B4J Question Start developing for Raspberry

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would like to do some experiments but keep costs down. Thought this product is a good place to start learning?

Filippo

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would like to do some experiments but keep costs down. Thought this product is a good place to start learning?
Try something like this:

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
From your thread tittle and since its been posted in the B4J forum, I think you REALY mean Raspberry Pi series Boards....
Those are SOC boards, so basically a small PC in a very Small format, capable of running Android, Linux, and even in some cases, WIndows11.

The board you linked to, although created by the same company, is NOT an SOC, but a micro-controler. These are in the same familly of Arduino compatible boards, like the ESP8266, ESP32, Arduino Uno, Due, Micro, NAno, etc...

So, if what you want is create something like a webserver, then you need an SOC, and you are in the right forum.
If, on the other hand, you want to play with controling lights, low power loads, quadcopter, etc (basically micro-electronics) then the board you linked to is a good candidate, but you need to go to the B4R section!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the complete explanation. I would like a raspberry or similar device to program it in b4j

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the complete explanation. I would like a raspberry or similar device to program it in b4j
just search for SOC (System On a Chip) Boards or SBC (Single Board Computer)... you'll get RaspBerry, Banana and Orange PI's as the more easily available, and also some Panda Latte...
You can also do a quick browse into the youtube chanel "explainingcomputers.com"

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Solution

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I just edited the post you marked as anwser, it is now more accurate and included a link to the bespoke youtube chanel

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Dal titolo, ti suggerirei questo, @Star-Dust:

1708500323847.png

😄

Upvote 0

KiloBravo

Licensed User
IMHO a lot of projects I see with a PI (or whatever flavor) is serious overkill. A B4J app running on a PC talking to a $5 ESP32 over Wifi can get most jobs done. If you know B4J you can easily program in B4R. Obviously, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a
IMHO a lot of projects I see with a PI (or whatever flavor) is serious overkill. A B4J app running on a PC talking to a $5 ESP32 over Wifi can get most jobs done. If you know B4J you can easily program in B4R. Obviously, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
Raspberry pi4 ( and had a pi3B before that) that is currently used as a klipper Server for my 3D Printer... but before that, it has been a media center, a NAS, and a few other things I can't remember ... and at times, a weird paper weight... so the big advante is not blocking your pc for something that its main purpose it to sit and "listen" to some periferals sending or requesting data... on a 24/7 basis.
But I do agree that, at current price tags, an old pc is as good of an option...

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I ordered an esp32 and it will arrive in a few days. I will need it to do some tests and experiments.

2hat I want to do is transfer one of my applications that I created with b4j to a Raspberry or something to seed. in this case I won't have to rebuild my code on b4r.

This application is a server-like application that projects images and text onto a screen connected with HDMI. The reason is that I don't want to simply sell the software but I want to sell the Raspberry inside a cover with pre-installed software, so as to function as if it were an Android box connected to the TV. it would also make it difficult to copy the software

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
sell the Raspberry inside a cover with pre-installed software, so as to function as if it were an Android box connected to the TV
keep in mind that, as any other computer, the Raspberry Pi board does not have any kind of built in ROM, and relies on external storage to run an OS, being it an SD card (by default) or an HDD or SSD. At current price tags, with a RPi4 that costed me abround 45€ two years ago, now selling for almost the double, plus the storage solution, plus the case and power block... you are already at the price tag of a middle end tablet price.

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
keep in mind that, as any other computer, the Raspberry Pi board does not have any kind of built in ROM, and relies on external storage to run an OS, being it an SD card (by default) or an HDD or SSD. At current price tags, with a RPi4 that costed me abround 45€ two years ago, now selling for almost the double, plus the storage solution, plus the case and power block... you are already at the price tag of a middle end tablet price.
Your assessment is correct.
What I want is a box without a screen, so it would cost less than an Android Box which I purchase for around €30 and has an integrated HDMI output. Not all tablets have an HDMI output. The box better reflects what I want to achieve

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Android Box which I purchase for around €45 and has an integrated HDMI output. Not all tablets have an HDMI output.
Have you tried to hack it? most android boxes can run linux... the major issue is how to install it... you should star there... find a reasonable priced ANdroid TV box that has already been throught the paces of Linux installing... then you would just need to upload your app to it and make it run on boot.

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you tried to hack it? most android boxes can run linux... the major issue is how to install it... you should star there... find a reasonable priced ANdroid TV box that has already been throught the paces of Linux installing... then you would just need to upload your app to it and make it run on boot.
I have several Android Boxes, I have already made Android Apps that work very well. I need to transform my App for Android and make it Start-At-Boot or KIOSK type.

I think that this way I reduced costs and obtained the same result

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I can't consider myself an expert on this field, but the reason why you need a Rapberry Pi is eluding me... if you already can do it with a Android TV box, why re-invent it?

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I can't consider myself an expert on this field, but the reason why you need a Rapberry Pi is eluding me... if you already can do it with a Android TV box, why re-invent it?
In fact there is no reason. But when it started the idea was born while I was thinking about doing some experiments on Arduino.

From this I started to think that I could move my App to Arduino and subsequently I thought it was better to move to Raspberry so as to use the SW already ready in B4J.

But in reality, as you suggest, all this is useless

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But in reality, as you suggest, all this is useless
Not useless.. at the very least, you will learn how these boards work... they are a lot of FUN.... and Frustration at times.
I was just trying to understand what/Why you were aiming at a Raspberry pi...

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Not useless.. at the very least, you will learn how these boards work... they are a lot of FUN.... and Frustration at times.
I was just trying to understand what/Why you were aiming at a Raspberry pi...
Sooner or later I'll probably also get a Raspberry to experiment with. For now I'll start with ESP32.

Upvote 0