Other B4A v5.50 has been released!

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm happy to release B4A v5.50.

Developers who are eligible for a free upgrade will receive an email with a download link and a new license file. Make sure to choose the new license file when asked to locate the license.

Advanced optimizations were made to the debugger which make the debugger significantly faster.
Complete features list:
  • Debugger improvements.
  • Better handling of uncaught exceptions (Application_Error). See this tutorial:
    Uncaught Exceptions
    This feature allows developers to provide alternative ways to handle crashes. For example, to send the crash logs by mail.
  • Material themes were added to the WYSIWYG designer.

SS-2015-11-11_11.42.59.png

• Panel.Elevation / SetElevationAnimated methods (and designer property) - These methods allow setting the panels elevation. This is a new feature added in Android 5. The methods will do nothing on prior versions. See the following video:

• #DebuggerDisableOptimizations attribute: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...-is-available-for-download.58283/#post-366943
  • $AdditionalLibs$ and $AndroidSDK$ shortcuts. These shortcuts can be used in the #AdditionalRes path. They will replaced with the full path to the additional libraries folder or Android SDK folder.
  • Buttons text is no longer upper cased when the material theme is used.
  • Bug fixes and other minor improvements.
Note that the legacy debugger option has moved to Tools - IDE Options.

If you encounter a problem during registration then try to copy the license file to the installation folder. If is still doesn't work then contact [email protected] and we will send you a new license file that will fix this issue.

Franck Danard

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello Erel.

Nice job
But have you got the link to download it, or i need just download the tryal version. ?
I've received a link for the Beta version with the new licence ley.
I guess that's the same for the stable version?

Regards

Franck

Upvote 0

b4xscripter

Licensed User
Longtime User
Nice! Thanks!

By the way, when I installed this new version I was not required to put a new license as in the case of B4A v5.50 BETA. Is everything ok with the B4A v5.50 BETA license I put previously?

Best regards

Upvote 0

joneden

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel
I've installed it and the install went well however with no changes to my code I am now seeing a compilation error as below, this relates to a custom but of java on each page for the theming with teh currentthemeid being stored in the main activity. Any suggestions?

B4X:
ObfuscatorMap.txt file created in Objects folder.
Compiling layouts code.    (0.01s)
Generating R file.    (0.67s)
Compiling generated Java code.    Error
B4A line: 205
End Sub
javac 1.7.0_67
src\amonet\mobile2\activitycontactdocumentissuelist.java:722: error: cannot find symbol
    if (main._currentthemeid != 0)
            ^
  symbol:   variable _currentthemeid

B4X:
#if java
public void _onCreate() {
    if (main._currentthemeid != 0)
        setTheme(main._currentthemeid);
}
#end if

Upvote 0

joneden

Licensed User
Longtime User
Whoops, my bad - the default compile option changed to Release (obfuscicated) and I hadn't noticed! Changed back to release and all OK.

BTW I don't think it was a good idea to remove the legacy debugger option.

I find that the new one runs really slowly and also has issues with things like the Icon fonts so I use a combination of both, only using the new one when really necessary.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
BTW I don't think it was a good idea to remove the legacy debugger option.

I find that the new one runs really slowly and also has issues with things like the Icon fonts so I use a combination of both, only using the new one when really necessary.

According to Erel's post, it has only been moved:

Upvote 0

joneden

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'd noticed that and yes it works but it's just easier to have them in the same place. Until the new one is as fast as or faster than the old it would have been nice to see them in the same place and not have one relegated to another menu... Still the change has been made, onwards and upwards

Upvote 0

maxware

Licensed User
Longtime User
Italiano :
Ciao Erel
ho installato la 5.5 ma la versione vecchia 4.3 non funziona piu "An error has occured during the registrazion process. erro message:Invalid email address. Please contact...
google traslator
Hello Erel
I installed the 5.5 but the old version 4.3 does not work anymore "An error has occured During the registration the process. erro message: Invalid email address. Please contact ...

Upvote 0

kohle

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
I get the same error like maxware after the installation. See screenshot.

Attachments

• 11-11-_2015_12-25-45.png
    11-11-_2015_12-25-45.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 705
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 30048

Thank you! How I can use $AdditionalLibs$ and $AndroidSDK$ shortcuts?

Please, can you post an example?

Upvote 0

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you! How I can use $AdditionalLibs$ and $AndroidSDK$ shortcuts?

Please, can you post an example?

If you use AppCompat library and Design Support library in a project you will have to add resources to these libraries to your project. In the past this had to be done with absolute pathes. Now you can write this:

B4X:
#AdditionalRes: $AndroidSDK$\extras\android\support\v7\appcompat\res, android.support.v7.appcompat
#AdditionalRes: $AdditionalLibs$\resource\b4a_appcompat, de.amberhome.objects.appcompat
#AdditionalRes: $AndroidSDK$\extras\android\support\design\res, android.support.design
#AdditionalRes: $AndroidSDK$\extras\android\support\v7\recyclerview\res, android.support.v7.recyclerview

This is more portable between B4A installations.

For my libraries which will need resources I will add a resource/b4a_<libname> directory to my additional libraries folder in the future.

Upvote 0

Markos

Licensed User
Longtime User

Developers who are eligible for a free upgrade will receive an email with a download link and a new license file. Make sure to choose the new license file when asked to locate the license.

Advanced optimizations were made to the debugger which make the debugger significantly faster.
Complete features list:
  • Debugger improvements.
  • Better handling of uncaught exceptions (Application_Error). See this tutorial:
    Uncaught Exceptions
    This feature allows developers to provide alternative ways to handle crashes. For example, to send the crash logs by mail.

• Panel.Elevation / SetElevationAnimated methods (and designer property) - These methods allow setting the panels elevation. This is a new feature added in Android 5. The methods will do nothing on prior versions. See the following video:

• #DebuggerDisableOptimizations attribute: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...-is-available-for-download.58283/#post-366943
  • $AdditionalLibs$ and $AndroidSDK$ shortcuts. These shortcuts can be used in the #AdditionalRes path. They will replaced with the full path to the additional libraries folder or Android SDK folder.

If you encounter a problem during registration then try to copy the license file to the installation folder. If is still doesn't work then contact [email protected] and we will send you a new license file that will fix this issue.

Complete features list:
  • Debugger improvements.
    Uncaught Exceptions

Upvote 0

Markos

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is a cool upgrade.

Will there be a new B3 Bridge?

I am asking as immediately after upgrading the B4 bridge started to misbehave. I dont know the instant I upgraded my wireless started to act up. If anyone one has similar issues then it may be something requiring investigation.

Great product and looking forward to developing cool phone apps.

Cheers

Mark

Upvote 0

ibra939

Licensed User
Longtime User
Great feature

Upvote 0