Games One game a month! personal challenge

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've become very lazy on my game dev work. I set targets, then miss them.

You're a family man with a full time job that you commute to by train every day, you have a young family and a baby if I'm not mistaken (even though I probably am in this case), mortgage to pay, wife to keep happy, nappies to chance etc etc etc. It really does not surprise me that you miss the odd target or two You are probably really tired when you get home from work, and don't you get up really early in the morning, something like 6am.

Andy, if you miss a target or two then so be it, as long at you get the work done sooner or later, that's what really matters...

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well.... that is all true, except the commute bit, that's gone now, now I've got a half hour drive instead. But you're right, I have a lot to juggle. Right now actually I'm up around 5.30AM as my 10 month old keeps waking up around then (I blame the early sunrise).
I do get a few hours a week in total, mainly during breaks at work, that's why I'm working on simple games, so I can complete one or two tasks each tiem I work, which makes it feel like I'm making progress.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Premising that I am not (nor have ever been) a great player...

Sometimes I start playing a game and for a month I play once a day, practically every day. Then I get fed up and leave it for months, maybe years, maybe forever.

This could be due to my age not exactly very young :p:( or to my character; but if it were due to boredom?

I want to say that maybe you would be able to earn more by expanding your successful apps, adding levels, difficulties or other, rather than start new initiatives.

I would do this test first, then I would dedicate myself to new projects.

Anyway, good luck ;)

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
my goal is optimism and success.

My optimism:

ottimismo.jpg

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Andy,

Didn't you write this before to spit out a game each month? ;)

Too bad days and months are so short to come up just with an (original) idea not to mention implementing it.

Good luck with it and keep us posted!

freedom2000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just a quick update, expect my first game from this challenge very soon, it's kind of cheating as it's "yet another space invaders clone", but it's called "Many Mini Invaders" so there's load of aliens, multiple saucers at once, and many more bullets and bombs flying around the screen.
I may do a vote for the next game to work on, right now it's:
  1. Missile Command
  2. Asteroids
  3. Frogger
  4. Pacman
  5. Defender
  6. Robotron

I'd love to also work on remakes of Paperboy, Battlezone, Rally X, Donkey Kong, Karate Champ, Pole Position.

A few years ago (well a lot of) I used to play Moon Cresta
It's not on your list...
But I like as well frogger and pacman !

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've got some changes to make, but I'm planning to push this up to the play store either late tonight or tomorrow.

It needs new sounds effects and a few tweaks but otherwise it's good to go. Yes I know it's another space invaders clone, but they do well, so why not?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5k9t2vlwqp9qi4t/result.apk?dl=0

Screenshot_20180731-092328.jpg

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes I know it's another space invaders clone, but they do well, so why not?

Yeah, go for it. :)

I tried the game, well done! I kinda missed having a pause though, perhaps I just missed the button?

Is the difficulty typical of this genre? Compared to some games (Flappy Bird would be an extreme example), this has a very forgiving level of complexity.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
there's no pause button, yet. I keep being asked for one, but it's one of those boring features I never get around to. Pressing back will pause the game, so it's not a big job to make pause a real function.

It is easy, but I could make it harder, by having the aliens drop down faster, and also be more accurate on where they drop their bombs. I could also make the saucers drop a spray of bombs when over the player.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

jnjft

Licensed User
Longtime User
I like it very much, too!
One thing - if an invader gets down to your ship or beyond, your ship is not destroyed and the level never ends.
Thanks for sharing this great app!

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
I like it. I especially like the powerups (& the frequency of them), but one annoying thing is that if you get a triple shot powerup then get a double shot one immediately after, the double shot one cancels out the triple shot one. What would be really cool would be if they were combined - so for as long as they are both valid you get a five shot powerup!

- Colin.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @ilan not great. Life is getting in the way. But there is hope. My youngest keeps waking up all night, he's teething and we'r both tired all the time, I've also had a lot mroe work on at my day job, so B4A work has taken a back seat.....however....

His teething seems to be getting better, my wife has gone back to work, giving me some time in the evenings as she now goes to bed earlier, and my day job has calmed down a bit. So I now have some hours to work.

I have been having some trouble, thinking "is this worth it? what if no games do any good, what if no one downloads them?" and not being able to decide what to work on at any one time as I've got too many ideas and too many bugs and features to fix/add to my old games.

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you put your games on the Amazon App Store? or at least one of them? This can provide added installs.