Games Game making - video series

Are you interested in a game video tutorial?

• Yes

• No

• Hell No

• maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @ilan ,

I liked the game as it is simple and logic (hopefully) will be easier for me to understand.

One problem I faced that the paddle gets stuck in left or right edge for some times, making me miss the ball. Rest is smooth.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
One problem I faced that the paddle gets stuck in left or right edge for some times, making me miss the ball. Rest is smooth.

paddle get stuck?? how is that happening? left half of the screen adds a speed to the paddle on the x axis as a minus value what means he will go left right half the screen adds a positive value to the speed of the paddle. it should always work. are you sure that you press on the right half of the screen?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @ilan , I have given the link of the video to show the problem.

as i assumed, you are clicking on the right half of the screen this is why your paddle still tries to go right.

1622567005577.png

this is how the game works.. have a look at your video and you will see that the mouse is on the right half of the screen.
the game is made for mobile so you hold the phone with 2 hands and it will be more simple to play the game as on pc.
on pc we can implement the keyboard in the code. this is something that we can do in the tutorials. :)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
btw you dont need to move the paddle with clicks. you cannot press and hold on the screen and just slide right and left. as soon as you cross the middle of the screen the paddle will go to that side.

on the video it looks like you have a lot of frame drops although i see that you are getting 60 fps so i guess the screen recording is in low fps right?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
in the last 2 days i am trying to make the video tutorials and i find it much harder then making the game :oops:
i find myself recording/deleting, recording/deleting in a endless loop because it is hard to find always the words so i was thinking to do it in a different way.

i will release the project and make a video only explaining a little bit the code instead of code it from scratch in a 3-4 hours tutorial what do you say guys?
would that be ok from you? of course, if there will be any questions i will try to answer them :)

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm not really your target audience (not making games, I'm just amused by them :) ) but I think that sounds good. I would add one thing though, and this could very well be part of the post with the project and not a video, and it's painting the code picture with the broad strokes. You know, stuff like "The game has a main game loop. In it we always do these seven things, in this order: 1. Move ball. 2. Move bat. etc etc"

I remember when I started making games on the C64 (happy days), when I didn't really have this insight. Instead I instantly started with the most detailed coding right away, making for an unholy spaghetti mess and no real segmentation of code.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Watched the video, liked and subscribed.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I know that Erel has his excellent XUI2D game examples and they are great, but wow are they a bit complicated to read through

good to read that I'm not the only one who found/finds it rather complex. :)

you need to jump from class to class just to try and follow what's supposed to happen.

@ilan : if you decide to go the XUI2D way for your tutorials then please explain the basics step by step and that's almost line by line, object type by object type
and that's what's missing a lot in Erel's examples and you need to look it up elsewhere what all those weird things actually are.
(to name a few... B2Vec2,X2BodyWrapper,B2World,B2Body)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

is a vector object what means an object that has 2 parameters a x and y value.

is the box2d world object. Everything in box2d happens inside a world. You can imagine it as a big panel that will hold lots of views (in box2d it will be bodies)

its a box2d body object. A body has a shape and different parameters that will effect how the body will act in the world like gravity scale, friction, density,…

it is a huge library with many options. It will be not simple to explain it in a short tutorial. It will need many tutorials.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it is a huge library with many options. It will be not simple to explain it in a short tutorial. It will need many tutorials.
After we mature from your simple tutorials, we may be more comfortable to understand XUI2D. :)

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've made a XUI2D breakout example. I think that it is not too complicated.

1. Make sure that Tiled is installed and configured with the objecttypes.json file.
2. There are several good resources about box2d. This one is my favorite: https://www.iforce2d.net/b2dtut/bodies

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I post a lot of code. When I say that it is not too complicated, I mean that it is not too complicated to someone who is somewhat familiar with box2d and X2.

this is correct but someone that is not familiar with box2d will have difficulties understanding the code. i will try to simplify the code and i think it will help a lot guys here.