Other Basic4android v3.50 BETA is released

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm happy to release the first beta of Basic4android v3.50. This update brings major improvements to the debugging features of Basic4android.

With this update you can enjoy the rapidness and power of the rapid debugger with runtime performance close to non-debug deployments.

A new powerful watch expression feature is also available:

SS-2014-02-23_14.48.37.png

This allows you to easily evaluate expressions when the debugger is paused.

New features and improvements:
  • Rapid debugger runtime performance is now close to non-debugged applications.
  • Watch Expressions feature (see screenshot above).
  • The rapid debuggers uses a virtual assets folder. This makes it possible to redeploy only the modified files. This feature makes deployments of large projects with many files much faster.
  • Visual designer - Views tree performance is significantly better. Views preserve their names when pasting views between layouts.
  • #AdditionalRes attribute can be used multiple times.
  • ScrollView.ScrollToNow method (available in HorizontalScrollView as well). Immediately scrolls the ScrollView to the new position.
  • Quick Search tool (Ctrl + I) - An index based search tool for quick searching (in all modules):

k2v8.png

• Regions were added to the Find Sub (Ctrl + E) tool.
  • New attributes: #DebuggerForceFullDeployment and #DebuggerForceStandardAssets.
  • Other minor improvements and bug fixes.
This is a beta version. Make sure to backup your projects before loading them with the new version.
Beta testers, please post any issue you find in a new thread in the questions forum.

BPak

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a Program that has an ImageView added in the Designer.
In the debug legacy it compiles and installs OK.
In the Debug Rapid it throws errors mentioning the Initializing of the ImageView.

** Activity (main) Create, isFirst = true **

** Activity (main) Resume **

** Activity (main) Pause, UserClosed = false **

Copying updated assets files (1)

** Activity (main) Create, isFirst = true **

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:507)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.DynamicBuilder.build(DynamicBuilder.java:21)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.keywords.LayoutBuilder.loadLayoutHelper(LayoutBuilder.java:324)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.keywords.LayoutBuilder.loadLayoutHelper(LayoutBuilder.java:404)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.keywords.LayoutBuilder.loadLayoutHelper(LayoutBuilder.java:404)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.keywords.LayoutBuilder.loadLayout(LayoutBuilder.java:142)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.ActivityWrapper.LoadLayout(ActivityWrapper.java:208)
at betpax.mydutchbet.main._activity_create(main.java:437)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.runMethod(Shell.java:633)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.raiseEventImpl(Shell.java:301)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.raiseEvent(Shell.java:237)

at anywheresoftware.b4a.ShellBA.raiseEvent2(ShellBA.java:116)
at betpax.mydutchbet.main.afterFirstLayout(main.java:98)
at betpax.mydutchbet.main.access$100(main.java:16)
at betpax.mydutchbet.main$WaitForLayout.run(main.java:76)
at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:587)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:92)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:3683)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:839)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:597)
at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error loading bitmap.
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.drawable.CanvasWrapper$BitmapWrapper.Initialize2(CanvasWrapper.java:521)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.drawable.CanvasWrapper$BitmapWrapper.Initialize(CanvasWrapper.java:499)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.drawable.BitmapDrawable.build(BitmapDrawable.java:69)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.ImageViewWrapper.setImage(ImageViewWrapper.java:90)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.ImageViewWrapper.build(ImageViewWrapper.java:113)
... 29 more
Error occurred on line: 46 (main)
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Object should first be initialized (ImageView).

at anywheresoftware.b4a.keywords.LayoutBuilder.loadLayout(LayoutBuilder.java:162)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.ActivityWrapper.LoadLayout(ActivityWrapper.java:208)
at betpax.mydutchbet.main._activity_create(main.java:437)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.runMethod(Shell.java:633)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.raiseEventImpl(Shell.java:301)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.raiseEvent(Shell.java:237)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.ShellBA.raiseEvent2(ShellBA.java:116)
at betpax.mydutchbet.main.afterFirstLayout(main.java:98)
at betpax.mydutchbet.main.access$100(main.java:16)
at betpax.mydutchbet.main$WaitForLayout.run(main.java:76)
at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:587)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:92)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:3683)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:839)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:597)
at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Object should first be initialized (ImageView).
at anywheresoftware.b4a.AbsObjectWrapper.getObject(AbsObjectWrapper.java:46)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.ViewWrapper.innerInitialize(ViewWrapper.java:59)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.objects.ImageViewWrapper.innerInitialize(ImageViewWrapper.java:35)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.keywords.LayoutBuilder.loadLayoutHelper(LayoutBuilder.java:385)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.keywords.LayoutBuilder.loadLayout(LayoutBuilder.java:142)
... 22 more
** Activity (main) Resume **

Upvote 0

tonyhunt

Licensed User
Longtime User
Debug Highlighted Watch Line not visible.

upload_2014-3-4_1-50-33.png

I'm sure this is because of my own screen layout - Old XP - but it would be nice to see in another background colour.
The lighter Blue in the Quick Search for example.

Attachments

• upload_2014-3-4_1-50-1.png
    upload_2014-3-4_1-50-1.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0

netkomm

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you Mr. Erel.

Should I have to overwrite the actual 3.20 version for installing the 3.50 beta version?
Is it recommended to improve performances of the environment?

With Best Regards,
Max :)

since it's a beta release it would be better to keep it in a separate directory and not to use in production while waiting for the final release, I guess...

Upvote 0

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello @Erel ,
I've just thought I would try Debug(Rapid) in B4A 3.5. This is happening with my widgets. Debug(Legacy) and the two release modes work perfectly. Also I have noticed that Convert byte code - optimized dex is slower on my i7. But that could be the fact that I've just updated the AdMob to V2 with libraries, #AdditionalRes etc.

Anyway, keep up the great work :)

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,

When I use rapid debugger, I`m getting an error: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. Parameter name: index.
It happens just after the device and ide connect. Seems that stepping through each line with f8 is ok, but not if I just let it run.

I don`t use "index" in my code so I`m guessing its not something I`ve done - and I only got this since the update to 3.5beta.

Hope its something simple :)

Regards,
Mike.
Can you send me your project to [email protected]?

I will check the widgets issue. Note that you should test widgets in Release mode because widgets can start the process by themselves after it is killed.

The slowdown you see is related to AdMob 2 which depends on Google Play Services. This is a large library.

Watch Expressions allow you to evaluate expressions. It is not possible reevaluate the expressions on each line as it will make the program very slow.

Upvote 0

Shadow&Max

Licensed User
Longtime User
The problem is that when you're trying to evaluate why something has changed, it does no good when a value flashes so fast you can't see it change. You need to be able to stop execution when a value changes... or not. You need to have the program stop in debugging mode when that value that you're watching changes. That's why you're watching it in the first place. I know this is a tall order, but that's the reality.

Upvote 0

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
EDIT: Maybe I spoke too soon. It is generally faster & less laggy, but I have also seen some unexplained (& un-logged) crashes of my app - usually when applying code changes during a debug session, or on a full restart after a code change. I also saw some freezing (sometimes before a crash). None of these events occurred when I switched back to Legacy Debug mode. Sorry the descriptions are a bit vague, but there was no error logging & I haven't spent any time trying to reproduce any issues...

Thanks Erel. The Rapid Debugger seems much, much faster than it was in the first release. It was so laggy before that I couldn't even use it to test Yahtzee!, but now it's great. There is a tiny amount of intermittent lag, but it's almost as good as running it in Legacy Debug or Release mode. Good job!

- Colin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Falco32

Licensed User
Longtime User
Very Nice! Erel you are good!

Erel i have a Question is it now possible to Add Custom Properties to Designer for CustomViews ? I love the Customviews..

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Very Nice! Erel you are good!

Erel i have a Question is it now possible to Add Custom Properties to Designer for CustomViews ? I love the Customviews..
No. You can see the list of changes in the first post.

@Computersmith64 if you can reproduce it then please send me the project by mail and I'll test it.

Upvote 0

pappicio

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've created new, clean project:
add a service module:
add layout "layout2"
(add widget)
(no breackpoints setted, nothig.....)
B4X:
#Region  Service Attributes
   #StartAtBoot: False
#End Region

Sub Process_Globals
  Dim rv As RemoteViews
End Sub

Sub Service_Create
  rv = ConfigureHomeWidget("layout2", "rv", 0, "Widget Name")
End Sub

Sub Service_Start (StartingIntent As Intent)
  If rv.HandleWidgetEvents(StartingIntent) Then Return
End Sub

Sub rv_RequestUpdate
  rv.UpdateWidget
End Sub

Sub rv_Disabled
  StopService("")
End Sub

Sub Service_Destroy

End Sub

compile ok, only in rapid debug, I receive this error:
B4X:
Parsing code.  0.00
Compiling code.  Error
Error compiling program.
Error description: CreateRemoteViews can only be called once per Service.
Occurred on line: 10
  rv = ConfigureHomeWidget("layout2", "rv", 0, "Widget Name")
Word: configurehomewidget

I think it is a bug on 3.50 beta, no problem to compile in rapid debug identical project with 3.2!

I cannot test the rapid debug features, becouse on my few projects there are widgets.

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    105.6 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Upvote 0