Other B4A v3.80 BETA is released

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm happy to release B4A v3.80 BETA. This version includes several major new features that make it easier to develop real-world solutions and reuse code between different projects.

New features and improvements:
  • Conditional Compilation & Build Configurations: http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/conditional-compilation-build-configurations.40746/
  • Shared code modules: http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/shared-code-modules.40747/
  • #AdditionalJar attribute - Allows adding jar files to the compilation. Together with JavaObject library it is now possible to use 3rd party libraries without a wrapper (not in all cases).
  • Project meta file - This file stores "dynamic" project state: modules visibility and order, collapsed nodes, bookmarks and breakpoints. This file should be excluded from source controls.
  • Bit.InputStreamToBytes - Reads all the data from an input stream and returns an array of bytes with the data. The input stream is closed automatically.
  • JSON generator supports arrays as well as lists.
  • CreateMap keyword - A shorthand method for creating and filling Maps. For example:
    B4X:
    Dim m1 As Map = CreateMap("Key1": 10, "Key2": 20)
  • Array keyword - The type can be omitted. In that case the array type will be Object. The Array keyword now supports creating empty arrays.
  • Spinner.DropDownBackgroundColor property
  • Debugger can optionally show hexadecimal values.
  • Auto complete for layouts and assets files:

SS-2014-05-08_12.22.01.png

• Libraries filter box:

SS-2014-05-08_12.17.56.png

• Add existing modules supports multiple selection.
  • New configurable color: ToolTipDefaultText (color of non-code tool tips text)
  • Other minor improvements and bug fixes.

All users who are eligible for a free upgrade should receive an email with the link to the beta version. Please allow 12 hours for this mail to arrive.

Note that this is a beta version. You should backup your projects before loading them with the new version.
Projects saved in v3.80 cannot be opened with older versions of B4A (due to the new meta files).

Last edited:

emt2

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there a tutorial for this?
  • #AdditionalJar attribute - Allows adding jar files to the compilation. Together with JavaObject library it is now possible to use 3rd party libraries without a wrapper (not in all cases).
Thanks

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there a tutorial for this?

I would love to see/read this tutorial too :)

Upvote 0

tuhatinhvn

Licensed User
Longtime User
#AdditionalJar attribute - Allows adding jar files to the compilation. Together with JavaObject library it is now possible to use 3rd party libraries without a wrapper (not in all cases).

waiting example with full function (almost) Java

Upvote 0

wimpie3

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just installed the new version. Works fine. Too bad the filenames on the tabs are still truncated... this makes working on several files that start with the same letters more difficult.

Upvote 0

Andris

Licensed User
Longtime User
This whole B4A and B4J experience rocks! Thanks Erel (and the entire B4A community) for continuing to improve one of the most solid pieces of software on the market. I'm in awe.

Upvote 0

jazzzzzzz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel i think there must be a option to set hint text for spinner....that means insead of selecting zeroth position value as default there must be an option to not select any of the listed items....there must not be a default value for spinner...it will be an awsome feature than adding color to dropdown

Upvote 0

jazzzzzzz

Licensed User
Longtime User
also a feature to update all libraries automatically...because we dont know when some libraries are updated

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is not the place to post feature requests.

I will post an example about #AdditionalJar next week. #AdditionaJar by itself is very simple. It adds a jar file (or files) to the compiled project. If you are a bit familiar with JavaObject then you can use it to call methods from the referenced jar.
Without #AdditionalJar it was not possible to add a jar file without an XML library file.

Upvote 0

jalle007

Licensed User
Longtime User
Great work Erel, thank you very much

#AdditionalJar attribute - Allows adding jar files to the compilation. Together with JavaObject library it is now possible to use 3rd party libraries without a wrapper (not in all cases).

Does this means we can use some ads libraries in projects directly without making wrapper?

I think that ads suport and monetization of the B4A apps became a problem.
Every developer want to earn something from its app. If he hits a wall in the implementation of ads then he could easily reconsider moving to Java.

Mopub, admob, Startapp, will there be any easy integration by using this attribute ?

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Does this means we can use some ads libraries in projects directly without making wrapper?

If you are familar with javaobject then you should be able to call methods from a library without wrapper, yes. I dont know whether you get full access to the jar-methods or/and properties or not... But it souds for me that you should be able.

Let´s wait till next week when erel post an tutorial about this feature.

Upvote 0

JoeR

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel. Release 3.80 sounds great.

I want to generate 2 APKs. One has about 50 files included (in assets). The other has the same 50 files plus another 150 files.
Is there any easy way to achieve this?

Upvote 0

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I dont know whether you get full access to the jar-methods or/and properties or not... But it souds for me that you should be able.

I noticed the two new methods in JavaObject in 3.8 CreateEvent and CreateEventFromUI which will probably be enough to enable 'wrapping' straightforward jar's with B4a and JavaObject. The less I have to use Eclipse, the better.:)

Upvote 0