iOS Tutorial Creating a certificate and provisioning profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't panic!
While this process can be a bit annoying it is not too complicated and you can always delete the keys and start from scratch (which is not always the case in Android).

Note that you must first register with Apple as an iOS developer (costs $99 per year).
The whole process is done on a Windows computer.

In order to install an app on an iOS device you need to create a certificate and a provisioning profile.

The certificate is used to sign the application. The provisioning profile, which is tied to a specific certificate, includes a list of devices that this app can be installed on.
Edit: pay attention to the certificate and provision profile options selection in the following screenshots (the options in the video are a bit different):

1642693415951.png

1642693576135.png

Steps required:

IDE
  • Tools - Configure Paths. It is recommended to use OpenJDK 11.
  • Tools - Build Server - Server Settings
  • Tools - Private Sign Key - fill password and click on Create New Key
UDID
Apple developer account - developer.apple.com
  • Devices - Add device
  • App Id - Create wildcard app id
  • Certificate - Create distribution certificate (ad hoc + store)
  • Provision Profile - Create distribution profile (ad hoc)

Next tutorial: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/installing-b4i-bridge-and-debugging-first-app.45871/

Last edited:

John Woodsmall

Licensed User
Longtime User
You need to create a single wildcard app id. Just make sure that it ends with .*.
if i do this then I must have the same name.* in my configuation?
but it will not let me put the .* in configuration?

Rafael Perez Jurado

Licensed User
Longtime User
Don't panic!
While this process can be a bit annoying it is not too complicated and you can always delete the keys and start from scratch (which is not always the case in Android).

Note that you must first register with Apple as an iOS developer (costs $99 per year).
The whole process is done on a Windows computer.

In order to install an app on an iOS device you need to create a certificate and a provisioning profile.

The certificate is used to sign the application. The provisioning profile, which is tied to a specific certificate, includes a list of devices that this app can be installed on.

The video shows the steps required for creating and downloading a certificate and provisioning profile.
There are two steps which are not shown in the video and are also required before you can create a provisioning profile:

- Create an App ID. This step is quite simple. Just make sure that you create a wildcard id. For example: my.id.*
- Add one or more devices. You will need to find the devices UDID for that.

UDID

Devices are recognized by their UDIDs. There are two ways to get the device UDID:
1. If iTunes is installed then you can find it in iTunes (make sure to see the video in HD by clicking on the small gear button):

2. Use an online service such as this one: http://get.udid.io/

Certificate and Provisioning Profile

Main steps:
1. Set a new keys folder in the IDE.
2. Create a key by choosing Tools - Private Sign Key
3. Create and download the certificate as demonstrated in the video. You will need to upload the CSR file that was created in step 2.

Note that you can choose either iOS App Development or App Store and Ad Hoc in the certificate page.

4. Create and download a provisioning profile.

I have a problem when i try to install b4i-bridge appear "No build is currently available....". I have installed the certificate in the iPhone 4 with IOS 7.1.2. And the compiler sent me this message "Open mobile safari and navigate to: xxx.xx.xxx.xx:51041/. I think that all is good, Is possible that not is compatible with IOS 7.1.2?. Thanks.

http://www.compilate.es

Attachments

• IMG_0021.PNG
    IMG_0021.PNG
    39.1 KB · Views: 683

SlashIT

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

i can't create a new certificates (option disabled, see image), i have already 2 dev/prod create by xcode, how can i do?

thanks

Attachments

• nodev.jpg
    nodev.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 634

tmdrake

Licensed User
Longtime User
Uhg...Still stuck...I somehow got lost in the signing part. I would think it be easier to just generate a key and sign all the the same time. I jump between 3 development PC's and only sync my doc directory between them (where all my source lies).

I thought you use the same cert between all machines?

moore_it

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

i have a enterprise program how i do for develop my app in B4I and distribute it without apple store ?

Thanks for help

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
A small tip...

If you look closely at Erel's YouTube video "B4i - Creating a certificate and provision profile" in post #1 you might notice that the browser he is using is Chrome.

I started the certificate creation exercise using Windows Explorer on a Windows 10 system.

I could get to the point of generating the certificate but couldn't do so because the [Generate] button was disabled.

After huge frustration and much swearing and cursing I tried Chrome - worked like a charm.

I don't know if this problem is just confined to Windows Explorer on Windows 10 but my advice would be to use Chrome.

Edit: Oops - Erel is using Firefox - the 3 bar menu icon on the RHS tricked me - rest of tip OK.

Last edited:

awoo060

Licensed User
Longtime User
Has anyone else got an error attempting to upload a CSR? I followed the instructions exactly, and when attempting to upload the certificate request to create a provision file, it won't let me.

Attachments

• csrerror.png
    csrerror.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 623

kohle

Licensed User
Longtime User
When I use sign key, I get the following error (screenshot)

Attachments

• 29-03-_2016_22-56-10.png
    29-03-_2016_22-56-10.png
    9 KB · Views: 587

Greg Shannon

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm haven't been able to get past the step of creating a Private Sign Key, I get the attached error when I click on Create New. Can somebody help?

Attachments

• Error.png
    Error.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 591
Status
Not open for further replies.