Wish Make it clearer what features are considered "bad" and replaced with better alternatives

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There's several features in B4X that are in there because of history, and have now effectively been replaced by new and improved features. A clear example is ListView that has been replaced by xCustomListView. As Erel wrote in a post an hour ago:
There are exactly 0 reasons to use ListView.

Switch to xCustomListView.

However, ListView still exist in B4X (presumably because of backward compatibility), which can make it confusing for B4X users what to choose. (I know I have chosen the old, "bad" version many times, only to later have to replace it when I learned what the recommendation was.)

My wish is that the "bad" features more prominently get flagged in the IDE linter. This is about more than ListView, but it's a good example. When I add a ListView to my code, the IDE doesn't warn me (and also doesn't suggest a better alternative).
B4X:
Sub Class_Globals
    Private ListView1 As ListView
End Sub

And when it comes to the Designer, perhaps the name can be adjusted? For instance, "ListView" could be edited to say something like "ListView (use xCustomListView instead)". Or something to that effect, as the Designer doesn't have its own linter in the window.

Last edited:

Alessandro71

Licensed User
Longtime User
the link to the libraries forum threads in the libraries tab is a great addition, maybe something similar can be done for some objects in the IDE, with a link to the latest thread that features that object

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the link to the libraries forum threads in the libraries tab is a great addition
Yep, so great.

maybe something similar can be done for some objects in the IDE, with a link to the latest thread that features that object
Yeah, perhaps something like that. Or just have a single thread with topic something like "Old features you shouldn't use, and what to use instead" and link them all to that post.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A clear example is ListView that
My IDE already shows...

Not.jpg