Bug? Installing B4A 11.8: two undesired effects when installed

MaaMoz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello to Anywhere Software

After installing B4A 11.8 I experienced the following two undesired effects:

1) When right clicking on the b4a 11.5 icon on the Taskbar, the list with recent items appears but the following message appears:
"The item that you selected is unavailable. It might have been moved.... "
The path and the item still exist, have not been moved.

2) After installing B4A 11.8, the following program stopped working: JW Library.
Using the Win 11 options on JW Library: Repair / Reset will not make it run again. Not even re-installing JW Library will fix the problem.
I had to uninstall B4A 11.8 and reinstall JW Library to get it working again.

I am using the latest update of Win 11.

Any solution?
What can I do to use B4A 11.8 without the mentioned undesired effects?

Never before did I experience problems installing B4A.

Thank you
Markus

jahswant

Licensed User
Longtime User
2. I don't know what is JW Library. Please start a new thread in the questions forum and provide more information.
This is the application in question :
As mentioned, you should uninstall old b4a before installing new one.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is the application in question
... which is not related to B4X.
It is a Windowsstore App.

If there is a problem with this app then i would contact the Apps Author.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The two applications have no direct conflict with each other. Both are created (if I'm not mistaken) with Visual Studio so they both use the NET Framwork.

The Application that does not start, accesses a local archive, so if it is not damaged it should start normally. There is no reason to think that B4A 11.8 compromises another application's database.
Could it be that you have an old version with an older .NET version?
Finally, at startup it seems that the JW App checks the internet for updates, if there is a lack of connection during the search the application crashes.

I would say you need to look into the latter option to determine the cause of the problem. But having no error message we can hardly help you, but it is certainly not directly related to B4A

PS. I have read the reviews on Windows STORE, several have problems with Windows 11

Last edited:

MaaMoz

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is the application in question :
As mentioned, you should uninstall old b4a before installing new one.
Hello jahswant

Yes, this is the JW Library app I was mentioning.
The JW Library app was working perfectly until I installed B4A 11.8 version. AND, it worked again after de-installing B4A 11.8 and re-installing JW Library.

I thank you for your comment.

MaaMoz

Licensed User
Longtime User
1. B4A v11.8 is the first 64 bit version. This means that it is installed in a different place (Program Files) and is treated as a new app.
Solution: uninstall the old version.

Hello Erel,

I thank you very much for your reply and your time.

Solution: uninstall the old version.

I must have missed an instruction telling me to uninstall the old version.
I seem to remember, that previous versions of B4A could be installed next to previous versions.
I will try your solution.

Thank you again

MaaMoz

Licensed User
Longtime User
The two applications have no direct conflict with each other. Both are created (if I'm not mistaken) with Visual Studio so they both use the NET Framwork.

The Application that does not start, accesses a local archive, so if it is not damaged it should start normally. There is no reason to think that B4A 11.8 compromises another application's database.
Could it be that you have an old version with an older .NET version?
Finally, at startup it seems that the JW App checks the internet for updates, if there is a lack of connection during the search the application crashes.

I would say you need to look into the latter option to determine the cause of the problem. But having no error message we can hardly help you, but it is certainly not directly related to B4A

PS. I have read the reviews on Windows STORE, several have problems with Windows 11
Hello Star-Dust

I thank you for your reply and time

"The Application that does not start" - It actually does start but "bombs-out" after a second or two while checking for updates. This problem started immediately after I had installed B4A 11.8 and was solved after I uninstalled B4A 11.8 and reinstalled JW Library from Windows Store.

"lack of connection during the search the application crashes" - I was continually using Internet - no connection problem - I was also checking the net to see what could be the problem... I was always connected to the Internet.

"having no error message we can hardly help you" - I'll have to find an error message - any idea where it could be?

Again: thank you very much for your time and comments. :)

MaaMoz

Licensed User
Longtime User
... which is not related to B4X.
It is a Windowsstore App.

If there is a problem with this app then i would contact the Apps Author.
Thank you for your reply

It is a bit difficult to ask the authors of JW Library about the problem.
The app worked perfectly - it is used worldwide in hundreds of languages - until the moment I installed B4A 11.8.
And, after uninstalling B4A 11.8 and reinstalling JW Library it is working again.

Strange.

I will try Erel's solution :)

Thank you again for taking your time to answer.

MaaMoz

Licensed User
Longtime User
2. I don't know what is JW Library. Please start a new thread in the questions forum and provide more information.

Problem solved.

I uninstalled B4A 11.5, reinstalled B4A 11.8 and JW Library is still working.

The only explanation I have: There must have been some conflict having version 11.5 / 11.8 installed together which affected JW Library.
Why? How? No idea.

I had spent quite some time installing - deinstalling the programs and the problem continued persistently.

But: now I am happy.
B4A 11.8 is working. I might not write too often, but I am using B4X a lot and I have recommended it over the years to many.
B4X is excellent.

Thank you Erel
Thank you to all the "replay-ers" :)