Android Question [Solved] b4a 10.6 and avd manager error

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I use a real phone with usb and it works fine.

But at times I need the emulator (phone not available, need to check on tablet size or big phone size). Now when I start avd manager in B4A 10.6, I get below error,
b4a1.png

Since I understand that I should not run sdk manager as it will corrupt B4A so I need help here.
b4a2.png

How to create a avd of different size ?
b4a3.png

Regards,

Anand

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The main error might be related to the SDK not being unzipped properly.
Almost certainly. I've seen that exact error as well. Use 7-Zip to install a new SDK, and if the error recurs try again as I think that I have seen at least one bad unzip causing that error with 7-Zip.

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Almost certainly. I've seen that exact error as well. Use 7-Zip to install a new SDK, and if the error recurs try again as I think that I have seen at least one bad unzip causing that error with 7-Zip.
Yes.

Used 7-Zip and right click and extract to folder. Avd now runs without any error.

Curious I checked the 'open archive' option and I found that there are few .jar files which are not visible in the archive but are extracted !!
Do not know how, but this may be the problem in extracting using anything but 7-Zip.
b4a4.png

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
but this may be the problem in extracting using anything but 7-Zip.
No. The main problem seems to be with Windows File Explorer. On occasion it seems to mangle the uncompressed folder structure. I know that some people are aware of this at Microsoft as I have seen a recommendation on one Microsoft site (can't remember which) carrying this warning to not use File Explorer to unzip the download.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The main problem seems to be with Windows File Explorer.
I never use Windows File Explorer.

I also checked from TC and it show those .jar files in a separate "lib_" folder.
b4a8.png

So when extracted from TC, it creates "lib_" folder with .jar files and avd gives error.

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Interesting! I assume TC is Total Commander.
Yes and giving benefit of doubt to TC, I further investigated and found 7-Zip does shows the said jar files but in a '_' folder.
b4a3.png b4a2.png

At least now we know 7-Zip extracts them properly in correct parent folder.

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0