Wish B4J Version Number on Title Bar...

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
[Project name] - B4J - Version: 7.32

This would be nice, since I must now go to About to see what version (of many) I may be running.
Plenty of room of title bar to support this...

Thanks

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
+1

Also on Splash Screen
upload_2019-5-1_3-10-25.png

and on https://www.b4x.com/b4j.html

upload_2019-5-1_3-8-1.png

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
+ 100 - now that I think about it... ur - now that others think about it!

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There are many reasons to have multiple versions installed.
Most are bad habits left over from the MS CE days, where one got biten on each new release...
Often, one had to revert to a previous release since the current did not function.

How else can one prove that version x.1 did (or did not) do this behaviour (or was I just dreaming - sanity check)?

Thanks

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is no reason to have multiple versions installed.
Well, I don't want to open a debate on this but only which are the reasons beyond this wish
I've several aplications in production (not commercial thought), packaged with B4Jpackager, and running from users around the world.
It's easier to control exactly where and when I have to upgrade this app from one version of B4J to another, and which current version I'm downloading,running,etc.. so possible errors are minimised with these users.
When you're working with several versions of B4J all help is welcomed

On other way, when someone wants to download any application from Internet, usually the final user wants to know which is version of the application (from the Download section on the web - check VS, Arduino software, etc,.) This give the program/webpage a more professional look (or a designed webpage taking in account final user)

Even the downlabled filename could be changed for anything more readable that B4J.exe -ex: B4J731.exe)

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree that it does make sense to have multiple versions installed in some cases.
However there isn't any advantage of using B4J v7.00 instead of v.7.30 or v7.32. In the long run you should use the latest version. Bugs do happen from time to time however if there is a major bug then it will be quickly fixed.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I requested it for the website link a while (years) ago.
You simply can't tell from the hyperlink text nor linked filename (always B4J.exe) what version there is to download untill you start the installer.
As the latest update thread is never a sticky one we need to search for it aswell to compare if we still use the latest one or not or what has been changed.

Compared to the licensed downloads this (on the site) should be a quick fix since it's open for everyone.

I guess it would be ideal to have the date and list of changes of the current release there under the download button then people see the product is still alive and kicking.

Edit: or just a link to the latest version thread is fine aswell.

For me the Help > About is enough to check what version I'm running. (I always try to update my computers on the same day to have everything the same)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ok, I had to search for it 2 times before I noticed it's mentioned in the footer. :)

I first followed the download link under the java coffee cup icon as I thought you meant that
but that goes to the products > B4J page wich I usually go to from the top menu after reaching the home page.