Other It's time to grow

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I’m very proud in the continuing progress of B4X tools. I’m also very proud to be part of this amazing developers community.

In the last couple of years, I have a growing feeling that B4X tools do not realize their potential. While there are all kinds of development tools, B4X offers a unique set of features: simple, powerful, mature, great community, RAD, native, cross platform and more.
B4X tools are an excellent choice for a wide range of real-world use cases.

So, the question is how to make B4X more popular? Obviously, it is not a simple nor a short-term task.
A clear growth barrier is the fact that unlike most development tools today, B4A and B4i are not free. This wasn’t the case 10 years ago.

The big announcement today is that B4A will become free in a few weeks. The framework - set of internal libraries, will be open sourced.

We will accept contributions for B4A like currently done with B4J.
We've also secured funds from a US investor who shares my vision of making B4X a popular development tool. These resources will allow us to further expand.

How can you help?

Help us spread the word about B4X.

Rachbob

Licensed User
I hope that this great news will not impact to continue working on updates and solving bugs. I hope this won't be a soft end of a great tool,
Every begining has an end of course 😁

Good luck.

Upvote 0

Swissmade

Licensed User
Longtime User
A very nice step for Android programming.
I hope B4A will get more attention this way.
Thanks for building this.

Upvote 0

iCAB

Licensed User
Longtime User
The investor part and the open-source is great news, the free part is not that important for something that is already aggressively priced.

If the investors can help you put the money were needed to grow the team, that would make a huge difference

One of the biggest limitations of third-party tools compared to native tools is the availability of libraries. If you can invest in a tool that automates library wrapping (if possible), you won't even have to look back.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you can invest in a tool that automates library wrapping (if possible)
i don´t think there is a way to automaticate this step. Every lib is unique and may contain complex code or even not.

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i don´t think there is a way to automaticate this step. Every lib is unique and may contain complex code or even not.
Yes, I (we) know, but... partial tools, maybe...

For example, I used (very few times) an online C# <--> VB NET translator. A Java --> B4A could be useful.
Moreover, "parts" of android-java projects are (probably) common, like some folders (resources?).
Anyway, I suspect we are a slightly... O.T. 😇

Upvote 0

B4JExplorer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I’m very proud in the continuing progress of B4X tools. I’m also very proud to be part of this amazing developers community.

In the last couple of years, I have a growing feeling that B4X tools do not realize their potential. While there are all kinds of development tools, B4X offers a unique set of features: simple, powerful, mature, great community, RAD, native, cross platform and more.
B4X tools are an excellent choice for a wide range of real-world use cases.

So, the question is how to make B4X more popular? Obviously, it is not a simple nor a short-term task.
A clear growth barrier is the fact that unlike most development tools today, B4A and B4i are not free. This wasn’t the case 10 years ago.

The big announcement today is that B4A will become free in a few weeks. The framework - set of internal libraries, will be open sourced.

We will accept contributions for B4A like currently done with B4J.
We've also secured funds from a US investor who shares my vision of making B4X a popular development tool. These resources will allow us to further expand.

How can you help?

Help us spread the word about B4X.

Roger on that, thanks Erel. I'll use B4J again later in the year, but will forward a donation in February, after the 8th.

Upvote 0

Dave G

Licensed User
Will those, such a myself, that just purchased enterprise b4a and enterprise b4i + hosted, get anything different than those that get the free version? I have purchased licenses and annual renewals for several development tools (Visual Studio, Xamarin, DevExpress, Infragistics, IPworks) over the years. When Microsoft bought Xamarin the product continued to evolve, but support went away (other than forums). In addition, examples are not kept current to match with the newer IDE or platform changes and new examples are rare. I didn't mind paying for B4A/B4I licenses and support. The pricing is reasonable. Your forums are very active and helpful.

BTW, really like B4X. Xamarin uses XAML as a common UI language that is shared between Android and iOS. Isn't WYSIWYG, but in many ways more powerful. Just my 2 cents.

I've ported a C# Xamarin application to B4X (Android and iOS) without much difficulty. The shared code module was easy once I figured out conditional compilation to handle platform differences. I copied the B4A layout into the B4I project, but would be nice to have common UI layouts.

Anyway, thanks for a great product and best wishes regarding B4X future.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The shared code module was easy once I figured out conditional compilation to handle platform differences.
Make sure to use XUI library and other XUI based components. XUI hides many of the platform differences.

About your main question, there will probably some restrictions in the forum for users who haven't bought a license or made a contribution. They will be able to download libraries however their posts will be moderated.

Upvote 0

mcqueccu

Licensed User
Longtime User

I came across a tool that can automate the wrapping of B4A libraries. The developer says it can wrap almost 90% of Java codes for B4A. He is yet to introduce it to the forum though.

Upvote 0

CaptKronos

Licensed User
I wasn't sure whether to post here or create a new thread in the B4i area but since there are already a few B4i related queries in this thread and there isn't a corresponding thread in the B4i area: is it possible for Erel to explain what might happen to B4i? Considering the annual subs we have to pay to Apple, the financial bar is very different for developers between the B4A and B4i worlds. Making B4i free, I would suggest, would have a considerable positive impact on the (hobbyist) iOS developers.

Upvote 0

virpalacios

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel, I am with B4X almost since beginning, the price tag is almost nothing in compare with the value of your product. After some years the product price is even lower. For me priced licence is not an issue, I receive from you and the community :D👍 superb support and updates. I always tell my friends that you respond a question about in 10 minutes almost and midnight local time (what a support) . I am be very glad to pay for your excellent B4X products and products development. As a comment, I started a self learning in IONIC (it is a "free framework") . You can do interesting things in IONIC however support is very weak and version code updates almost ask for rewriting your code ("Painful"). Please your Excellent Working, Am I am glad to be a member in this Community.

Upvote 0