Data Base Challenge

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was responding to a new member coming from a MS Access/VBA background as I did. Using an existing SQLite Db I had for another project I decided to write a barebones DB project.
I realized that what I did could probably be done with NO CODE in Access
This got me thinking about how much code needed to be written to do it.

Can you do it cleaner/simpler/clearer(sic)?
If you think you can, modify this app and post it here.
I am NOT looking for a discussion on the merits of various languages here. Just trying to hone my DB skills.

Thank you everyone for all the help yo have given over the years.

Attachments

• SQLLiteExample.zip
    257.6 KB · Views: 123

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@MrKim After some changes, downloading needed jar... moving .db file ...run it...

Sorry starting a discussion... what do you mean with clearer code... ?

1) You are using a number (not all) of fields/columns of a table showing, updating, delete them...
2) Update/Save works only at the line/row selected.. You can ask if wanna save or auto-save all the lines/rows...
3) You can put a check for the type - because sqllite as you already know - "will just do the job"...

..your approach i think is good... as for SELECT, update, insert, delete I think are "clear"...

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There are a few areas you can improve the attached project.
1. Use latest SQLite library. I am using sqlite-jdbc-3.36.0.3
2. You don't need to use File.GetFileParent when it is unnecessary
3. Copy the sqlite file from Assets folder

B4X:
'SQL1.InitializeSQLite(File.GetFileParent(File.GetFileParent(File.DirApp)), "persons.db", False)
If File.Exists(File.DirApp, "persons.db") = False Then
    Wait For (File.CopyAsync(File.DirAssets, "persons.db", File.DirApp, "persons.db")) Complete (Success As Boolean)
    Log("Success: " & Success)
End If
SQL1.InitializeSQLite(File.DirApp, "persons.db", False)
4. Use B4XTable
Check some tutorials in this forum

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…