Games Game making - video series

Are you interested in a game video tutorial?

• Yes

• No

• Hell No

• maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
hi everyone,

a good friend in the forum asked me to consider making a full game video tutorial using b4x and upload it to youtube.
if i would really consider it, what kind of game would you want to see me making from scratch? What game framework?
i wonder how many guys here are into game making or at least would like to start with it and would like to see a full game created from cratch using b4x.

let me know. :)

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am yet to make any progress in normal app, due to time constraint, but yes I would like learn making games in Android using mostly B4X codes.

You can take your time to make simpler ones first, so that we can get the grip of it.
This will definitely help new members too.

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

Anand

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don’t know yet and not really explore the game example by Erel yet but I see there is a small request from my friends for education games for kids.

i did this game for my son few months ago:

he really likes playing it.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
EDITED: Oops sorry, I removed the number :eek:

consider making a full game video tutorial using b4x and upload it to youtube.
You should definitely consider doing this, if I had your game developing skills I would ;)

I know that Erel has his excellent XUI2D game examples and they are great, but wow are they a bit complicated to read through (it's not that simple), it took me an awful long time. I believe it was AndyMc that created a series of tutorials on making a Flappy Bird game, I believe that he released the source code for his tutorials.

Maybe you could create a series of videos (maybe 7 to 10 videos) one every week or two, after each video you can then release the accompioning source code. After 7 to 10 videos the developers following your tutorial would end up with a fully working game. With a series of 7 to 10 source code downloads, your followers could then see how you created a game from start to finish.

The question is when would you find the time?
You have a full time job, a wife, kids, you have developed and released games and general applications on both the App and Play stores. Your time is already stretched and limited, not unless you can create game tutorials in your sleep :)

I'm all for it though...

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I know that Erel has his excellent XUI2D game examples and they are great, but wow are they a bit complicated to read through (it's not that simple), it took me an awful long time.

so you would like me to use Xui2d? i also think it is the best option if we want it to a cross-platform game. i like more working with iSpritekit but i think it would be better to use Xui2d.

Maybe you could create a series of videos (maybe 7 to 10 videos) one every week or two, after each video you can then release the accompioning source code. After 7 to 10 videos the developers following your tutorial would end up with a fully working game. With a series of 7 to 10 source code downloads, your followers could then see how you created a game from start to finish.

yes, that's a good idea.

The question is when would you find the time?
You have a full time job, a wife, kids, you have developed and released games and general applications on both the App and Play stores. Your time is already stretched and limited, not unless you can create game tutorials in your sleep :)

yes it is not simple but sometimes you have no power working on complex projects and would like to make something simple and fun and such a game tutorial could be a good example.

i would like to hear what kind of games you guys would like to see?

1. Brick Breaker
2. Frogger
3. Donkey Kong

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i did this game for my son few months ago:

he really likes playing it.
May I learn how to build this puzzle game ?

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello @ilan
Thank for the response.

so you would like me to use Xui2d? i also think it is the best option if we want it to a cross-platform game. i like more working with iSpritekit but i think it would be better to use Xui2d.
I think that XUI2D would be the way to go, the X2 library is after all cross platform. Hmm, until a few minutes ago I didn't really know what the iSpriteKit library was used for. Talking about game tutorial videos, I like the parallax scrolling game tutorial and accompanying video that you created :cool:

1. Brick Breaker
2. Frogger
3. Donkey Kong

1. Brick breaker - Excellent starter game, probably the easiest of the lot
  2. Frogger - Nice, a more complicated game
  3. Donkey Kong (Is that a monkey ;) Skull Island reference) - Seems even more complicated than Frogger
So I take it that you plan is to start simple and slowly get more complicated (game wise) as more as more B4X users watch your videos???
Just kidding, Brick breaker would be the perfect starting point if you ask me. Start of with something simple and if that's a success then maybe move onto more complicated games like Frogger, Donkey Kong, Defender, Space Invaders (maybe not as that's taken for), Pac Man, Asteroids etc etc etc, the list just goes on and on and on.

Edited:
Learning about collisions, movements, inertia, sprites etc could help many people actually get their head around it all, but starting of simple and tutoring in sections at a time I think is the key to success. I mean you don't take a Kindergarten (Pre-School) child to school and try to teach them about Trigonometry, Pythagoras theorem, Parallelograms, Circumference of a circle etc, no you start with simple baby steps first, simple maths, then you build up to the previously names...

Enjoy...

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Among us clone

this is a big project. i think it is better to start simple and then everyone can work on more complex games.

4. The Sentinel

Yeah, probably not very realistic, but one can hope... :)

i have no experience with 3d games only 2d. :)

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Anyway @ilan, I'll let you continue with your paid work, as I'm currently learning more about MongoDB and it's pros and cons.
I must say that I like the idea of sectioned video tutorials (7 to 10 videos) until the B4X game project has been completed, plus if need be it gives you a chance to make any changes if you decide to change your mind on any development techniques.

I think that because Erel released (and rightly so) fully completed game examples, it was a bit overwhelming for some wannabe game developers to learn from. Admittedly the X2 game examples are not easy to follow at all if you're not used to developing code for animation, collisions, scrolling etc. Even with the code examples freely available here on the forum, it's still steep learning for some. But as long as you explain everything that you are doing and how it works (like for example a bouncing all effect (inertia)) then I think that your game tutorial videos could be a huge success.

"Is that a monkey" ;)

Last edited:

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But as long as you explain everything that you are doing and how it works (like for example a bouncing all effect (inertia)) then I think that your game tutorial videos could be a huge success.
Agree fully.

I too have problem in understanding XUI2D, as I am basically a database man. Hope your tutorials will give me some knowledge of games.

Regards,

Anand

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I too have problem in understanding XUI2D, as I am basically a database man. Hope your tutorials will give me some knowledge of games.

Xui2d is not a simple library. it also includes box2d in it that is also very complex. i think it will be better to start with simple tools to understand the concept and then recreate the same game with xui2d. like this people with no game making experience will have it more simpler.

starting straight with xui2d and box2d for newbies in game making will be not easy in my opinion.