Other It's time to grow

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I’m very proud in the continuing progress of B4X tools. I’m also very proud to be part of this amazing developers community.

In the last couple of years, I have a growing feeling that B4X tools do not realize their potential. While there are all kinds of development tools, B4X offers a unique set of features: simple, powerful, mature, great community, RAD, native, cross platform and more.
B4X tools are an excellent choice for a wide range of real-world use cases.

So, the question is how to make B4X more popular? Obviously, it is not a simple nor a short-term task.
A clear growth barrier is the fact that unlike most development tools today, B4A and B4i are not free. This wasn’t the case 10 years ago.

The big announcement today is that B4A will become free in a few weeks. The framework - set of internal libraries, will be open sourced.

We will accept contributions for B4A like currently done with B4J.
We've also secured funds from a US investor who shares my vision of making B4X a popular development tool. These resources will allow us to further expand.

How can you help?

Help us spread the word about B4X.

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
Comparing a 2k microcontroller (1 / 32 of commodore 64) with the targets of B4J, B4A, B4i is not very practical
Agreed, for small devices. But because there is often wireless link to a master/UI app, it would be good if the same code worked the same at both ends. Bytes, Shorts, Ints and Longs could have been same on all, without affecting efficiency. UByte would have been great too, especially if backported to B4A/I/J.

But we are where we are now, presumably - and understandably - because of differences in the underlying Java/Objective C/C of the different systems.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
Once you learn how to work with XUI you will be able to share almost all of the layout related code as well as the logic code. I'm not talking about 66%, it is rather closer to 95%+
Sounds great. I should make this jump, rather than keep forking from a "master" app. If it harmonizes the handling of the on-screen keyboard, that alone would be worth it.

Upvote 0

droman

Licensed User
Longtime User
Incredible! I've been using B4A for many years, but I don't get money for my applications. Paying for the license in my current personal situation is very difficult and I have had to stop doing it. Now, finally, I can keep up. A great decision We will spread the word.

Upvote 0

Mickster

Licensed User
Longtime User
I intend to spread the word (I do already) but just to be clear....This only applies to B4A and not B4i, Correct?

Upvote 0

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Paying for the license in my current personal situation is very difficult and I have had to stop doing it. Now, finally, I can keep up. A great decision We will spread the word.

And also donate/contribute whatever you can afford I hope ;)
Keep on coding and enjoy the new B4A when it becomes free, because it's grrrrrrrrrrrrreat :cool:

Upvote 0

Mickster

Licensed User
Longtime User
And also donate/contribute whatever you can afford I hope ;)
Keep on coding and enjoy the new B4A when it becomes free, because it's grrrrrrrrrrrrreat :cool:

Heck, I think I am still using the same version from 2012 but I have purchased updates to support the cause.
I have always preferred paid-for products because the quality is always better, support is better (very important) and you don't end-up with a forum that is littered with annoying ads.

I'm sure (I hope) Erel knows what he's doing.

I need to start a fresh development this year so donations will be forthcoming 👍

Upvote 0

MbedAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
there is always a counterpart when a product becomes free. I hope not this will imply that you need to accept build in ads in your apk. For the moment i keep my paid version of B4a.
A private investor is always looking to get profit for the money he invested.
lets wait a see what the busniss model looks like when b4a becomes free.

Upvote 0

wimpie3

Licensed User
Longtime User
The question has already been raised in the past but might become interesting again now. For lots of free software you can buy commercial support. The software itself is free but if you have an urgent question you can call/mail support if you pay for it. Is this on your list, Erel?

Upvote 0

DawningTruth

Licensed User
I agree with some of the views expressed by others. You have to have a revenue model to fund R&D and the world-class support we receive. At least have a community edition and a paid edition. Personally I think your pricing is reasonable, so don't believe that it is pricing that hinders growth. Rather the obscurity of the product. It took me many months to find B4A. So am sure others are struggling similarly.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
For lots of free software you can buy commercial support. The software itself is free but if you have an urgent question you can call/mail support if you pay for it. Is this on your list, Erel?
Support will be provided through the forums. Providing private technical support is not feasible.

When will it be free?
In a week or two.

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, I must admit that,
  • I never paid to get latest B4A, I have not made any app till date.
  • I never paid for support, I am still strugling with tutorials.
  • I never paid to help Erel, I can't.
I always paid to be with my friends.

You see, Erel do not allow me to get inside the Forum gate, if I do not pay. :)

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0

saunwin

Licensed User
Longtime User
My two penth worth -
I've bought B4A several times over the years. I don'y use it a lot, but when I do I've been very pleased with the outcome and more than pleased with the community spirit on the forums that has advised and helped many times.
I would continue to pay for B4A. It's worth every penny.
Erel and the team have done such a fantastic job, I'm just pleased that B4X will continue to thrive and develop.

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
uhm... just a my (as usual) mad and unuseful idea (even because often I write when I am almost sleeping 😄)

If a member of each language (I mean english, italian, french... not B4X, Java, C #... 😄) published a video on Youtube in which he quickly developed two apps, of medium and high level, obviously speaking in his own language and this video had a very captivating name and could be shown in the first pages of Google Search, such as: "The best way to develop apps, but also the fastest"?

The two apps could be the same for all the developers; if so, we should be sure to not violate Youtube rules.

Stupid idea? What do you think?

Upvote 0

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If a member of each language (I mean english, italian, french... not B4X, Java, C #... 😄) published a video on Youtube in which he quickly developed two apps, of medium and high level, obviously speaking in his own language and this video had a very captivating
Not a bad idea. Maybe someone could make a "master video", and a person of every language, could make the spoken coments and publish the same video in differents languages

Upvote 0

Alessandro71

Licensed User
Longtime User
we already have master videos: the excellent "Erel teaches programming" series: just add multiple languages audio track

Upvote 0