Other [new feature] Recent places list in the title bar

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
In many cases we find ourselves switching back and forth between several places. There are all kinds of ways to navigate between these places. You can use bookmarks, split the code editor, use Alt + Left / Right arrows as well as a few other methods.

Now there is another one:

B4A_DwOweEi0tI.png

The 5 recent places appear automatically in the title bar and can be clicked to jump to the recent place.

Note that the quick search field also moved to the title bar to make it more accessible.

Edit: Screenshot updated with some design changes.

Last edited:

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
ok - but will that not disturb the windows drag & drop with mouse?

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel
we will see in usage.
do you make it fixed or its movable into tool bar or as docked window?
self arrange as window have the benefit to move it onto second monitor as example.

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Wil it be optional or will it be a fixed presence (i.e. new title bar look) from now on?
I'm sure we will be get used to it and appreciate this new functionality when we will have it, but considering the possibility to set it as an IDES's option could be a smart move (eventually starting with it enabled so to promote its usage).
My 2c

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think a drop-down "recent history" would be more interesting...or even, instead of having a "new" titlebar, I would prefer a new tab in the right panes, or even a new group in the modules, with those recent places

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
btw if you made it configurable, it make sense to allow 0 to XX (maximal) recent places if the ide window use 2 monitors or as example only 3 for a small hd laptop display.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
won't this conflict with the tab selection which is now also ctrl+number ?
Yes. This was never an intended or documented shortcut. I'm pretty sure that it is almost never used.

With the exception of the lost shortcut which 99% most probably never used, there are no downsides to this feature. So it will probably won't be optional in the next version. It might become optional in future versions.

I'm testing it in the last couple of days and find it to be a very useful feature.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
just wondering... is this list build on changes happening in subs?

I see a benefit when you don't have the space to have all those side panels (libs, modules, searchs, files) on screen.
I have the log panel pulled out of the dock and the quick search is active in the dock.

It's faster than the alt-page up/down method since you know where you will end from the start which is not the case when having several bookmarks.
I'm aware of the bookmark list but you need to remove the search term again before you'll see that list in the quicksearch
or you need to go to the modules tab and click on the bookmark which also requires more actions than the single ctrl+#

It's something to get used to but it will be a benefit when you're used to it.

Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there a way to turn this off if I dont want to see a bunch of stuff in the UI title bar? I really hate software that does this.

I really love the idea, but thats not how I want to interact with it on a user experience level. Just my opinion.

It should be another toolbar or ribbon bar that sits below the main toolbar, or can be re-arranged like most software including this one. This way I can turn the toolbar on, to have my Search and bookmarks, or turn the toolbar off. (Hide it). I use the search function like crazy, but I like it being on the side, where it is now. I always use the Ctrl-F shortcut to get to it.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there a way to turn this off if I dont want to see a bunch of stuff in the UI title bar?
It was answered in post #15.

I use the search function like crazy, but I like it being on the side, where it is now. I always use the Ctrl-F shortcut to get to it.
The shortcut and behavior will remain the same.

Upvote 0