Android Question SDK Manager - Are we suppose to use it??

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am still running 10.9 and went to SDK Manager and installed the recommended updates
after I did I get an Maven artifact not found: androidx.annotation/annotation-experimental

So I went and updated everything as per the install recommendations link https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html
Using 7-Zip to extract the files not Windows.

But after I do and go into SDK Manager I see all these updates that are needed.
1626109531122.png

If I take these recommendations I am sure I am going to get the Maven artifact not found: androidx.annotation/annotation-experimental error again.

How do I fix this?

Shelby

Licensed User
Every time I see the recommended items and I install them, I never have any problems (Windows 10). However, one doesn't need to worry about those recommended items if like me you use a wired phone rather than the emulator for running the ide.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It's a bit weird. Usually it's recommended that one update things, but when it comes to the SDK Manager, it seems the general recommendation is to ignore it, unless somebody (typically Erel) tells you to install something.

My mental model is that Erel downloads the SDK to his computer, does some unknown things to make it play nice with B4A and then uploads it to the site. If one update this SDK, things break, because the SDK doesn't look like expected. No idea if this is correct, it's just my mental model to explain the situation.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Why should one not install updates?

Well, it's happened several times in the forum that somebody installed updates, broke things, posted and wondered what to do, only to be scolded by Erel for updating in the first place.

That's how I learned never to update.

Upvote 0