Aptoide Piracy

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
So I recently discovered that 2 of my apps (Yahtzee! & Yahtzee! Plus) have been hacked & offered on Aptoide by some random "store owner". I find it very disturbing that Aptoide seemingly doesn't make any effort to verify that apps offered on their platform are legally owned by the people who are putting them in their "stores". I have emailed Aptoide, reported the apps in question & left comments on the pages where they are displayed, however I haven't had any response, nor have the apps been removed yet.

Has anyone else had this issue with Aptoide (or any other Android app distributors) & if so, were you able to resolve the issue?

My next step is to read up on Erel's tutorial on the Licensing Library to see if I can use this to stop illegal hacking of my apps by scumbags who obviously don't have enough brain cells to be able to develop their own apps.

- Colin.

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I must say I have seen my app on there as well and they have the name of the app followed by [Patched] next to it :(
My app has the Google licensing library in it and it's still on that site.

I guess if I do a update, the people that download it from that site won't get the new update into it gets hacked again.

I guess no matter what we do, people are just going to hack the app and make it so anyone can download it.
However after saying that, anyone been able to stop people hacking there apps ?

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Not my case, but just to know

Does it appear under the same name?
And, if for instance the app has ads, do they "hack" the app in such a way that these are redirected for the hacker's benefit?

Don't know what would be best, perhaps detecting the ad network and reporting it to them directly instead of aptoide?

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
The only reason I knew mine were on there was because I use TapforTap, which automatically adds apps to your account if they become active using your publisher ID. When I looked at the apps list on my TfT account, I saw 2 new apps there that like yours @aaronk were my app package name followed by something like ".game125i4". From that I was able to track them down to Aptoide. I delete them from my TfT account whenever I see them, but still see them pop up occasionally.

After reading up on the licensing library, I'm not sure if I can use it or not. I use both Google Play Store & Amazon App Store & it's not clear to me if I will have issues with the apps distributed via Amazon if I use the licensing library. Can anyone clarify whether I will be restricted to only using Play Store?

Thanks - Colin.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So I recently discovered that 2 of my apps (Yahtzee! & Yahtzee! Plus) have been hacked & offered on Aptoide by some random "store owner". I find it very disturbing that Aptoide seemingly doesn't make any effort to verify that apps offered on their platform are legally owned by the people who are putting them in their "stores". I have emailed Aptoide, reported the apps in question & left comments on the pages where they are displayed, however I haven't had any response, nor have the apps been removed yet.

Has anyone else had this issue with Aptoide (or any other Android app distributors) & if so, were you able to resolve the issue?

My next step is to read up on Erel's tutorial on the Licensing Library to see if I can use this to stop illegal hacking of my apps by scumbags who obviously don't have enough brain cells to be able to develop their own apps.

- Colin.

Unfortunately, if the hackers are able to copy the MS operating systems, our SW will never be well protected.

Probably Aptoide is not able to distinguish who is the pirate, in theory could be you; but when in doubt, it should remove the app from its site.

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's pretty worrying when you hear that someone's blood sweat and tears can be stolen and marketed by a thief.

Plus that there are 'market places' that don't give a hoot and happily carry on with that sort of thing.

I have several questions and perhaps some illuminating ideas about this.

Is wherever the stolen app appears, going to make the thief any money?
It won't (hopefully) be the Google Play Store or Amazon so will the thief actually make any money for all the effort that they've put in to stealing someone else's app?

Yahtzee is a very brilliant idea for an app but it's a one-off, you have the app finished and you sell it.

I'm starting to think that perhaps the only way to go forward in our business is to make something that is not only paid for one time because I have heard of people who have made brilliant apps where it took them a lot of effort then when they sold it they saw a sine curve of purchases that went up then down then stopped.

Look at Google Play's 'subscription' in-app purchase.

I'm looking at incorporating this into my app because of these ideas.

Let's say I make a game called Yahtzee (or I could just steal it :) ) KIDDING!

Let's say it's my game, my baby, my blood sweat and tears and I release it and people can get it for free and start playing it and oh look in the menu it says 'you can subscribe for more!' and it only costs 1 dollar.

One Dollar?

yep, for a month.

If you subscribe for a dollar then you get all the goodies for that month as the game is constantly in development.

Now, you were originally thinking of selling that one-off app for a couple of dollars weren't you? Hoping that because there are umpteen billion internet users, many of which have Android devices at least a healthy slice of them would buy your app.

Wrong idea.

See, my Yahtzee app is free and you can play it all you want but there is this subscription thing that tempts you all the time with 'extras' that you get when you subscribe and it's real easy see, just choose this option, agree to the terms and you are subscribed for that month for just one dollar.

The basic version will be updated too, a bit, but if you subscribe then you get the extra backgrounds, the extra levels, the extra things that are all current and then when your subscription runs out, don't worry, you can still play but without the extras.

So here is why I see this as the only way forward.

It builds business

Your one-off app is now something that is constantly being worked on and you know why?

Because 1000 of those 10,000 downloads subscribe and suddenly you have 1000 dollars PER MONTH

And that makes you want to keep developing it

and that makes more people want to keep subscribing

and you can do a special offer, 1 year's subscription for 10 dollars (instead of twelve)

I thank you.

btw. the thief can't do that because he doesn't have your brain.

In fact the thief stealing your app is probably only promoting it.

TomA

Licensed User
Longtime User
I know piracy can be a pain but, in my experience, people who will download pirated software (or movies or music or ...) are unlikely to buy the product anyway. If they can't get it for free, they move on and look for something else.

I have sold shareware (Windows programs) since the mid-90s and worried about this. Finally, I released a version of one program that was set to "call home" periodically and spent a lot of time searching online for pirated serial numbers for the program so each call could be checked against a known pirated number. Basically, my conclusion over the long haul was that, for every 1000 legal copies I sold, there would be 6 or 8 pirated versions used so I quit worrying about it.

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I totally agree with Tom.

Maybe we should make three laws of Basic4android programming

Law1) B4a sets you free so make lots of apps

Law2) Play about with monitization, use ads and the google play store 'subscription'

Law3) Adjust laws 1 and 2 as long as they don't conflict

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
We need to sue them :mad:
my app is also available for free instead of 1$ in google play

how can they do that??

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
We need to sue them :mad:
my app is also available for free instead of 1$ in google play

how can they do that??

Well, in order to investigate this matter, the first thing you should do is to download you app from them, reverse engineer the apk and compare the hacked java code with yours (B4A generated). Once you understand what they've done, you might be able to patch it. :)

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I did this in January/February. They remove the app but it was added again short time later.
I must say (touch wood) my app hasn't appeared on there since.
I did do a quick Google search and it only appears if I search for 'aptoide' followed by the name of my app.
However, it's a really old version of my app on that site, so if people get that old version then it won't work on newer Android OS (such as Lollipop) since there was a few bug fixes that I had to do to make my app work. So the joke is on them and they need to get the version on Google Play after all :)

I wish there was a way when end users purchase the app and they need support that we (as a developer) can see if the customer has purchased the app or not. The only way is to ask the end user for the order number Google sent when they purchased the app and then check our Google wallet account to see if the order is in the list of transactions.

It would be good if the email the end user emailed us with can be checked to see if it exists in Google wallet. Google checkout used to allow us to see there email address, but now there isn't a way to check.

Maybe Google needs to add a support page where it lets them send a email to our support emails rather than publishing the actual email on the page, and they can only send the email if they purchase the app.