Wish Will the B4A IDE ever be available for Mac?

paris7162

Licensed User
Longtime User
Are we ever getting a native Mac B4x IDE? I use a Parallels virtual machine to use the app. At this point I believe Erel can do anything so I would like to not have to boot up a virtual machine to use the IDE.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
If it helps, do know that I fully agree with your request and I see it as a high priority.
The IDE is heavily based on Microsoft .Net WPF + other powerful .Net UI libraries. These technologies are Windows only.
The current IDE is (very) good. It has good performance, it is flexible and it fits B4X like a glove. I don't want to invest a lot of time and efforts to build a new cross platform IDE that will be eventually worse than the current one.

Microsoft is pushing to make .Net cross platform. This might open new possibilities.

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
If it helps, do know that I fully agree with your request and I see it as a high priority.
The IDE is heavily based on Microsoft .Net WPF + other powerful .Net UI libraries. These technologies are Windows only.
The current IDE is (very) good. It has good performance, it is flexible and it fits B4X like a glove. I don't want to invest a lot of time and efforts to build a new cross platform IDE that will be eventually worse than the current one.

Microsoft is pushing to make .Net cross platform. This might open new possibilities.

Can we know wich libraries, in addition to Visual Studio, are used?

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
There is no such thing as a Visual Studio library. VS is just the IDE that enables project compilation and debugging. The libraries are mostly part of the .NET Framework with the IDE editor having originated as a third party WPF control.

I think that wit "...other powerful .Net UI libraries..." Erel meant libraries external to the Microsoft development environment

Indic Software

Licensed User
@Erel,
Would it be possible to convert your code for B4X IDE to Mono?

I am asking because Mono runs on Linux as well as MacOS. And Mono has managed to replicate most of the libraries of .NET.