Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all!

Basic4android v3.00 is released.

The main new feature in this version is the rapid debugger: Rapid Debugger
The rapid debugger makes it much easier and quicker to test and debug your code.

Improvements:
  • Rapid Debugger - Powerful debugger, hot code swapping, quick deployment and more.
  • Better support for large number of background tasks. This update (together with an update to the Http library) allows you to send hundreds of requests at once.
  • B4A-Bridge - Last 5 IP addresses are stored. F2 connects to the last one. Some other small improvements in the connection process.
  • For loop performance improvement.
  • Activity / Panel.GetAllViewsRecursive. Provides a simple way to iterate over all views.
  • Color picker. Right click in the code editor to show it.
  • List.SortTypeCaseInsensitive method.
  • PhoneSms.Send2 - send sms without notifications.
  • Screenshots tool - Copy to clipboard.
  • Spinner.DropDownTextColor property.
  • Compilation window closes automatically when it loses focus.
  • Bug fixes and other minor improvements (including the fix for Android 4.3 back key issue and the IDE scrolling issue).
Customers who are eligible for a free upgrade should receive an email with a download link. It can take a few hours for the mail to arrive.

I want to thank the beta testers for their help with this release. The rapid debugger is a very complicated solution. It would not have been possible without your help. :)

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello Erel,

This new version 3.0 looks very good with many useful new features. I have a couple of questions/comments:

- The IDE automatically switches from the "Modules" to the "Logs" tab when debugging/releasing. I don't really like this. Can this be switched off?

- The IDE shows many warnings. These bars make it difficult to find the actual scroll position marker of the IDE and I find them distracting (if not to say a nuisance). Also most warnings are not very interesting plus frequently not solveable nor avoidable. One of my apps has 25000 lines of code. Due to the many warnings, large parts of the scrollbar are now dark-yellow. Please add a setting to switch off these warnings entirely.

- While my apps are running, the "logs" window continuously scolls rapidly upwards showing many lines indicating "TRUE". I cannot find where this is coming from. There are no "log" commands in my source code and none of the timers is causing it. Some event must be triggering it, but the log screen provides no clues.

- It took half a dozen ADB server restarts before the ADB server actually connected to my tablet PC. This was never the case with previous versions.

- Could you please make it possible to edit the sourcecode while the debugger is running (using codemarkers to pause execution at specified code lines). In VB6 this is possible.

- Please do NOT remove the "DEBUG (legacy)" mode in future versions!
Most of these points are not related to the new version (and were discussed in other threads).

The rapid debugger allows you to update the code while the program is running.
The ADB server is not really related to this version. It is part of Android SDK.

Upvote 0

Jim Brown

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel
The Rapid Debugger is a major feature inclusion. It makes B4a a superb all-rounder. Congratulations on getting such a feature into the package.
BTW GenyMotion works perfectly well with the Rapid Debugger.

Upvote 0

Javea65

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm sad .. Having buying standard license soon (had to have expected the trial month), for 1 month now, I can not get the version 3 .. not fair, because when acquired the 2.71 version and commented that he would get the version 3. Now I hesitate to buy a license for $ 59 or spend the Eclipse which is free. (those of standard two months is "little" as it exits the versions is a matter of luck and catch any, would have to be 1 year, and you pay half of the enterprise)

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thx Erel. This release is great.

One thing to be aware of though when using the Rapid Debugger (at least I think so ;) ) : you may get OutOfMemory errors when running your apps, especially when using bitmaps. I lost a few hours reading about memory-errors, how to resolve them, experimenting with my code etc but to no avail. Then I switched to the legacy-debugger (and also normal release-mode) and noted I did not get the OutOfMemory any longer. Of course I was revealed but still rather frustrated too since it did not struck me earlier that perhaps the Rapid Debugger had this side-effect :(

Anyway the Rapid Debugger is great and a great addition to B4A but knowing beforehand that it may cause memory problems when running your apps in Rapid Debugger mode may help out other users who all of a sudden find themselves in the same situation as me.

Upvote 0

PFlores81

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all basic4androi. v3.00 is released.

The main new feature in this version is the rapid debugger: Rapid Debugger
The rapid debugger makes it much easier and quicker to test and debug your code.

Improvements:
  • Rapid Debugger - Powerful debugger, hot code swapping, quick deployment and more.
  • Better support for large number of background tasks. This update (together with an update to the Http library) allows you to send hundreds of requests at once.
  • B4A-Bridge - Last 5 IP addresses are stored. F2 connects to the last one. Some other small improvements in the connection process.
  • For loop performance improvement.
  • Activity / Panel.GetAllViewsRecursive. Provides a simple way to iterate over all views.
  • Color picker. Right click in the code editor to show it.
  • List.SortTypeCaseInsensitive method.
  • PhoneSms.Send2 - send sms without notifications.
  • Screenshots tool - Copy to clipboard.
  • Spinner.DropDownTextColor property.
  • Compilation window closes automatically when it loses focus.
  • Bug fixes and other minor improvements (including the fix for Android 4.3 back key issue and the IDE scrolling issue).
Customers who are eligible for a free upgrade should receive an email with a download link. It can take a few hours for the mail to arrive.

I want to thank the beta testers for their help with this release. The rapid debugger is a very complicated solution. It would not have been possible without your help. :)
It worked great for me in beta, never had an issue not once

Upvote 0

md10bldr

Licensed User
Longtime User
Question - Should the previous version of B4A be uninstalled first, or will running the v3.00 installer determine what needs to be updated?

Thanks
PG

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.