iOS Question Potential issue: B4I never shows launch images, apps rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Smith

Licensed User
Longtime User
  1. I just received the second rejection for the most basic App with IOS8. They say that it is just a black screen, however in this release (I have never seen a launch image work by the way) I made a layout show in release mode as they were correct the first time and it worked on my iPad 4 non retina and on my iPhone4s. I suspect it still has to do with the lack of acceptance of any launch image.

There are related problems and this is the appropriate forum.

2. it appears that launch images do not work with B4I and iOS8 at all. Can somebody please show me an example I can compile in release as neither debug or release mode shows a launch image ever.

3. I installed B4I from scratch, same problem.

4. I made a test application, same problem. I was told I would get the white PNG.

5. I have added every single dimension for IOS as correct PNG's, and nothing will produce a launch image.

6. I was told by Erel that just the default skeleton one would show a white launch, it doesn't.

7. Has anyone ever seen a live release mode launch image (or even debug mode with iOS8 and B4i). I hope to help out others if there is an issue as I made a skeleton app and it did the same. I also followed the Apple guidelines and provided all PNGs imaginable. If somebody has a Hello World example with yellow launch images I would love to see it.

8. Is it possible, has it been tested?

9. Is there a member of this forum that might help us all with a 100% sample with every image resolution imaginable on earth that any Apple device would use with a sample Hello World code that will compile in iOS8.

SECOND ATTEMPT - THIS TIME THEY TESTED IT ON OTHER DEVICES

The screenshots are pitch black images and no layout loads, ever, period.

2.2 Details

We discovered one or more bugs in your app when reviewed on iPad Air running iOS 8.3 iPhone 5s running iOS 8.3 on both Wi-Fi and cellular networks.

When launched, the app brings up a blank screen.

We’ve attached screenshot for your reference.

Next Steps

Please run your app on a device to identify the issue(s), then revise and resubmit your app for review.

If we misunderstood the intended behavior of your app, please reply to this message in the Resolution Center to provide information on how these features were intended to work.

For new apps, uninstall all previous versions of your app from a device, then install and follow the steps to reproduce the issue(s). For updates, install the new version as an update to the previous version, then follow the steps to reproduce the issue(s).

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
See post #26 here about the launch images: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...-no-launch-image-yet.54822/page-2#post-345055

I was told by Erel that just the default skeleton one would show a white launch, it doesn't.
The IDE doesn't add launch images for all resolutions. This is an optional feature of iOS. Your app will never be rejected because of no launch images.

You should try to understand why the app doesn't load the layout. We cannot help you without seeing the code.

I will write one last time, it is not related to the launch images.

Upvote 0

Simon Smith

Licensed User
Longtime User
But I used the UI Cloud and I added every single combination on their human interface guidelines.
For example I uploaded the exact image for my iPad4, and it did not work, and my iPhone 4s.

Upvote 0

Simon Smith

Licensed User
Longtime User
STEP 1 DONE
========

Full brand new source code and output layout and UI Cloud view. No splash. I don't have to do anything special. Just like normal.

Ok iPhone4s, release mode, black splash, then layout appears on this phone.

B4X:
'Code module
#Region  Project Attributes
    #ApplicationLabel: B4i Example
    #Version: 1.0.0
    'Orientation possible values: Portrait, LandscapeLeft, LandscapeRight and PortraitUpsideDown
    #iPhoneOrientations: Portrait, LandscapeLeft, LandscapeRight
    #iPadOrientations: Portrait, LandscapeLeft, LandscapeRight, PortraitUpsideDown
#End Region

Sub Process_Globals
    'These global variables will be declared once when the application starts.
    'Public variables can be accessed from all modules.
    Public App As Application
    Public NavControl As NavigationController
    Private Page1 As Page

End Sub

Private Sub Application_Start (Nav As NavigationController)
    NavControl = Nav
    Page1.Initialize("Page1")
    Page1.Title = "Page 1"
    Page1.RootPanel.LoadLayout("test1")
    NavControl.ShowPage(Page1)
End Sub

Private Sub Page1_Resize(Width As Int, Height As Int)

End Sub

Private Sub Application_Background

End Sub

I have included release screenshot, opened up with black launch (expected as I haven't added assets yet as we are doing one thing at a time) and zipped entire source.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 305
  • test1.zip
    60.7 KB · Views: 302
Upvote 0

Simon Smith

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think to illustrate the missing launch images, it would be better to rewrite the code like so, with a 5 second delay (same result anyway - more obvious)

B4X:
'Code module
#Region  Project Attributes
    #ApplicationLabel: B4i Example
    #Version: 1.0.0
    'Orientation possible values: Portrait, LandscapeLeft, LandscapeRight and PortraitUpsideDown
    #iPhoneOrientations: Portrait, LandscapeLeft, LandscapeRight
    #iPadOrientations: Portrait, LandscapeLeft, LandscapeRight, PortraitUpsideDown
#End Region

Sub Process_Globals
    'These global variables will be declared once when the application starts.
    'Public variables can be accessed from all modules.
    Public App As Application
    Public NavControl As NavigationController
    Private Page1 As Page
    Private Timer1 As Timer
End Sub

Private Sub Application_Start (Nav As NavigationController)
    NavControl = Nav
    Page1.Initialize("Page1")
    Page1.Title = "Page 1"
    Page1.RootPanel.LoadLayout("test1")
    Timer1.Initialize("Timer1",5000)
    Timer1.Enabled=True
End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Tick()
    Timer1.Enabled=False
    NavControl.ShowPage(Page1)
End Sub

Private Sub Page1_Resize(Width As Int, Height As Int)

End Sub

Private Sub Application_Background

End Sub

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that you are not reading my answers. I will repeat them again.

1. B4i doesn't add launch images for you. It only adds three images that are required for running in "native" mode.
2. Launch images are optional.
3. Your app was not rejected because of a missing launch images.

As I've already answered this in two other threads you started, I will not answer again in this thread.

Upvote 0

Simon Smith

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello, sorry you are not reading my answers. I will repeat them and the title.

1. I know B4i does not make launch images. I know there are different sizes for various platforms.
2. I did what you asked and made a skeleton in anticipation to put the launch image on.
3. The point of this thread is that launch images are impossible to add in release mode.
4. They are the reason why the app is rejected. What is wrong with the demo layout? It would be rejected because it "WON'T" work with the correct launch images in iOS8.
5. I have never seen a launch image on any device in iOS 8.
6. I made this app for the purpose to add the launch image and make a release and see if it shows.
7. Then I will see it on different devices, and it won't work.
8. I made an application with no different layout start to the first example and it went black and straight to the layout.
9. It failed on certain devices.
10. I provided every size possible according to Apple guidelines.
11. Let's just work together and prove it works.
12. I reiterate, has anyone seen a launch image reach production in iOS8? I haven't.
13. Also on the UI Cloud the rejected binary works on every single one of them.
14. I know and created every single launch image required. They never show.
15. This is an iPhone 4s, you have a snapshot of my default image. Let's make it yellow.
16. https://developer.apple.com/library...perience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/IconMatrix.html states, "Launch file or image (requiredfor all apps)"
17. I am yet to see one in my life in iOS8 made with B4i on my 2 live devices and emulator.
18. The purpose of this thread is to prove that it works, or if anyone has done it and has a collection then we should add it.
19. Launch images should not involve editing plist files. I just installed B4i by scratch and ask you what file to add as I followed this https://developer.apple.com/library...perience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/IconMatrix.html and included all - as well as iPhone6.

So on balance, what is wrong with this example. This would be rejected (the one without the delay)

Upvote 0

Simon Smith

Licensed User
Longtime User
All I want is proof launch images work in iOS8 with B4i. They don't. It's a fact.

Erel your own APP in the iOS app store shows a black image and no launch image.
As I've already answered this in two other threads you started, I will not answer again in this thread.
does not explain why your APP doesn't even work in iOS8.

Upvote 0

Simon Smith

Licensed User
Longtime User
All I want is proof launch images work in iOS8 with B4i. They don't. It's a fact.

Erel your own APP in the iOS app store shows a black image and no launch image. You refuse to explain the FACT why your APP doesn't even work in iOS8.

If every user of B4i (another person verified another 2 devices) doesn't appreciate honest feedback what is this forum for? I am insulted by your remark when I am spending my time to fix your potential bug. Sorry, not the way the SDLC works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Simon Smith

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok. I wonder though if it works on the devices Apple has told me they tested on? I'll ask. Thank you. It's a shame Erel won't even tell us why his app in production has no launch image and just a black screen.

Upvote 0

Simon Smith

Licensed User
Longtime User
iPhone 4s: iOS 8.3 - Failed - Mr. Bucket Black Screen no launch image on iPhone 4s iOS 8.3.
iPad 4 WiFi model - iOS 8.3 - Failed - Mr. Bucket Black Screen no launch image on iPad 4 WiFi model iOS 8.3.
iPad Mini model - iOS 8.3 - Failed - Mr. Bucket Black Screen no launch image on iPad Mini non retina iOS 8.3.

Erel, do you believe me now? The Coordinates App fails to show launch image too.

This is a problem for everyone.

I also notice the author did a bug fix on 23 April 2015, and states optimised for iPhone 6.
I don't have an iPad Air or other devices.

If this post is ignored, it means B4i cannot be used to make iOS applications.
"Launch file or image (required for all apps)"
I am donating my time to help others. If someone else who wants to fix this issue with proven evidence then I'll help. Otherwise its up to Erel. I was doing as he said and making a proof of concept app in my time. Not appreciated.

Wanted to help myself and others. Suggestions for all? Need to know what devices fail to work and what devices work.

Upvote 0

Simon Smith

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok I don't have one of those to test it on. Can you try and install the Coordinates App and see if you get a black launch?

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel, do you believe me now? The Coordinates App fails to show launch image too.
Of course I believe you. I wrote the exact same thing. I will write it again:

1. B4i doesn't add launch images for you. It only adds three images that are required for running in "native" mode.
2. Launch images are optional.
3. Your app was not rejected because of a missing launch images.

The exact requirement related to launch images:
SS-2015-06-24_14.24.14.png

https://developer.apple.com/library...s.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007072-CH3-SW3

The three images added by B4i are for the following devices: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+.

There is no need to do any special tests. Coordinates Calculator will show white screen only for the above devices.

The main point is that the launch images are not the reason for your app to be rejected.

Upvote 0

Simon Smith

Licensed User
Longtime User
I disagree. It is not my problem. Explain why an iPad 4 shows a black launch on your app Erel and and on the app mentioned above. There is nothing wrong with the images and the code. I just pressed file/new. Good luck with it then.

I am well aware of the images. The ACTUAL PURPOSE of this exercise was to tell you that I don't even have to load a layout for it not to work. If I just set the canvas to red, it still won't load a launch. It simply doesn't work on iOS8. I would have thought an iPad mini and iPad4 are devices that an app would run on. And 4s, just requires a basic default file. I've proven it - prove otherwise.

Don't worry about it. We'll wait for the next person to find the bug and get REJECTED with a skeleton loadlayout as above. The launch image has nothing to do with any layouts. You can draw on the Navigator Canvas if you want, either way Apple intended the launch image to load first.

So, you are wrong - it has nothing to do with the layout. There is another person on here who it doesn't work on 2 devices, the app mentioned above doesn't work on my 3 devices, iPhone4s, iPad Mini, iPad, and its been proven.

And the image they sent back was black. I know what black looks like.

Be rude to the next customer that cannot use the software. I was building the app above waiting for you to say now put Default.png here, then run, then I would have come back and said black screen but you didn't let me get that far. I wanted to prove the point.

I've had apps accepted before by Apple with a launch image from X-Code without any issues in the world. This is also the first time you only told me you put limited launch images into your app. I would have thought developer's target all devices if they use the responsive layout. Anyway, close the thread and wait for the next person to report 'your' issue.

iPhone 4s: iOS 8.3 - Failed - Mr. Bucket Black Screen no launch image on iPhone 4s iOS 8.3.
iPad 4 WiFi model - iOS 8.3 - Failed - Mr. Bucket Black Screen no launch image on iPad 4 WiFi model iOS 8.3.
iPad Mini model - iOS 8.3 - Failed - Mr. Bucket Black Screen no launch image on iPad Mini non retina iOS 8.3.

Simon

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.