Update about the next version (2.70)

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Basic4android v2.70 BETA 1 was released.

The new features and improvements are:

- Compiler warnings. There will be about 30 types of warnings. Most of them detected whenever you save the project (or with the new "test compilation" option).

SS-2013-05-02_17.41.51.png

Note that the logs support colors to make it easier to see the errors, warnings and "info" messages. There is also a new keyword named LogColor which allows you to log messages in a specific color.

The warnings engine is very useful for both large projects and small projects and it finds many common mistakes (or possible mistakes) before you even run the program.

- Custom views. The designer will support adding custom views (with classes or libraries).

SS-2013-05-02_17.26.32.png

SS-2013-05-02_17.27.30.png

- Classes support properties.

SS-2013-05-02_17.29.14.png

The property code in this case is:
B4X:
'Gets or sets the text
Sub getText As String
   Return btn.Text
End Sub
Sub setText(t As String)
   btn.Text = t
End Sub

- Bitmaps handling improved - LoadBitmap / LoadBitmapSample handle "out of memory" errors internally by down-scaling the image. This also affects the visual designer.

- DateTime.ListenToExternalTimeChanges - raises an event when the device time is set or when the time zone changes (and updates the internal time zone used).

- Screenshot tool improved.

- CallSub improvements:
Returns Object instead of String.
Sender is set when calling from a class.
Significant performance improvements when calling subs in classes.
No error is raised if the target sub is not found when calling from a class (useful for events implementations).

- #LibraryName attribute.

- Library dependencies resolver can now handle cases as described here.

- Bug fixes and other minor improvements.

Edit: The beta is now released. Users who are eligible for a free upgrade will receive an email with the download link.

Thank you for your help. Please start new threads if you encounter any issue.

As this is a beta version, make sure to backup your projects before loading them with the new version.
You can install this version together with previous versions.

tucano2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks !!!. Excellent. Has prevision to breakpoint function showing variables values ? :icon_clap:

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
It worked great and had no problems with my old projects.

Btw, this is my first post after using this software for a long time.
Thank you all!!!

Has prevision to breakpoint function showing variables values ?
The debugger was not modified in this version. However it already allows you to see the variables values.

Upvote 0

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel, can you explain the library resolution feature? Does this mean if I use a wrapped library that I no longer have to include the other original libraries in my project?

Upvote 0

nitinb4a

Licensed User
Longtime User
Congratulations for new version

Thanks Erel,

For new B4A v2.70 Beta1 and its great features.

BR
Nitin

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
can you explain the library resolution feature?
Previously if you had a library that was dependent on another user library then you needed to reference both libraries. If not then the following problem will appear:
[BUG] Code Module Variables Not Initialized on Compile to Library

With this change the compiler knows that it needs to add a reference to the other library and also to initialize it as required.

Upvote 0

ivanomonti

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
what I like about this Basic4Android and its validity in all that can be done, of his community, the seriousness that Erel provides.

I will continue to follow this software as a fan because in the end is as good as Visual Studio, Xcode, Xamarin and many other well-known.

Thank

Upvote 0

Asmoro

Licensed User
Longtime User
That's great Erel, but you're running too fast for me.:sign0148:
I'm still using the V2.3.:D

Upvote 0

pereskjo

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for your greate work Erel.

I have a question about "Intelli-sense":
Do automatic Intelli-sense come in a future version?
(without pressing Ctrl + Space)

Upvote 0

gulliver

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wonderful. :sign0060:
For some time I've been away from programming. :sign0008:
I have to resume with B4A.
Great Erel. :wav:

Upvote 0

touchsquid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Touch event in 2.70

We have an app that allows moving a panel around using the touch event. The panel being moved is the same on capturing the event.

It worked perfectly in version 2.5 but not in 2.70. What breaks the event is a bringtofront (of the panel being moved) which results in an action value of 3 which is not defined, then stops responding to move.

Another bug is that some buttons give a "not initialized" error after they have been initialized and used once. This is not consistent, but did not happen in previous versions.

Upvote 0

Jim Brown

Licensed User
Longtime User
The class properties (getters/setters) is a very welcome addition. Thanks Erel. B4a is so much more powerful.

Upvote 0

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
Previously if you had a library that was dependent on another user library then you needed to reference both libraries. If not then the following problem will appear:
[BUG] Code Module Variables Not Initialized on Compile to Library

With this change the compiler knows that it needs to add a reference to the other library and also to initialize it as required.

Thanks Erel, I have read that post and it makes sense.

But does this mean I still need to "check" the library check boxes in the IDE for the libraries my wrapper library uses? Or will it resolve it automatically.

Example;

I have a wrapper library called Z which wraps 3 other jar files A, B and C. A/B/C each have a dummy XML file in the Additional Libraries folder so that they show up in the IDE.

At the moment I have to check (in the IDE, Libs tab) Z + A + B + C

Does the new feature mean I only have to check Z?

Upvote 0

touchsquid

Licensed User
Longtime User
We have an app that allows moving a panel around using the touch event. The panel being moved is the same on capturing the event.

It worked perfectly in version 2.5 but not in 2.70. What breaks the event is a bringtofront (of the panel being moved) which results in an action value of 3 which is not defined, then stops responding to move.

Another bug is that some buttons give a "not initialized" error after they have been initialized and used once. This is not consistent, but did not happen in previous versions.

I have reverted to version 2.52. This version 2.70 has many desirable features but is too buggy to use for now.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Does the new feature mean I only have to check Z?
Yes.

This version 2.70 has many desirable features but is too buggy to use for now.
This is still a beta version. It expected to have issues.

However in order to fix this issues we need more information. Can you upload your project or send it by mail?

View.BringToFront was not changed in this version. It was changed in v2.30.

Upvote 0