Wish Will there be a Basic 4 iOS eventually?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Periklis Koutsogiannis

Licensed User
Longtime User
Too good to be true. But since Erel has proved to be a genius in terms of making wonders come true, I can't wait!

We are currently using http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi to build cross platform apps, but since yesterday, we started porting our entire codebase to basic4android for our Android users. A basic4iOS would be just perfect!

(A die hard coder since mid 80's)

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,

I guess it will work similar to B4A i.e. that at the time of compiling, you will convert the Basis-dialect into native code. If this is the case, will it be Objective-C or perhaps the recently announced Swift-language (which actually does not look too difficult)?

Or perhaps you have another solution in mind (wouldn't surprise me :) ), perhaps based on MONO?

Maybe you cannot reveal this in this moment (for various reasons) but it would be interesting to know.

CidTek

Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree that you need to be familiar with iOS design guidelines. However you don't need to be a Mac user for that.

I personally feel one would do a better job if you immerse yourself in the culture. Design works best when it is intuitive but experience comes a close second since we can't all be Jony Ives.

Periklis Koutsogiannis

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am a Delphi die-hard since mid 80's (turbo pascal) ... but in my mind a b4a + b4i bundle will make everything else look obsolete.

PS: We have already a site licence for delphi xe6 enterprise

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I like(d) Turbo/Borland Pascal aswell, too bad it didn't go much further than Pentium with a required exe fix.

Don't think the fix works for todays speedy machines.

That IDE ruled with the inside help containing all you needed to now which was quite unique back then
(ALAB had/has that too for those who wrote stuff in 80x86 ASM)

Widget

Licensed User
Longtime User
Too good to be true. But since Erel has proved to be a genius in terms of making wonders come true, I can't wait!

We are currently using http://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi to build cross platform apps, but since yesterday, we started porting our entire codebase to basic4android for our Android users. A basic4iOS would be just perfect!

(A die hard coder since mid 80's)

Like you, I've been using Delphi since forever (Turbo Pascal 1.1).
I was planning on developing with XE6/XE7 for iOS and Android in a couple of months.

1) Can you tell me why you jumped ship from XE6 to B4A for Android development? Especially since you had all that money and time invested in Delphi. (It could save me a lot of time and money if I discover this now instead of later). :)

2) Are you developing database apps for Android? Games?

TIA
Widget

Antony Danby

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is not possible to run a Mac on a PC. As I see it you will eventually need a Mac if you plan to develop iOS apps. All other solutions will be too cumbersome (especially with larger projects).

Mac Mini costs around $600.

Note that I would have been very happy to find a solution that doesn't require a Mac...

What about getting hold of Virtual PC; installing that on your PC and setting up OSX as a virtual box. I have often have Windows XP, Windows 7 and Linux running under my Windows 8 and Windows 7 PC's. It's very stable. I actually do my day time work like this, as I have to have an XP box for developing onto sat on my Windows 7 dev machine. I know of people who have run OSX in a virtual box under a Windows OS. It is possible; trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.