Other B4A v3.80 BETA is released

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm happy to release B4A v3.80 BETA. This version includes several major new features that make it easier to develop real-world solutions and reuse code between different projects.

New features and improvements:
  • Conditional Compilation & Build Configurations: http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/conditional-compilation-build-configurations.40746/
  • Shared code modules: http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/shared-code-modules.40747/
  • #AdditionalJar attribute - Allows adding jar files to the compilation. Together with JavaObject library it is now possible to use 3rd party libraries without a wrapper (not in all cases).
  • Project meta file - This file stores "dynamic" project state: modules visibility and order, collapsed nodes, bookmarks and breakpoints. This file should be excluded from source controls.
  • Bit.InputStreamToBytes - Reads all the data from an input stream and returns an array of bytes with the data. The input stream is closed automatically.
  • JSON generator supports arrays as well as lists.
  • CreateMap keyword - A shorthand method for creating and filling Maps. For example:
    B4X:
    Dim m1 As Map = CreateMap("Key1": 10, "Key2": 20)
  • Array keyword - The type can be omitted. In that case the array type will be Object. The Array keyword now supports creating empty arrays.
  • Spinner.DropDownBackgroundColor property
  • Debugger can optionally show hexadecimal values.
  • Auto complete for layouts and assets files:

SS-2014-05-08_12.22.01.png

• Libraries filter box:

SS-2014-05-08_12.17.56.png

• Add existing modules supports multiple selection.
  • New configurable color: ToolTipDefaultText (color of non-code tool tips text)
  • Other minor improvements and bug fixes.

All users who are eligible for a free upgrade should receive an email with the link to the beta version. Please allow 12 hours for this mail to arrive.

Note that this is a beta version. You should backup your projects before loading them with the new version.
Projects saved in v3.80 cannot be opened with older versions of B4A (due to the new meta files).

Last edited:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Excellent job, Erel, thank you so much..

I love the bit streem to byte array.. this is like serial to parallel and shift register combined.. saving many chips :)

can't wait to try it in a mController.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I want to generate 2 APKs. One has about 50 files included (in assets). The other has the same 50 files plus another 150 files.
There is no simple solution for this, however it should be possible:

- Create two folders: files1 and files2.
- Use #CustomBuildAction to delete the files in the Files folder and copy the files from files1 or files2 to the files folder.

If it is not clear then please start a new thread for this question.

Upvote 0

itgirl

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel
Amazing work as usual Erel, #AdditionalJar attribute was a wonderful addition as long with the auto complete for assest folder .

I'm looking forward to use this version , hopefully it got over the (CallSubDelayed) in Activity_KeyPress...

Thank you very much for this software that made life much more easier and wish you the best ;)

Upvote 0

chrjak

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm unsure about updating...
It is because of the note, that you cannot use the project after an update with older Versions...

Upvote 0

itgirl

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm unsure about updating...
It is because of the note, that you cannot use the project after an update with older Versions...
It's alwasy been like that , Plus that's why it's Beta version , maybe you can do backups because you really should try this version it has amazing features

Upvote 0

namnach

Licensed User
Longtime User
Bit.InputStreamToBytes -
and
#AdditionalJar

this my favorite.

Where is the 1000 Thank's Button?

Dear Erel,
Thank you so much!

I will test ..
TY

Upvote 0

androh

Licensed User
Longtime User
Awesome :)
Thanks Erel

• #AdditionalJar attribute - Allows adding jar files to the compilation. Together with JavaObject library it is now possible to use 3rd party libraries without a wrapper (not in all cases).

Upvote 0

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Have no idea how to do this "autohotkey script: Just assign n*Space to Tab key and bind it to b4a."

Could you explain in detail.

Thanks

BobVal

Upvote 0

PABLO2013

Licensed User
Longtime User
MUCHAS GRACIAS
LA FUNCION DE Autocompletar ES MUY IMPORTANTE PARA usarios CON POCO CONOCIMIENTO, ME PARECE MUY UTIL PARA MI....
GRACIAS

Upvote 0

SAM ShamsulBahrim

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,
Superb... pls review my proposal regarding Internet of Things in the wish lists for the next version. Android devices can be made as command panel linking all electronics via cloud.
Well done!
Sam

Upvote 0

Euxaes

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for this great update, I got the email yesterday. I'd love to try the new version but I'm not really a fan of 'Beta' stuff. Will wait for the official version to come. Cheers!

Upvote 0

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Two minor things (don't want to start a new thread for this)

The "Project/Package Name" menu is obsolete and should be removed. I think it is still in to not confuse old users but now we have two menu items which do exactly the same thing. This is more confusing to new users.

If I type
#end if
it is not case corrected automatically as the other keywords.

Edit:
Another thing: The current build configuration should be visible somewhere in the IDE. Perhaps at the status bar or in the window title.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The "Project/Package Name" menu is obsolete and should be removed. I think it is still in to not confuse old users but now we have two menu items which do exactly the same thing. This is more confusing to new users.
This is on purpose. It will be removed in the future.

#end if
it is not case corrected automatically as the other keywords.
It will be (partially) fixed.

Upvote 0