Android Question Do we need to create New keystore for google app signing (app bundle)

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have one Keystore file created with the IDE since 2016 which I used for all my applications. In preparation to optin in to google app signing and to test the app bundle for NEW APP, I tried some things but it giving me error and headache.

1. The Problem
Using pepk.jar with my existing Keystore to create upload key following the instructions here https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/google-play-app-signing.91703/

B4X:
java -jar pepk.jar --keystore=MY_KEYSTORE_NAME.keystore --alias=b4a --output=encrypted_private_key_path --encryptionkey=MY_KEY_FROM_GOOGLE

I end up getting a file that is NOT accepted by google (Error: The file is not a zip file).

but when i use the code from google below with the old keystore, the zip file is Okay but I got this error The private key was not properly encrypted or is not a type of key we support.
B4X:
java -jar pepk.jar --keystore=MY_KEYSTORE_NAME.keystore --alias=b4a --output=output.zip --include-cert --encryptionkey=MY_KEY_FROM_GOOGLE

2. What seems to work
Using keytool from openjdk 11 folder, I created a temp.keystore
Again, the pepk.jar command from b4a google app signing instruction page, created a corrupted zip file.

I switched to the command from google release dashboard using the new temp.Keystore i created with the keytool and the zip worked. The uploaded zip was also accepted and everything was succesful.

QUESTION:
Will our old keystore file be able to work to create upload key, or henceforth, we must switch to new keystore file created from keytool?

Last edited:

MarcoRome

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi. Do you see this
Without create output=output.zip, in tutorial by @Erel i dont see this. Why do you want xreate a zup file ?

Upvote 0

MarcoRome

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
When I used exactly what Erel used ie encrypted_private_key_path , I got an error that its not a zip file
Anyway i see that you have solved the problem.
Relating to your question:
Will our old keystore file be able to work to create upload key, or henceforth, we must switch to new keystore file created from keytool?
I think it will still be able to work anyway (for example regarding updates, I think you are obliged to use the old upload key in the update signature). For new projects i would use the new key.

Upvote 0

MarcoRome

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I switched to the command from google release dashboard using the new temp.Keystore i created with the keytool and the zip worked. The uploaded zip was also accepted and everything was succesful.

Upvote 0

MarcoRome

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I understand, but still you wouldn't have any problems.
Because the old projects that you will need to eventually update, you can simply create an aab with the old key. Without having to add anything.
With new projects you can use the new key

Upvote 0

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I can use new keystore for new apps. But I will still need to debug this problem.

Tracing my steps
I have java 8, and openjdk 11 and 14.
The IDE uses java 11.

Steps:
After creating new app project, when to production, create new release

A. Then I select Manage App signing in the picture below
1.png

B. Then I download pepk.jar, and copy the encryption key

3.png

c. I placed the pepk.jar into same folder as the keystore

explorer_nLviC1aaR9.png

D. I run the cmd from that location

B4X:
java -jar pepk.jar --keystore=leafy.keystore --alias=b4a --output=encrypted_private_key_path --encryptionkey=MY_ENCRYPTION_KEY_HERE

cmd_NcYcivtLrL.png

AND i GOT THIS

1.png

E. I uploaded the generated file to playstore
UPLOAD.png

F. I then click CONTINUE

final.png

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 254
Upvote 0

MarcoRome

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I can use new keystore for new apps. But I will still need to debug this problem.

Tracing my steps
I have java 8, and openjdk 11 and 14.
The IDE uses java 11.

Steps:
After creating new app project, when to production, create new release

A. Then I select Manage App signing in the picture below
View attachment 109404

B. Then I download pepk.jar, and copy the encryption key

View attachment 109405

c. I placed the pepk.jar into same folder as the keystore

View attachment 109406

D. I run the cmd from that location

B4X:
java -jar pepk.jar --keystore=leafy.keystore --alias=b4a --output=encrypted_private_key_path --encryptionkey=MY_ENCRYPTION_KEY_HERE

View attachment 109407

AND i GOT THIS

View attachment 109409

E. I uploaded the generated file to playstore
View attachment 109410

F. I then click CONTINUE

View attachment 109411

Also to me yesterday at the first attempt did the same thing. Then i went out and back from the Play Store, tried to create a new app, loaded the previously created file and it didn't give me any errors.

Upvote 0

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, @MarcoRome thanks for sticking with me.

2 days I tried using my existing keystore file to generate upload key but it doesnt not work.

I feel, the problem is with the keystore file, hence my inability to extract the upload key with the pepk.jar

Reference to this thread: Someone was facing the same problem with keystore file created with the IDE.

Edit: And this Maybe Unrelated

Upvote 0

Cebuvi

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
I am trying to use pepk.jar with the keystore of an old app and I have a problem.
When I run the file, it asks me to enter the password, but when I try to type it, it doesn't let me, it doesn't write any symbol, and if I press Enter, it gives me an error.
Could someone help me?
Thanks.

Upvote 0

Cebuvi

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for your quick response.
The first step works, but what is the password for key?

Upvote 0

Cebuvi

Licensed User
Longtime User
One last question, with this key will I be able to upload new applications or do I have to repeat the process for each app?

Upvote 0