablet using the b4a bridge (works great) and since I have seen what it looks like on a device, I could probably continue with the emulator if necessary. Thanks for any advice.

Jim Schuchert

mistermentality

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am not quite ready for this yet but would like to know the procedure(s) for:
1. User downloading my app from my website and installing it on a device
2. Installing app to the android market for $25 fee
3. Upgrading app on market( is there an additional fee?)

Installing an app to the market is very easy. Once registered as a developer you just log in and you will see a page that shows you a clickable button saying "upload application".

The market page you will see this option on when a registered developer will be https://market.android.com/publish/Home

Just click that and it guides you through exactly what to do (you will need your compiled app on your computer and a couple of screen shots as you have to have at least two screen shots and the app itself to upload).

Basically you just click a button, locate the app on your computer and click upload. Same for your graphics. You also get a section on the same page to write about your app, this is the text that market visitors will see when they click on your app title while browsing the Android market, it tells potential users what the app does and anything else you want them to know.

The only fee is the one off $25, upgrading an app does not cost anything.

For commercial apps Google take a percentage (I think, I haven't put a commercial app on the market yet but I read the guidelines and I'm sure it specified a percentage).

As regards putting your app on your own site for download well its as simple as including a standard link in your web page to the apk file. However you need to be aware that if the users phone does not have the option to download non market sources they will be unable to install your app as a small number of devices come pre set to only accept apps from the Android market.

Dave

Upvote 0

Gmankelow

Licensed User
Longtime User
Don't forget the Amazon Market place as well, although its $99 per annum they are currently waiving the fee.

I have an app in on review now, adding seemed easy but I have nothing to compare it against as I have not paid $25 to Google yet!!

Upvote 0

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you, Dave, for the detailed reply. That is just what I needed to know. It concerns me, though, that some devices will not accept non-market apps. I suppose potential users with an android device would be registered for the market and I could simply direct them there.

Gmankelow, thank you for the Amazon lead.

I better get busy and finish my app.

Jim Schuchert

Upvote 0

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
As regards putting your app on your own site for download well its as simple as including a standard link in your web page to the apk file. However you need to be aware that if the users phone does not have the option to download non market sources they will be unable to install your app as a small number of devices come pre set to only accept apps from the Android market.

Where is the apk file created?

Is android 1.6 supported by b4a?

Thanks for all the help.

Upvote 0

kickaha

Licensed User
Longtime User
The apk file is in the Objects directory of your project.

B4A supports android 1.6 and above.

Upvote 0

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
Currently I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab I am using (wish it were mine) for some testing while the owner is out of town. I really like it. Using the usb connection, I copied a 'apk' file but cannot find it on the device. Did I do it the way it should be done? I can look at the device's content through my computer and see the file is there. What's my problem. Thanks in advance.

Jim Schuchert

Upvote 0

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
What I meant is that the apk file shows up in the contents of the galaxy tab but how does it get installed? An earlier post in this thread indicated simply copying it to the device but apparently it is more involved than that. I only have the device for a few more hours so would like to test that aspect. Thanks.

Jim

Upvote 0

mistermentality

Licensed User
Longtime User
What I meant is that the apk file shows up in the contents of the galaxy tab but how does it get installed? An earlier post in this thread indicated simply copying it to the device but apparently it is more involved than that. I only have the device for a few more hours so would like to test that aspect. Thanks.

Jim

It shouldn't be more complicated. If the Android device is connected to a computer running the Basic4Android ide and you click the "compile and run" button it should compile the app and then install the apk file onto your connected device.

Dave

Upvote 0

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks, Dave. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am looking for a way that a 3rd party "without" b4a would receive a file from me and install my application without going through the market. I am pretending that I am that 3rd party and have received the apk file. Now what do I do? The device is set for non-market apps.

I have previously installed my app to the galaxy through the bridge.

Jim

Upvote 0

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you, Andrew. That did it. I finally found a "My Files" icon on the device and it contained my app. That is pretty easy. Now back to work. You guys are really great!!!!!

Jim

Upvote 0