Other Quiz: Elegant evaluations...

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
We need to implement a sub that calls several other subs in a specific order. Each of these subs returns True if the sub was executed successfully and false otherwise.

If any sub returned false then we should stop calling other subs and return false. If all subs returned true then we need to return true.
B4X:
Sub DoSeveralTasks As Boolean
'call TaskA. If good continue to TaskB and so on...
End Sub

Sub TaskA(...) As Boolean

End Sub

Sub TaskB(...) As Boolean

End Sub
'more subs here. Each with a different name and a different number of parameters.

Please use the Spoiler tag in your answer:

SS-2014-10-13_11.51.00.png

It is of course very simple to implement this. The challenge is to write an elegant solution.

Last edited:

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, in my example I know.but what if I'm writing a class module or library where the Subs could be different depending on use? Then I wouldn't know ahead of time and a solution like#2 and #7 could come in handy.

Yep, say that you are evaluating a file where each line can hold a different type of object. Depending on what you find on a line, you call a different sub. On the other hand, I would probably use a Select, just to be sure. I mean, the subs needs to be known at compile time anyway, even if you don't know which you are going to call.

Upvote 0

Derek Johnson

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry for late contribution. I am on intergalactic spaceship 0.4 parsec from Earth; only just saw quiz. ;)

Updated answer - should have read the question first. (Very dim lighting in my spaceship).

B4X:
sub GetResults

select case FALSE
case sub1(a,bc)
case sub2(x,y)
case sub3(p,q,r)
case ...
case else 'All cases must have been true
   return TRUE
end select
'Must have encountered a false case
return FALSE
end sub

I think that's pretty readable. I always use this sort of construct rather than a whole bunch of if...then..else.

Derek

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Derek Johnson

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry for late contribution. I am on intergalactic spaceship 0.4 parsec from Earth; only just saw quiz. ;)

B4X:
sub GetResults

select case true
case sub1(a,bc)
case sub2(x,y)
case sub3(p,q,r)
case ...
case else
   return false
end select
return true

end sub

I think that's pretty readable. I always use this sort of construct rather than a whole bunch of if...then..else.

Derek

Sorry - readable but wrong. Needed to invert all Trues and Falses then it works correctly.

Otherwise this stops after the first sub returns True., should continue to first false one. I misread the question. It's a useful construct sometimes though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0