Say Goodbye to the Menu Button

DKCERT

Licensed User
Longtime User
Android Developers Blog: Say Goodbye to the Menu Button

By Scott Main, lead tech writer for developer.android.com.

Before Android 3.0 (Honeycomb), all Android-powered devices included a dedicated Menu button. As a developer, you could use the Menu button to display whatever options were relevant to the user, often using the activity’s built-in options menu. Honeycomb removed the reliance on physical buttons, and introduced the ActionBar class as the standard solution to make actions from the user options immediately visible and quick to invoke. In order to provide the most intuitive and consistent user experience in your apps, you should migrate your designs away from using the Menu button and toward using the action bar. This isn’t a new concept — the action bar pattern has been around on Android even before Honeycomb — but as Ice Cream Sandwich rolls out to more devices, it’s important that you begin to migrate your designs to the action bar in order to promote a consistent Android user experience.

You might worry that it’s too much work to begin using the action bar, because you need to support versions of Android older than Honeycomb. However, it’s quite simple for most apps because you can continue to support the Menu button on pre-Honeycomb devices, but also provide the action bar on newer devices with only a few lines of code changes.

If I had to put this whole post into one sentence, it’d be: Set targetSdkVersion to 14 and, if you use the options menu, surface a few actions in the action bar with showAsAction="ifRoom".

[Visit this link for more]

NeoTechni

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thats very disappointing.

I loved that menus didn't take up a permanent spot wasting screenspace like on ios
There's tons of software that depends on it.

Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there someone how has/can make a small example that shows how to accomplish this ?

Thanks
Wim

Upvote 0

latcc

Banned
changing a primary interface method mid-stream doesn't give me much faith in Google Android. I guess these people don't give much about the problems the developers are going to have with older systems. They just want to sell new ones. Hmmm...

Upvote 0

NeoTechni

Licensed User
Longtime User
Old systems should still use the button

Its new systems that'll have problems with older apps.
I already have users complaining theirs don't have search buttons

Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is unclear to me what kind of interface you would need to write to be compatible with older OS versions, but in line with the new ones ..

Wim

Upvote 0