Android Question Want to have both 9.01 and 9.50 installations in my laptop

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have B4A version 9.01.2 installed and am happy with it.
I now have version 9.50 and want to be happy with both :)

So, I want to have both installations in my laptop, may be in different folders/partition etc.

What is the best approach, so that I can use my existing B4A codes in 9.01 and make new in 9.50 ?

Important is that SDK for 9.01 should remain as it is and for 9.5 will have AndroidX and jetifier libs, including Java to remain 8 and 11 respectively. So both must not interact or create problem to each other.

I did search the forum for "two version 9.01.2" but did not get relevant result. May be master are already using such setup and can guide me.

Regards,

Anand

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the problem is that b4a can only be configured to use ONE SDK

Add another user to your PC, configure the user to use your 9.01 installation and a SDK. Install the SDK for this user in another place.

Honestly you should use the AndroidX SDK and 9.5. There is no reason to use the old, deprecated, android support mavens... Note that you´ll not be able to use the newest Firebase artifacts as they depends on Androidx.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the advise Erel and DonManfred.

I understand that I should use the latest version, but to fix an error reported by my client urgently, I would prefer the same version I made the app in. You see the clients pay and they do not hear any excuse for any delay due to version, which is anyway not their headache.

I will try separate partition and different folder at first, to keep the 9.01 working along.

I welcome more advise from Experts here.

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can have different B4A versions on a same computer, I always install a new version in a different folder.
But, the path setting remains the same for all!
If you want to use different path settings you must reset them every time you use another the B4A version.

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Don's advise helps but the documents path changes, obviously, making some of my batch files no-usable.
Taking the idea from it, I tried https://www.sandboxie.com/ SANDBOXIE, which is free now, but even in sand-boxed the app is accessing logged user's document path and not in the sandboxed path. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

I am trying to achieve what I want and will reply as and when I get some desired solution.

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0