Android Question Using Searchview to capture String

Eric McDonald

Licensed User
Hello all,

Fairly new to B4A, so this may be a simple question... but it's got me stumped.

I am using a SearchView as found in the SearchViewExample (found on the forum).

However, I am having difficulty implementing it into my own code. What I wish to do is take the selected text (from the csv file which is selected in the SearchView) and capture it into a String variable (it's an object right now... I think). From there, I'll be able to use that String variable in various instances, like a label, table, etc.

The zipped file of code is a slightly modified version of the example I'm getting this from. It basically adds a label, button, and String that I plan to further use in other code projects. Thought it would be simplest showing it this way.

Any help would be awesome guys, thanks for your time!

Attachments

• SearchViewModified.zip
    47.2 KB · Views: 173

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
You need to give more detailed information on what exactly you want to do with the selected value?
You can memorize the value in a process global string value and use it where ever you want.
What exactly do you mean with:
It basically adds a label, button, and String that I plan to further use in other code projects?
I'm afraid that you don't really know how Android does work.
I suggest you to watch Erels' videos, more specific B4A - Life Cycle and/or
to have a look at the B4X Booklets, more specific B4x Basic Language chapter 3 Program flow / Process life cycle.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
What I wish to do is take the selected text (from the csv file which is selected in the SearchView) and capture it into a String variable (it's an object right now... I think). From there, I'll be able to use that String variable in various instances, like a label, table, etc.
You get the selected String in the Event
B4X:
Sub SearchView1_ItemClick(Value As String)
    Msgbox("Chosen value: " & Value, "")
End Sub
It is up to you to use the given String and assign it to a variable or use it in other ways.
For example you can add the selected value to a listbox
B4X:
Sub SearchView1_ItemClick(Value As String)
    'Msgbox("Chosen value: " & Value, "")
    ListView1.AddSingleLine(Value)
End Sub

I suggest to get an read @klaus Booklets (see link in Klaus post). As you are a new member you´ll find a lot of useful resources in there.
You also can watch Erels Tutorial videos (See the LEARN Link at the Top).

Upvote 0

Eric McDonald

Licensed User
@DonManfred that worked perfectly! Thanks so much, exactly what I was looking for. Didn't know it was that simple haha.
I'll be sure to look at some of those videos and booklets @klaus mentioned.
Thanks for the help guys!

Upvote 0