B4A Library [NEW] Firebase RemoteConfig

This is a wrapper of the Firebase RemoteConfig library for B4A. You can find the B4I version here. I made this for @tufanv and he gave me permission to post this in forum to help other users.

FirebaseRemoteConfig

Author:
@Biswajit
Version: 1.0
  • FirebaseRemoteConfig
    • Events:
      • Activated (activated As Boolean)
      • ConfigInfoReceived (info As FirebaseRemoteConfigInfo)
      • DefaultsAdded
      • Error (message As String)
      • Fetched
      • FetchedAndActivated (activated As Boolean)
      • Initialized
      • ResetComplete
    • Fields:
      • DEFAULT_VALUE_FOR_BOOLEAN As Boolean
        The static default boolean value for any given key.
      • DEFAULT_VALUE_FOR_BYTE_ARRAY As Byte()
        The static default byte array value for any given key.
      • DEFAULT_VALUE_FOR_DOUBLE As Double
        The static default double value for any given key.
      • DEFAULT_VALUE_FOR_LONG As Long
        The static default long value for any given key.
      • DEFAULT_VALUE_FOR_STRING As String
        The static default string value for any given key.
      • LAST_FETCH_STATUS_FAILURE As Int
        Indicates that the most recent attempt to fetch parameter values from the Firebase Remote Config Server has failed.
      • LAST_FETCH_STATUS_NO_FETCH_YET As Int
        Indicates that the FirebaseRemoteConfig singleton object has not yet attempted to fetch parameter values from the Firebase Remote Config Server.
      • LAST_FETCH_STATUS_SUCCESS As Int
        Indicates that the most recent fetch of parameter values from the Firebase Remote Config Server was completed successfully.
      • LAST_FETCH_STATUS_THROTTLED As Int
        Indicates that the most recent attempt to fetch parameter values from the Firebase Remote Config Server was throttled.
      • VALUE_SOURCE_DEFAULT As Int
        Indicates that the value returned was retrieved from the defaults set by the client.
      • VALUE_SOURCE_REMOTE As Int
        Indicates that the value returned was retrieved from the Firebase Remote Config Server.
      • VALUE_SOURCE_STATIC As Int
        Indicates that the value returned is the static default value.
    • Functions:
      • Activate
        Asynchronously activates the most recently fetched configs, so that the fetched key value pairs take effect.
        Task with a true result if the current call activated the fetched configs; if the fetched configs were already activated by a previous call, returns a Task with a false result.
        On success Eventname_Activated event will be raised.
      • EnsureInitialized
        Returns an object representing the initialization status of this Firebase Remote Config instance.
        On success Eventname_ConfigInfoReceived will be raised.
      • Fetch
        Starts fetching configs, adhering to the default minimum fetch interval.
        On success Eventname_Fetched will be raised.
        The fetched configs only take effect after the next activate() call.
        Depending on the time elapsed since the last fetch from the Firebase Remote Config backend, configs are either served from local storage, or fetched from the backend. The default minimum fetch interval can be set while initializing the library; the static default is 12 hours.
        Note: Also initializes the Firebase installations SDK that creates installation IDs to identify Firebase installations and periodically sends data to Firebase servers. Remote Config requires installation IDs for Fetch requests. To stop the periodic sync, call delete(). Sending a Fetch request after deletion will create a new installation ID for this Firebase installation and resume the periodic sync.
      • Fetch2 (minimumFetchIntervalInSeconds As Long)
        Starts fetching configs, adhering to the specified minimum fetch interval.
        The fetched configs only take effect after the next activate() call.
        Depending on the time elapsed since the last fetch from the Firebase Remote Config backend, configs are either served from local storage, or fetched from the backend. The default minimum fetch interval can be set while initializing the library; the static default is 12 hours.
        Note: Also initializes the Firebase installations SDK that creates installation IDs to identify Firebase installations and periodically sends data to Firebase servers. Remote Config requires installation IDs for Fetch requests. To stop the periodic sync, call delete(). Sending a Fetch request after deletion will create a new installation ID for this Firebase installation and resume the periodic sync.
        minimumFetchIntervalInSeconds: If configs in the local storage were fetched more than this many seconds ago, configs are served from the backend instead of local storage.
      • FetchAndActivate
        Asynchronously fetches and then activates the fetched configs.
        On success Eventname_FetchedAndActivated event will be raised.
        If the time elapsed since the last fetch from the Firebase Remote Config backend is more than the default minimum fetch interval, configs are fetched from the backend.
        After the fetch is complete, the configs are activated so that the fetched key value pairs take effect.
        Task with a true result if the current call activated the fetched configs; if no configs were fetched from the backend and the local fetched configs have already been activated, returns a Task with a false result.
      • GetAll As Map
        Returns a Map of Firebase Remote Config key value pairs.
        Evaluates the values of the parameters in the following order:
        1. The activated value, if the last successful activate() contained the key.
        2. The default value, if the key was set with setDefaultsAsync.
      • GetBoolean (key As String) As Boolean
        Returns the parameter value for the given key as a boolean.
        Evaluates the value of the parameter in the following order:
        1. The activated value, if the last successful activate() contained the key, and the value can be converted into a boolean.
        2. The default value, if the key was set with setDefaultsAsync, and the value can be converted into a boolean.
        3. DEFAULT_VALUE_FOR_BOOLEAN.
        "1", "true", "t", "yes", "y", and "on" are strings that are interpreted (case insensitive) as true, and "0", "false", "f", "no", "n", "off", and empty string are interpreted (case insensitive) as false.
        key: A Firebase Remote Config parameter key with a boolean parameter value.
      • GetDouble (key As String) As Double
        Returns the parameter value for the given key as a double.
        1. The activated value, if the last successful activate() contained the key, and the value can be converted into a double.
        2. The default value, if the key was set with setDefaultsAsync, and the value can be converted into a double.
        3. DEFAULT_VALUE_FOR_DOUBLE.
        key: A Firebase Remote Config parameter key with a double parameter value.
      • GetKeysByPrefix (prefix As String) As List
        Returns a list of all Firebase Remote Config parameter keys with the given prefix.
        prefix: The key prefix to look for. If the prefix is empty, all keys are returned.
      • GetLong (key As String) As Long
        Returns the parameter value for the given key as a long.
        1. The activated value, if the last successful activate() contained the key, and the value can be converted into a long.
        2. The default value, if the key was set with setDefaultsAsync, and the value can be converted into a long.
        3. DEFAULT_VALUE_FOR_LONG.
        key: A Firebase Remote Config parameter key with a long parameter value.
      • GetString (key As String) As String
        Returns the parameter value for the given key as a String.
        3. DEFAULT_VALUE_FOR_STRING.
        key: A Firebase Remote Config parameter key.
      • GetValue (key As String) As FirebaseRemoteConfigValue
        Returns the parameter value for the given key as a FirebaseRemoteConfigValue.
        3. A FirebaseRemoteConfigValue that returns the static value for each type.
        key: A Firebase Remote Config parameter key.
      • Initialize (eventName As String, MinimumFetchInterval As Long, FetchTimeout As Long)
        Initialize the object. On success Eventname_Initialize event will be raised.
        eventName: The event name prefix.
        MinimumFetchInterval: Sets the minimum interval between successive fetch calls.
        FetchTimeout: Sets the connection and read timeouts for fetch requests to the Firebase Remote Config servers in seconds.
      • Reset
        Deletes all activated, fetched and defaults configs and resets all Firebase Remote Config settings.
        On success Eventname_ResetComplete event will be raised.
      • SetDefaults (defaults As Map)
        Asynchronously sets default configs using the given Map.
        The values in defaults must be one of the following types: byte[], Boolean, Double, Long, String
        On success Eventname_DefaultsAdded event will be raised.
        defaults: Map of key value pairs representing Firebase Remote Config parameter keys and values.
    • Properties:
      • Info As FirebaseRemoteConfigInfo [read only]
        Returns the state of this FirebaseRemoteConfig instance as a FirebaseRemoteConfigInfo.
  • FirebaseRemoteConfigInfo
    • Functions:
      • GetFetchTimeMillis As Long
        Gets the timestamp (milliseconds since epoch) of the last successful fetch, regardless of whether the fetch was activated or not.
      • GetFetchTimeoutInSeconds As Long
        Returns the fetch timeout in seconds.
      • GetLastFetchStatus As Int
        Gets the status of the most recent fetch attempt.
      • GetMinimumFetchIntervalInSeconds As Long
        Returns the minimum interval between successive fetches calls in seconds.
  • FirebaseRemoteConfigValue
    • Functions:
      • AsBoolean As Boolean
      • AsByteArray As Byte()
      • AsDouble As Double
      • AsLong As Long
      • AsString As String
      • GetSource As Int
        Indicates at which source this value came from.
        One of VALUE_SOURCE constant

Installation:
  1. Download the latest Android SDK as per B4A Installation instructions
  2. Install "firebase-abt" *ONLY* from SDK manager. Then close B4A.
  3. Extract the attached ABT.zip to <sdk>\extras\b4a_remote\com\google\firebase\firebase-abt\ folder
  4. Check if there is one 20.0.0 folder no nested 20.0.0 folder
  5. Then open this file, <sdk>\extras\b4a_remote\installed-components.txt
  6. Find com.google.firebase\:firebase-abt= and change the version to 20.0.0
  7. Download the attached wrapper ZIP file.
  8. Remove any old Firebase RemoteConfig wrapper if you already have one.
  9. Copy the files to the B4A Additional library folder.
Usage: Check the attached example project.

Attachments

• Wrapper.zip
    15 KB · Views: 227
  • Example.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 242
  • ABT.zip
    20.4 KB · Views: 229

asales

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Some questions about this lib:
I needed to replace this macro:
CreateResourceFromFile(Macro, FirebaseAnalytics.FirebaseAnalytics)
by this macro:
CreateResourceFromFile(Macro, FirebaseRemoteConfig.Firebase)

- What changed in the original macro to need this?
- If the original macro is changed, is it necessary to update the lib?

Thank you for your support.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Biswajit

Licensed User
Longtime User
What changed in the original macro to need this?
RemoteConfig needs some extra meta-data to be added to firebase ComponentDiscoveryService. That was not there in the original macro "FirebaseAnalytics.FirebaseAnalytics". As we can't merge meta-data by declaring the same service again I had to copy the original macro codes and create a new macro that will have the FirebaseAnalytics manifest code as well as RemoteConfig manifest code.

If the original macro is changed, is it necessary to update the lib?
Yes. Are you facing any issues?

asales

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
RemoteConfig needs some extra meta-data to be added to firebase ComponentDiscoveryService. That was not there in the original macro "FirebaseAnalytics.FirebaseAnalytics". As we can't merge meta-data by declaring the same service again I had to copy the original macro codes and create a new macro that will have the FirebaseAnalytics manifest code as well as RemoteConfig manifest code.

Yes. Are you facing any issues?
Thanks for the answers.

I just start to put and initialized the lib in my apps (to make A/B tests).

My concern is because I used the old lib posted in the forum, that's no was longer mantained, and I needed to abandoned all my tests, because the lib stopped to worked.

But I don't think that we get any issues with your (great) lib.

Thanks again.

Biswajit

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can you give me an example using VALUE_SOURCE_REMOTE? That would be great, my friend
That is the value source constant of a key. When you run the GetValue method it returns a FirebaseRemoteConfigValue object from where you can check the source.

miling

That is the value source constant of a key. When you run the GetValue method it returns a FirebaseRemoteConfigValue object from where you can check the source.
How can I ensure that the values are always retrieved from the server? Can you give me an example

Biswajit

Licensed User
Longtime User
How can I ensure that the values are always retrieved from the server? Can you give me an example
This is related to firebase remote config usage, which you can easily find on google or firebase documentation. Please check that.