Android Question Updating Emulator and depreciation of SDK Manager

William Hunter

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am having a problem getting the emulator to run. I get this message when I launch an AVD:
B4X:
Starting emulator for AVD 'AVD_for_Nexus_7_by_Google'
adb_server_notify: Failed to establish connection to ADB server
emulator: Listening for console connections on port: 5554
emulator: Serial number of this emulator (for ADB): emulator-5554
Your emulator is out of date, please update by launching Android Studio:
- Start Android Studio
- Select menu "Tools > Android > SDK Manager"
- Click "SDK Tools" tab
- Check "Android SDK Tools" checkbox
- Click "OK"
I have searched at StackOverflow and found this explanation:

The standalone GUI SDK Manager is deprecated as of SDK Tools v25.2.3 (https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/sdk-tools.html). The instructions you see in the "Starting Android Emulator" run window are specific to updating via Android Studio. The SDK Manager inside of Android Studio is different than the standalone tool. We added new SDK packages that the old SDK Manager does not understand how to process nor update, including the new Emulator.

You have two ways going forward to update the emulator:
  1. Use the new command line SDK Manager: $./sdkmanager --update (https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/sdkmanager.html )

2. Use the new SDK Manager in Android Studio: https://developer.android.com/studio/intro/update.html#sdk-manager
I have found info as to where this new command line SDKManager is supposedly located at the developer.android.com site below. But I cannot find a trace of this file on my system.

https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/sdkmanager.html

Has anyone trying to update the emulator had any success, outside of using Android Studio? Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards :)

William Hunter

Licensed User
Longtime User
As a related issue, Android Device Monitor is not showing anything in the File Explorer view. This is only occurring on Virtual Devices running Android API Level 24+.

If the standalone SDK Manager has been depreciated, and as a result we are not getting new SDK packages because the SDK Manager does not understand how to process or update them, then we have a problem. This seems to be why I have been having Emulator problems. I seem to be OK, when using an Emulator based on API 23 or less.

I'm just starting to work through this. Does anyone else have any further information re the depreciation of the standalone SDK Manager? If Google is not going to continue maintaining it, we will have to update the SDK by some other means.

Upvote 0

jimmyF

Licensed User
Longtime User
As a related issue, Android Device Monitor is not showing anything in the File Explorer view. This is only occurring on Virtual Devices running Android API Level 24+.

If the standalone SDK Manager has been depreciated, and as a result we are not getting new SDK packages because the SDK Manager does not understand how to process or update them, then we have a problem. This seems to be why I have been having Emulator problems. I seem to be OK, when using an Emulator based on API 23 or less.

I'm just starting to work through this. Does anyone else have any further information re the depreciation of the standalone SDK Manager? If Google is not going to continue maintaining it, we will have to update the SDK by some other means.

I do not know what the official status is but I can tell you that the standalone SDK Manager has not worked for quite a few months for me.
I installed Android Studio and I run it from there. Smooth as silk. ;)

Have a good one! :)

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Does anyone else have any further information re the depreciation of the standalone SDK Manager? If Google is not going to continue maintaining it, we will have to update the SDK by some other means.
I'm working on it:

SS-2017-05-29_07.52.25.png

Upvote 0