Other Promoting B4J - What do you think?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
While there are many programming language available today, including free tools, there aren't many quality RAD (rapid application development) tools.
As I see it, B4J, especially after the latest update which adds an internal designer, is a good candidate to to be a very popular programming language / tool. I think of it as a modern VB6. A tool to get the job done.
It can also be a good choice for teaching programming.

How can we better promote B4J? What do you think?

Roberto P.

Licensed User
Longtime User
Secondo me hai esagerato per primo :D

You've gone too far first :D

NO, è un valore allineato alle aspettative ed agli altri prodotti professionali (Embarcadero costa 5k, DevExpress 1.5k, ecc). Dal mio punto di vista, se dovessi avere un tool completo e dotato di tutte le funzionalità che ho scritto e che mi permette di risparmiare tempo per fare i componenti e mettere insieme quelli del forum, li pagherei più che volentieri quei soldi. Parlo di uso professionale e non per fare il programmino del sabato.

Sarà Erel a fare le sue valutazioni sui tanti spunti che sono stati dati da tanti programmatori.....

Grazie
ciao

Upvote 0

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wanna show off the power of B4X? Then code B4X with B4J. The term "eat your own dog food" comes to mind. I also think that including native skins would also help. (JavaFX apps stick out like a sore thumb.)

Upvote 0

Roberto P.

Licensed User
Longtime User
Se lo scrivi in inglese, sarà più contento (io un po' meno, non mi potrei permettere nemmeno dieci euro al mese, hehehe).
Ciao e buone feste.

credo che lo capirà anche in Italiano, facendosi aiutare da traslator (come faccio anche io!). Non credo che un programmatore come te abbia difficoltà a spendere 10€/mese!!! :eek:

buone feste anche a te.
ciao

Upvote 0

Roger Daley

Licensed User
Longtime User
From the point of view of a complete mug at B4J three lines of attack:

!. Every App that is published should contain an acknowledgement of being developed in B4J. Possibly a link to the Anywhere home site.
2. A push to schools is a tried and true statagey. Many companies where doing this while Bill Gates was still at high school.
3. Push the Raspberry Pi community. B4Pi ???

Note forLucaMs: Don't worry, I consider myself semi-literate, but every day cringe at what newspaper journalists and other universty educated wordsmiths do to the english language. Keep adding knowledge to the Wiki, your english is better than my Italian.:rolleyes:

Regards Roger

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Note forLucaMs: Don't worry, I consider myself semi-literate, but every day cringe at what newspaper journalists and other universty educated wordsmiths do to the english language. Keep adding knowledge to the Wiki, your english is better than my Italian.:rolleyes:
Regards Roger

Thank you, Roger,
but, I have not complained about my poor English... this time :D
Se lo scrivi in inglese, sarà più contento (io un po' meno, non mi potrei permettere nemmeno dieci euro al mese, hehehe).
Means:
"If you write it in English, (he) will be happier (I'll be a little less (happier), I cannot afford to pay not even €10/month)
:)

Upvote 0

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I must admit I was scratching around for a utility to help me create files for an Android App that I have... I was wracking my brain for a solution, but then thought - what about B4J? I've given it a try and it took around 2-3 hours to get a little file utility completed - it reads in two files and a user can then edit the text presented in separate fields (they're fairly simple files with the information always contained in the same order) and then create two new files for the coming year. Job done! Thank you Erel, it was a welcome surprise - it was so easy to complete what I wanted to do and 'just worked' much like when I started using B4A for Android Apps - 5-6 years ago! :)

Upvote 0

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The best way to promote B4J?

Rewrite B4I (or all B4X) with it; so it can run on Apple O.S.

i would say create nice simple tools and make a youtube video and mention that it was done with B4J (free development tool)

this is what i do :)

but before making b4x run on OS i would prefer an done-in-one tool. so you create 1 code and export to desktop/ios/android. (Cross development tool)
i know that it is almost impossible since you have lot of different libs but it could be possible to make it run with at least core lib and some main libs that are already available in all b4x platforms (http, stringutils, admob, core, sql,...)

Upvote 0

DMW

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

Intro
I'm blown away what B4J can do and it's strong bond to B4A et al. In many ways it's a true RAD tool and the first platform to be viewed as the successor to VB6. Compared with many free/commercial competitors B4J actually works for cross-platform development. Mainly because it works so well on several Linux OS.

However, if B4J will be successful as VB6 then the following aspects, in my opinion, are very important:

• VB6 was the first platform that offered controls to build GUI fast. The number of third-party support (ActiveX Controld) was one of the central causes that made VB6 so popular and successful.
  • Microsoft made a huge mistake with VS.NET when they decided it will be the main platform for all development. Today I say that VS.NET is drowning under its own weight. Too much of everything has made VS.NET to be anything else then a real RAD-Tool.
  • I fear that Xamarin may go the same way as with VS.NET now that it's part of Microsoft. Too much "Enterprise" can put Xamarin in exactly the same position as with VS.NET.

If B4J will have the same future as VB6 once had then I believe the following is important.
  • Continue to allow B4J to be fast and easy to work with.
  • Continue to develop native Libraries for various tasks and encourage third-part development.
  • Continue to develop native Controls and stimulate third-part development.
  • Continue to find new areas where B4J can make a difference.

Marketing
The best approach is the "mouth-to-mouth" marketing. Ask the present group of die-hard B4J developers to spread the word via:
  • Social Media, i e Twitter, Facebook and so on.
  • Blog entries and articles published via own/others sites.
  • Try to get B4J be part of evaluation/reviews made by journalist on their corporate sites and news channel.
  • Book publishing (printed, PDF et al).
The real challenge lays in to spreading the word in the Linux online community. For many Linux developers, I believe, B4J can be their main platform for development.

Thanks for reading my contribution :)

All the best,
Dennis

PS: While I consider myself to be a newbie with B4J I have been part of Microsoft's eco system for nearly 30 years as an independent consult, running blogs and public Q&A forum, vendor of commercial product, book author, Microsoft MVP and a vagabond.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
PS: While I consider myself to be a newbie with B4J I have been part of Microsoft's eco system for nearly 30 years as an independent consult, running blogs and public Q&A forum, vendor of commercial product, book author, Microsoft MVP and a vagabond.
och så är du svensk! Äntligen är jag inte ensam :)

Reactions: DMW
Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
"To be honest, I have never quit understood what B4J really is and of what benefit it could be to me as developer." - Syd Wright"

Like I have stated elsewhere, I had no idea what I would use B4J for - or how to use it - even thou I have been using B4A for many years.
Java is a four letter word to me. B4A removes all that complication.

I knew B4J could create webapps but with a very distinctive desktop interface. I tried it, half-heartedly, and became dismayed with resulting UI (old school). I know many use this approach and it works for them - I think mainly because they live in a corporate world where their users are accustomed to this. I knew it would do many other things as well. That's all well and fine.

However, it was not until ABMaterial surfaced that I though I would give IT a try. I had a specific need - connect my mobile app to a browser based web application that I could develop, leveraging what I know from B4A (basic min general). A modern Google Material framework that runs in any browser, is responsive, looks great, supports databases easily (of any type), gets better each day and is dependent on B4J (which we all know works - because who developed it and the community that supports it). Since day 2 (after a short/intensive learning curve), I have not looked back...

Why would I, as a newbie to (modern) webapp creation, what to learn the ever changing models of JS, HTML5, CSS and all else that is involved with this - when some smart cookie as already figured all this out for me? Then I see others jump on the same bandwagon (some VERY big time) and create extensions to help all in our en-devours.

Also, each product is FREE and FREE. Donations always help...

B4J has moved up to Number One in the B4X suite. It has taken all the best from B4A and ramped it up several notches. Seems, gone are the days where we write desktop apps - thankfully. Deployment and support killed many a company (many I worked at).

All this works wonderfully and shall continue to improve - right up until the www/internet goes down... But hey!, that will never happen!

Essentially, what are the positive things you can state about B4J? I think the topic has covered 99 percent of them all - we all like it. That said - and what newcomers REALLY want to hear is - what are the negative things about B4J (B4X)? You need to state what it isn't - rather than what it is - a new twist on marketing (a free product)

@Erel - Create a new topic (poll / whatever) where your community can confide about what they don't like. You may gain some insight here - or not... (I don't expect much response towards the negative - but who knows?).

Thanks

Upvote 0