Other Another nice & smart Google rule?

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A member received this "warning" (?) about his new app:

1581618008655.png

Publishers cannot place Google ads on pages or apps where dynamic content (e.g. live chat, instant messaging, auto-updating comments, etc.) is the primary goal.

His app mainly uses FCM to share a list of data between friends; after he added a chat.

Now... what "cannot place Google ads" means? That he can place ads of different providers? 😦🤪🤮

This would also mean that anyone who uses FCM could not add ads - unless these FCM messages are completely secondary to the purpose of the app.

Too often Google brings out incomprehensible things!

😡🤬
😡🤬 😡🤬 😡🤬 😡🤬 😡🤬

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think what they are saying is that if you have a page in your app that is displaying dynamic content (live chat, instant messages), you can NOT also have ads on that same page.

In other words, your app needs to display the ads on a separate page that is separate from the page that displays the live chat/messaging threads.

You might be able to get around this rule by having the app display an ad when the app is first started, but then hide the ad when the chat screen is being displayed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think what they are saying is that if you have a page in your app that is displaying dynamic content (live chat, instant messages), you can NOT also have ads on the same page.

In other words, your app needs to display the ads on a separate page that is separate from the page that displays the live chat/messaging threads.
ads on pages or apps

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you can't have ads at all in apps that have chat, that would be unfortunate.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Amazon and other ads providers! This is the only solution I can see!

too bad most of the others can't be used (no B4A libs) or they don't generate a lot revenue (mostly pay per install onle)

Upvote 0

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Publishers cannot place Google ads on pages or apps where dynamic content (e.g. live chat, instant messaging, auto-updating comments, etc.) is the primary goal.
As I understand the sentence, specially by its end "...is the primary goal", it only applies to those apps that are themselves chats, forums, ... but not to those that implement it as an extra (a game with a chat to talk with your oponents), neither those ones that use FCM for this or other purposes. But who knows...🧐

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I did a little "test", right now.

First 12 chat apps containing ads I found:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myyearbook.m

I chose to register to the third because it was the first one where I saw that the screenshots were cut so as not to show that it contains banners.
It is MeetMe - 50M+ downloads.

As I had assumed, the cut screenshots are intended to hide the presence of banners to the "guest", the one who is only visiting that page, since it is everywhere, even in the chat itself.

As I understand the sentence, specially by its end "...is the primary goal", it only applies to those apps that are themselves chats
I "suspect" that the "primary goal" of MeetMe is to chat; or, better, the only goal.

MeetMe1.png

Note that some b4x.com members have had problems from Google which says that banners must not be very close to the main/most used views of an Activity, as in this case the box for entering the message to be sent.

MeetMe2.png

Here I think to understand that the ads provider is MoPub which, perhaps, has nothing to do with Google. Does this mean what I thought I understood in Google's message, that for Google the only important thing is that its advertising is not shown?

I don't understand if Google knows what it does, sometimes; maybe it needs a psychiatrist. Or maybe some of his employees try to enjoy trying to exercise their little "power".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't understand if Google knows what it does, sometimes; maybe it needs a psychiatrist; or maybe some of his employees try to enjoy trying to exercise their little "power".
Just to be clear, I take responsibility for what I write (unfortunately mine is only a nickname, I made a wrong choice) and therefore Anywhere Software has none; also, I say that I'm not an employee of Anywhere Software (unfortunately 😄)

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, now I understand better: Google italian message version is... wrong!

This is the original, in english:

1581683298400.png

Google, in its italian message, did not specify "of the page"; it wrotes:

However, If so, you cannot add a banner to a chat Activity (IF IT IS SO!), but... you must be careful not to put the banner ad too close to the chat input textbox (see my previous post).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
in your screenshot with a fat finger you will accidently press that banner for sure when trying to press the input field. that's what they want to avoid.

I don't know why they don't like it on the chat apps tho. maybe because your focus will be on the chat text and not on the banner?
when the banner changes to another one you will notice it and look at it anyway.

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
in your screenshot with a fat finger you will accidently press that banner for sure when trying to press the input field. that's what they want to avoid.
I "know" (understand) this reason; what I meant is that they write, not literally "do not place banners too close to a chat input box" and elsewhere "you cannot place banners on your chat app [in italian!] - chat page".

maybe because your focus will be on the chat text and not on the banner?
I suspect that if you don't put the banner this thing wouldn't improve very much 😂:mad:

Upvote 0

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
On Lovoo is it funny to see, on the "Match" tab where you can like or dislike a person, the banner on the bottom is reloading after some seconds and everytime i click on the profile from the person...

Or suddenly a new activity pops up with advertising and you click on it ...
And this is since over a year so on this app....

Upvote 0