Games What's the latest?

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
It feels like it's been a bit quiet here lately, game making wise. What's everyone's current projects? And what framework/libraries are you using?

I'm updating my old retro space invaders clones, that use the libGDX library. I know I should probably look into X2 to make them cross platform, but haven't got round to that yet.

I'm toying with the idea of releasing a pacman clone, I released a Tetris clone a while ago now, and that didn't get anywhere, I did think maybe of updating it to use cute graphics and adding a few features that might make it stand out, but PacMan feels like it may have more potential for high downloads.

@melonZgz Your Crossy Road game looks great, I'd love to see how that develops closer to release, what frame work are you using, I think you use just LibGDX and your own functions, is that still the case?

@ilan How you doing? I played Pixel Knight today for the first time in ages, I'd forgotten what a nice game it was, any plans to revisit it for a sequel? Maybe taking some inspiration from Castlevania or ghosts and goblins?

@Jack Cole How are you? You had probably the highest download numbers on B4A powered games with Mind Games, how's it going?

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry andymc to use your post, but, do you know something of @Geezer? I love your game Panelz, but I haven't seen him on the forum for a long time.

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, I'm as usual with ups and downs. Now while I'm recovering from an injury I have time to update all the games I have half done.
My biggest game is Hill Racing, with several million downloads. It had a very very good run, with sometimes more than 100,000 downloads a day, but it didn't last as long as I would have liked.
I was banned from admob and had a lot of problems with Google (reasons why one loses the illusion in these things), now with things solved I hope to move from Unity Ads to Admob all my games soon, because the benefit of AdMob is unrivaled.
In a month I hope to release a big update of Hill Racing one and officially launch Cross The Road.
As next projects, I think Puzzle Bubble (Bust a move) game would work well, so I have it next on the list.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, I'm as usual with ups and downs. Now while I'm recovering from an injury I have time to update all the games I have half done.
My biggest game is Hill Racing, with several million downloads. It had a very very good run, with sometimes more than 100,000 downloads a day, but it didn't last as long as I would have liked.
I was banned from admob and had a lot of problems with Google (reasons why one loses the illusion in these things), now with things solved I hope to move from Unity Ads to Admob all my games soon, because the benefit of AdMob is unrivaled.
In a month I hope to release a big update of Hill Racing one and officially launch Cross The Road.
As next projects, I think Puzzle Bubble (Bust a move) game would work well, so I have it next on the list.
That's great to hear @melonZgz Hill racing has a lot of potential. It would be great to see Google play leader boards for this game, or daily challenges, that sort of thing. You're games are great example of what B4A can do, they look very professional. It would be great if you produced a few blog posts on how you develop your games.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@ilan How you doing? I played Pixel Knight today for the first time in ages, I'd forgotten what a nice game it was, any plans to revisit it for a sequel? Maybe taking some inspiration from Castlevania or ghosts and goblins?
hi andy

i found out the the drawing in libgdx is different when you have 60hz screen and 120hz screen.
there are many threads about it

i could not find a solution for it and also in the forum no one answered my question:

so if you will play pixel knight on 120hz you will see it runs very fast.
if you have a solution i would be very happy to hear it. until then i cannot use libgdx for my games.

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
hi andy

i found out the the drawing in libgdx is different when you have 60hz screen and 120hz screen.
there are many threads about it

i could not find a solution for it and also in the forum no one answered my question:

so if you will play pixel knight on 120hz you will see it runs very fast.
if you have a solution i would be very happy to hear it. until then i cannot use libgdx for my games.
Yes, I've also had issues with devices with 120Hz, wich run very fast, what makes then unplayable.
Do you have a fixed step on your box2d step call?
Change

B4X:
World.Step(1/60, 8, 3)
to
B4X:
World.Step(deltatime, 8, 3)

Where deltatime is lGdx.Graphics.DeltaTime

I did it in my cross the road game and now it runs at the same speed in all devices...

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i actually use World.Step(lGdx.Graphics.DeltaTime, 8, 3)

but my issue is this:

in LG_Update Event i draw all my characters in the game and i use

B4X:
Batch.DrawRegion2

i have also a variable called frames that i increase each time the LG_Update is called and all drawing depends on this variable.

i use lxtextureregion to load the animation from a spritesheet

B4X:
    player_idle.Initialize("idlesprite.png")  'fall
    playeridle_region.InitializeWithTexture(player_idle)
    Dim playeridle_frames(,) As lgTextureRegion = playeridle_region.Split(32,32)

as you can see i use MOD 5 because when i was testing on 60 hz phone it looked fine to me. every character has a different value.

B4X:
 Batch.DrawRegion2(playeridle_framesflip(0,playerindex Mod 5),vec2.x-objcordinate.width*1.1,vec2.y-objcordinate.height/1.85,objcordinate.width*2.1,objcordinate.height*1.8)

this is my issue. because on 120hz phone the LG_Update event is called 2 times more then when using 60hz phone. this is what it seems to me. and that is why the mod 5 is basically turned to mod 2.5 because it runs 2 times faster.

i know it is coded wrong. when i learned to use libgdx i used andymc flappy bird example and this is how he has done it. i need to mention that i created this game long time ago. today i would not use the same technique to draw an animation.

do you see a simple solution for me?