Do you have to commute for work? What about homeoffice?

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have to commute about 20 KM (30 min. ride). Public transport (not reliable -> bus -> train -> train and rather expensive) would take me over an hour per ride (so min. 2h a day). So I get there by car in 25 mins in the morning and 35 in the afternoon. I can work 2 days a week from home. What about you?

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well I am trying to walk... but lately I am too "lazy" when it is for work (when free time, weekends running)... so taking my car (for ~4km).. i am doing that for leaving my wife at her job too... the whole "trip" from my home<->work (2 times/day) about 8km.. takes me about 40min/day.... sometimes need to go at customers with my car (2, 3 times per week... but this is something different).

Not working at home... just a little the 2 previous covid years...

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have to commute from my bed at one end of this room all the way, maybe one whole pace, to my desk. Its dreadful. I dont think I can take it any more. Thank goodness for the local park, maybe 10 glorious minutes walk from here. I think I'd have gone insane if it werent for the people in my head telling me what to do.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I drive everyday 65km to work (1 direction) so around 1:10h in the morning if no traffic jam and 1:20 h afternoon sometimes it takes me 2h to get home 😞
No option to work from home.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If driving 1hr+2hrs=3hrs/day + working 8hrs=11hrs+8hrs(sleeping)=19hrs+(1~2hrs eating/wearing/bath/etc)=21hrs+1hr(driving for other things)=22hrs... you have only ~2hrs free for B4X and Family...

:-(

Johan Schoeman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
40km to work and 40km back. Going in any direction can take 30 minutes to 120 minutes. No option to work from home and have worked right through covid lockdowns as we are considered an essential service (manufacture food packaging). Most weekends at least once to work and back to check up on production.

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If driving 1hr+2hrs=3hrs/day + working 8hrs=11hrs+8hrs(sleeping)=19hrs+(1~2hrs eating/wearing/bath/etc)=21hrs+1hr(driving for other things)=22hrs... you have only ~2hrs free for B4X and Family...

Actually, ~2 hours to look for another job 😋

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

8hr sleeping? 😁
maybe when i was a baby i sleep 8hr today 4hr so 6hr left for b4x and family ;)

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
About 150 meter to work. Can last up to 3 Minutes when in Traffic 🤣 (can´t go over the street as there is too much traffic in some minutes)

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I work from home most days, go into the office one day every two weeks. Office is about 80km away and takes around 1.5h each way (at a cost of £42.50 in train fare!)
When we saw Covid was going to be a long term thing, we had our spare room at home remodelled into a proper home office, so now have two permanent desks with large monitors setup. My home office is actually much nicer to work in than going to the London office. I have better tech at home (faster internet, bigger screens), and it's quiet so I can concentrate. I'm more productive at home than going into the office.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@andymc if you multiply the cost of train fare with month working days... let's say 20... you need much more than my basic-salary o_O🇬🇷🌴:eek:
normally those cost are paid by the company. i have a company car so everything is paid by them and if someone takes the bus to work the company also pays for that so the employee should never pay for this from his salary. it does not make any sense.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
normally those cost are paid by the company. i have a company car so everything is paid by them and if someone takes the bus to work the company also pays for that so the employee should never pay for this from his salary. it does not make any sense.
Well some jobs paid in Greece too... but at the most... the cost goes to employee if he wants to have a job (!)

Last edited:

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
@andymc if you multiply the cost of train fare with month working days... let's say 20... you need much more than my basic-salary o_O🇬🇷🌴:eek:
Luckily you can buy season tickets that give you cheaper prices if you travel more than a few times a week. No good for me though as I only go in once a fortnight.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
My work travels around with me in my head -that's a Lot of commuting (unless I stay in bed - of course - temptations temptations temptations).

😰🏃‍♂️

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
One of the reasons I started my own company. I can work from anywhere. Currently in Taiwan... Bali in January, then back to Taiwan, then back to California. A bad commute is when the dogs (Taiwan) or cat (California) gets in my way. 🤣

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
I used to need 2 hours to get to work and another 2 hours to get back. That's 4x5=20 hours a week.That's 20x48 weeks (4 weeks vacation) = 960 hours per year.
I was like that for about 10 years, until I quit that job and went home because I was desperate.
I found a few clients that helped me to continue working at home until I started to be hired by several companies, always working from home, and that's how I've been working for 12 years now, I don't move from home.
I hope it will be like that until I retire.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I used to need 2 hours to get to work and another 2 hours to get back. That's 4x5=20 hours a week.That's 20x48 weeks (4 weeks vacation) = 960 hours per year.
I was like that for about 10 years, until I quit that job and went home because I was desperate.
I found a few clients that helped me to continue working at home until I started to be hired by several companies, always working from home, and that's how I've been working for 12 years now, I don't move from home.
I hope it will be like that until I retire.
i hope i can write the same one day 😔