RENAULT Open R-Link ( full google...)

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys...

I will soon be acquiring a Renault equipped with the new "Open R-Link" wich promises a full android experience, including Play-Store.
This has given me some interesting ideas for apps, exploiting the "on-board" sensors and such...
But then again... how "open" it actually is?
Does anyone have any interesting inputs?

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
First of all, Congratulations for your new car!
I think that it will be quite hard to get in communication with the various sensors.
And I have some doubt about the meaning that Renault (or everyone else) will give to the "Open" word.
Maybe there could be some more chance using a good obd reader.
And this could be done even now.
I think that they cannot allow to install every kind of app.
Android Auto is quite limited, but for safety reasons.
All of these are only my actual thoughts.
Maybe this Open R-Link will be a game changer.
By the way I still had to check this system.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Another car with android auto and some apps by default...

Don't think that will give you SDK :) ...or an api to get values of sensors....

as @Sagenut said... an OBD can help you... if you wanna play with "other" settings

..but i am jealous... have nice travels and time to enjoy it with your family !!!

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you note there are only apps about music and messaging.
Like Android Auto.
But I will be more than happy to be wrong.
And maybe it will be possible to force installation by ABD.
But then..... Keep your head on shoulders and make wise use of Not Allowed Apps.
Just talking about safety driving.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you note there are only apps about music and messaging.
Like Android Auto.
But I will be more than happy to be wrong.
And maybe it will be possible to force installation by ABD.
But then..... Keep your head on shoulders and make wise use of Not Allowed Apps.
Just talking about safety driving.
Yeah, I think they must have some kind of security measures to avoid system corruption by third party apps...

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am with Sagenut. This built-in device is probably everything else than "open".
But I like your idea.
Maybe possible with an "external Device" by accessing the service-interface of the car's computer. Nothing else they do at the car repair shop for reading error logs of sensors and so on.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am with Sagenut. This built-in device is probably everything else than "open".
But I like your idea.
Maybe possible with an "external Device" by accessing the service-interface of the car's computer. Nothing else they do at the car repair shop for reading error logs of sensors and so on.
By external device I was primarily thinking of a camera (even the on-board one) if it would interfaceable... among other things

zed

Licensed User
Awesome!
If you have access to the sensors, this is the best way to get your car hacked.
People who don't know how it works will install an app that might be interesting for them and the next day, the car is no longer in the garage. 🤣🤣

Alessandro71

Licensed User
Longtime User
i think this system has also access to the CANbus somehow.
it would be interesting to be able use it with no external OBD

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Last post by @Alessandro71 says it all. I have also researched several communication ways with my car including talking to it in a nice way 😂 😂 😂 .
Far apart from the jokes though, I have tried in the past with OBD2 and the protocol is available in the Wikipedia. Since it is an old car now, it is a Yaris 2007, this is the only available way of communication (I think so at least).

Last edited: