B4X localized

billzhan

Licensed User
Longtime User
(not sure why Simplified Chinese shows more items than the English total).

Maybe it's caused by the items with multiple lines (I copied the items from MS excel to Google sheet, some items lost the format. I have corrected in Google sheet).

I find duplicated lines in ide.lang archive. Is this by design?

Attachments

• wording.PNG
    wording.PNG
    6.2 KB · Views: 238

Manuel Martinez

Licensed User
Longtime User
Checking the IDE translation, I see that neither the text 'Find sub / Module / Line number' nor the menu to float / dock the tabs are not translated. Is it still work in progress or are they going to be only in English?

screenshot.png

Laurent95

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,
Interesting thing, even i also consider that's better to use the softwares in English for developement.

A funny thing in French (my native langage) :
Variable declaration type is missing. String type will be used.
Who's translated by :
Déclaration de type de variable absent. Un string sera utilisé.

Wowww, B4x environment became sounds like a sexy shop now :D:D:D:D
(My joke of early morning...)

I'm not sure that in his langage a French could understand what that means o_O
Especially a newbie programer, that'll be worst if he's newbie in English too.

I think it's also the case for 'Sub', who is already an abreviate of Subroutines.
In minded state of this project it's not easy to understand what that means exactly in French without a good practice of other developement langages.
I seen several other like that, Layout, Designer, maybe also Views, etc.

It's my 2 cents. I'll waiting for other opinions before trying, if i have enough time, to participte and change anything.

HAve a nice day.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
You make valid points. Specifically I agree that 'Sub' should not be translated.

As a test, change the language to Chinese. I guess that you don't know Chinese which means that the IDE will become unusable for you. Now think about a developer (or someone who wants to become a developer) with very little knowledge of English.
Localizing the IDE is an important first step to lower the language barrier and make it accessible to many more developers.

Laurent95

Licensed User
Longtime User
.../...Specifically I agree that 'Sub' should not be translated.
As a test, change the language to Chinese. .../...
Localizing the IDE is an important first step to lower the language barrier and make it accessible to many more developers.

Agreed with this 2 important points.

For middle point, my god, you want to make me crazy ? o_O
Already i learned Russian in my childhood ;)

Ok, i go out :) Need to go to put an electrical shutter now, different time, different work

Tayfur

Licensed User
Longtime User
Working on the Turkish translation. After all the great support we got from Erel , I am happy to help him .
Merhaba Tufan @tufanv
Ben bir kısmı halletim, içinden çıkamadığım bazı noktalar kaldı. 20-30 satırı bakabilirsen baya bi bitmiş olacaktır.

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Variable declaration type is missing. String type will be used.
Who's translated by :
Déclaration de type de variable absent. Un string sera utilisé.
Changed.

I think it's also the case for 'Sub', who is already an abreviate of Subroutines.
In minded state of this project it's not easy to understand what that means exactly in French without a good practice of other developement langages.
In my opinion, keywords and property names should not be translated.
The beginner needs to learn the basics of the language, when he opens the IDE for the first time he will see quite some keywords and he needs to learn what these keyword are representing, one of those is 'Sub'. Then, in the inline help when he sees 'Sub' he knows what it means.
I have put the not translated words between single quotes.

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Each new version will always include the latest version

why let the users wait for an update to get the improved translation?

why not do something like this: :rolleyes:

lang1.png

you can use jHttp lib for this if you need help (code snippet) let me know :p (just kidding!)

btw i wanted to do the german translation but someone was faster then me o_O

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The file structure might change at some point and won't be supported by older versions of the IDE.

maps are a good solution for this, every label (view) has a specific key and the ide just load the value from the db file with the specific key. so even if the db structure changes the ide will always look for the views it contains and their specific key so even if someone with b4a 7 will update a language db that is updated to b4a 7.5 he will only need the cells with the labels he have in his version.

but maybe i have not took all scenarios in count :confused:

An Schi

Licensed User
btw i wanted to do the german translation but someone was faster then me o_O

I did a lot of german translation ;)
But you are more than welcome to go over it. A lot of times i was not realy sure and some things probably sound very "wooden" ;)
So - if you like to contribute, check the translations i made and improove them (or maybe let's PM about it....?)

An Schi

Licensed User
Yeah, Luca is right.
It is one thing to do the translation, but it is even better to check it without the 'duty' of delivering something.