Games where to start game development?

smithmaxwell

Hi,
I am a student of computer science, currently enrolled in my 2nd semester, I love playing games and noticed that I have interest in game development too.
Now the question is where to start the game development, I want to develop games like free fire, happy wheels, critical ops etc,
please guide me about that in a best-guided way.
thanks

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
hi,

do you want to make it for mobile or desktop?

if it is for mobile you have basically 4 options:

1, X2 = a 2d b4x cross library that also uses Box2d Physic engine. 1 code will work on all 3 platforms!
2, Libgdx = very powerful d2 game engine that also can use box2d physic engine. B4A only (Android)
3, iSpritekit = very powerful 2d game engine that also uses box2d physic engine. B4i only (iOS) and also my favorite :)
4, Core = for simple games. it is simple to start with. in most cases, it is enough. 1 code will work on all 3 platforms!

there are many many examples here in the forum. look at my signature ;)

smithmaxwell

thankyou very much for your kind suggestions and guidance. I will definitely start from core to make simple games.

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
4, Core = for simple games. it is simple to start with. in most cases, it is enough. 1 code will work on all 3 platforms!

@ilan When you say "core", is that a specific library/class you mean, or just the "core" abilities of B4X?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@ilan When you say "core", is that a specific library/class you mean, or just the "core" abilities of B4X?
as @LucaMs already answered it is the core library that you have to use for any b4x project. no other libraries are needed although i would use xui library to have it cross-platform.

there are many many free sources and simple examples to start with. check out my signature for free sources.
a simple example to start with would be this one: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/free-source-codes.53152/post-333010
(just note that it was made in 2015 and not used xui lib but should be very simple to make it cross-platform!)

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, games are pretty easy to get started on. It's mainly just a matter of controlling how big a game you try to do. If you've not written any game yet, then it's good to start simple, by making your own version of things like Tetris, break out, pong, that of thing, just to learnt he basic of moving objects on the screen, handling collision detection, keeping score, menus, etc... Then you can move on to multiplayer (either turn based or realtime).

From the games you've mentioned, you want smooth motion, so something like XUI2D or the LibGDX library would work well for some 2D game to get started. It is possible to write 3D games with B4X tools, but you may find using an engine like Godot might be better. There's plenty of tutorials (including my own on using LibGDX with B4A) on youtube covering all this.

One mistake I see a lot of new game coders doing, is trying to learn Unity or Unreal, both are huge engines that have way more features than you'd need for small game projects (and end up with big install sizes on mobile devices too, which puts off players with basic phones).