Android Question Suggested tutorial(s) for B4A newbie?

Jeffrey D. Spiegler

Licensed User
Hello,

I am a B4A newbie, though I have much experience writing C code for embedded systems (multi-threaded, real-time software for machine and network control and monitoring, under various RT OSes (VxWorks, embedded Linux, VRTX, self-rolled schedulers, etc, but no GUIs) and VB6 programs under Windows, mostly to monitor and configure those systems. I now have an Android app to develop, using B4A. I am having "learning curve" issues, I'll call it. I have downloaded several date/time pickers (as that is the first thing I am trying to accomplish, seemed pretty straightforward) controls (controls? views? packages? not even sure what the proper term is for them) and have had no luck getting their example applications to run, with various errors ("directory .\exDir missing"; missing libraries (figured that one out, I think , by adding them to my additional libraries directory); and some from inside the Android tools directory ("error: No resource identifier found for attribute 'layout_scrollFlags' in package 'b4a.example'" and "Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at 'layout_behavior' with value '@string/appbar_scrolling_view_behavior').".

I have no idea if I am downloading the package/libraries incorrectly, unzipping them to the wrong place(s), adding them to the project incorrectly, etc., and I haven't been able to find a document/booklet that describes in excruciating detail (like I think I need right now, sorry) on how to do all of that. The errors from the Android side seem particularly intimidating, as I came to B4A to avoid as much of that complexity as possible...

I did carefully go through the B4A section of "User's Guide" booklet, and the Libraries section of the IDE booklet, but those didn't get me past the erros I am now encountering.

Any suggestions for how I might climb this learning curve more quickly, or a retelling of how other folks managed would be greatly appreciated. Or whether my approach is all wrong in the first place. As mentioned, though I am a newbie to B4A development (and mobile app development in general), I have decades of experience developing software, for some quite complex applications areas. Though I do realize that the phone that so easily slips into my pocket is no slouch in the complexity department...

Thanks much in advance,
Jeff

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User
Welcome ...

A few links that will help you out .

B4A Beginners Guide (obsolete but still useful) ... https://www.b4x.com/android/files/guide.zip

B4X Booklets (more up to date , There is a section "Getting Started") ... https://www.b4x.com/android/files/Booklets.zip

and of course the excellent video tutorials , (see 'First B4A App" etc) ... http://etp.b4x.com/

and you have the forum if you are still stuck ... one question at a time. Use the Search tool first of course , checking it has not been asked before.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Let me introduce myself. I develop software for Windows in various programming language, like Xbase++, Harbour MiniGUI, AutoHotkey, AutoIt3 to name a few.

I have B4A since version 3.0 but I am still learning it, as I can allot very little time to it due my project work pressure.

Android is changing very fast, faster than Windows. All the codes you have written in C, run still same in Windows 10, but it is different story in Android, other than basic case.

I can give you tips, which I follow,
  1. Always use latest B4A version, if possible. The version 9.0 is tremendously good in terms of speed and features.
  2. Always take out time to read this Forum messages. Your knowledge in many areas will increase without even writing a single line.
  3. Use Bookmarks judiciously to refer them when needed, i.e. coding something similar.
  4. Download latest example/sample projects (yes, older examples may give various errors due to obsolete/removed libraries) and run them.
  5. Try to run on real phone, as far as possible, in release mode.
And yes, feel fully FREE to ask questions, even if it sounds silly, we love to help :)

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0