Wish Emulator style, look and feel...

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello Anywhere Software,
I've been searching the net high low left right and center but I can't find out how to do the following 2 things to the emulator without having Android studio installed. I've even made changes to config.ini and hardware-qemu.ini files, but he keyboard on the right hand side in red still remains there.

And before somebody says it. YES!!! I do use B4A-Bridge 90% of the time, but if I only have one phone on me and the battery is running low, I will then use the emulator. Also I do have a 15.4" mobile 2nd monitor, but it's not always practical to set it up, especially if I'm sitting on my recliner and not at a my table or my desk.

1. Remove the keyboard area in red, it's a complete waste of real estate on my laptop screen if I'm only using screen at the time, like today.
Untitled-1.png

2. Tried to get the emulator looking more like this. But honestly, this is not really important.
Untitled-2.png

Thank you...

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have found a way:
go to YourSDKFolder\B4Aemulator\YourEmulatorFolder
edit the CONFIG.INI
Modify the line skin.name to
skin.name=480x854
Remove the line skin.path
Result is quite rude, maybe it can be improved.

Last edited:

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have found a way:
Absolutely perfect, cheers šŸ‘
Thank you very very very much @Sagenut, I'll have to take note of that two line modification. I've always dislikes that waste of space keyboard as I just can't see anybody using it, and I mean absolutely anybody using it. :)

@Erel, please please pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease make this a check box option for phone devices in B4A SDK Manager. It is a 100% improvement to the AVD (removing none use wasted space gray keyboard area just makes 100% sense to me (and @Sagenut)).

Absolutely peeeeeeeeeeeeeeerfect :)
Untitled-1.png

Thank you...

Last edited:

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Try this:
  1. Download https://github.com/stevendz/clean_avd_skin
  2. Copy the second folder to: D:\Android\tools\platforms\android-28\skins
  3. go to YourSDKFolder\B4Aemulator\YourEmulatorFolder
  4. edit the CONFIG.INI
  5. skin.name= clean_avd_skin
  6. skin.path=D:\Android\tools\platforms\android-28\skins\clean_avd_skin
1588594278701.png

can certainly also be optimized

ShepSoft

Licensed User
A SIMPLE WAY TO PRODUCE A SIMPLE EMULATOR SKIN

Emulator skins contain two background images - background_land.png and background_port.png - and you can edit these in your image editor to exclude the right hand panel.
Note the new size of each then edit the layout file (in the same skins folder) to reflect the new values. The lines you need to adjust are near the bottom of the file and are in the layouts>portrait and layouts>landscape sections. For the WVGA854 skin the new values will be something like this:
..........skins\WVGA854\layout:
layouts {
    portrait {
        width     537
        height    908

landscape {
        width     907
        height    535

That gives you a very plain skin but you can freely embellish it by making your own simple edits.