Other B4J - New IDE is available (BETA)!!!

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm excited to release the first beta version of the new IDE.

SS-2015-04-30_15.13.23.png

As discussed in this thread, the IDE was rewritten.

The new IDE is significantly more powerful, smarter, more modern and more scalable.

There are too many improvements to list them all.

I will just list some features that are less obvious:

- Press on Ctrl + Click to jump to an identifier (sub, variables, etc.).
- Themes - Ctrl + T
- Sophisticated conditional compilation: #If, #Else If, #Else and support for OR and AND.
- Dockable layout. Including support for multiple open editors.
- Find all references - F7.
- Quick search - Ctrl + F.
- Goto sub / module - Ctrl + E.
- Smarter autocomplete.
- Hover over variables and expressions in debug mode.
- Structure matching.
- Automatic warnings and errors highlighting.

Requirements

- Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0+ is required. If you are running Windows XP then you should install .Net Framework 4.0: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

- Developers running Vista or above should install .Net Framework 4.5.2: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642
It is important to install the latest version as it includes important fixes. Some of the optimizations will be disabled with older versions.

This is a beta version of a new IDE. Please make sure to backup any important project before opening it with the new IDE. You can install this IDE together with a previous version (install it to a different folder).

You can download the beta version here: www.b4x.com/b4j/files/beta.exe

Please post any issues you encounter in a new thread in B4J forums.

:)

Last edited:

Jaames

Licensed User
Longtime User
Very nice . The installation is still about the same size (8 MB) and speed of IDE is around the same as before on my old PC.
Thank you Erel.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Jaames

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm not sure if that's the same JavaFX and JavaFX Scene Builder? I know that I did the separate installation but before I updated to JRE8...

Upvote 0

Swissmade

Licensed User
Longtime User
(it's Win7 Pro
Maybe reinstall Scene Builder or file association for fxml.
If you get the Dialog you also can assign a program to it. In your case Scene Builder.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
strange thing is that I have a fresh JRE an 1.8 JDK and I can't find anything with scene in the filename.

their site is also very clumsy to find what you need (it's not in the additional resources part as they wrote) :confused:

Upvote 0

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The end of the month like you said @Erel, now that's good timing for you.

I'm testing it right now. I love the new look interface, I love the new themes, I love the floating windows, I love the new Icons, sorry but there are too much to mention here. All my B4J projects are working just fine, so that's my beta testing done and dusted.

Keep up the good, no sorry absolutely GREAT WORK.

Cheers...

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
installed latest JDK, still not working. what a mess. :(

Can somebody please point me to an install on that site or on his dropbox/whatever?

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Last edited:
Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It remains slow (main & designer load) after closing the program and reopening it.

We'll see if others have it aswell, maybe it's something on this box.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just tried it and my first impression, considering it's a beta -> very good! :)

Just noted two things:
1) when trying to change theme, the IDE does not always reflect the update selected. Sometimes I need to select a new theme and then go back to the one I tried to apply.

2) One thing that I will need to get used to is the new shortcut for commenting and un-commenting :confused:. I am very used and fond of using Ctrl+q and Ctrl+w. However, a toggle shortcut as it is implemented now in the beta is fine too although I wished that the comment/un-comment icon in the menubar would be highlighted/dimmed to indicate the state. BTW, in this regard I noted that the menu-hint indicates Ctrl+' as shortcut but this shortcut does not work for me (with Italian keyboard layout). I finally found the key - see image:

itakb.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0