Games Web Games?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
there are quite lots of 2d b4x games and even really awesome ones but almost 0 web games made with b4j.
construct is very popular and many people create web games. i remember i played a lot of those mini-games on miniclip.com.
after making some tests i can say that b4j can create such games using some JS and box2d or x2.
is someone interested in making games running on browsers?

FrostCodes

Licensed User
there are quite lots of 2d b4x games and even really awesome ones but almost 0 web games made with b4j.
construct is very popular and many people create web games. i remember i played a lot of those mini-games on miniclip.com.
after making some tests i can say that b4j can create such games using some JS and box2d or x2.
Hi won't they just be games made out of JS? maybe with a b4j server for backend(if needed)?

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I like being able to develop any type of PWA app, including games.

I know I could use BANano (and VUE version, if I understand correctly) but... Oh, I'm old, tired and... very lazy! 😄 :(😭

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi won't they just be games made out of JS? maybe with a b4j server for backend(if needed)?

so the idea is to build a framework where you use b4j code but the output will be js.
using canvas element and drawing on it works fine. i will need to make more tests but i think it could be a nice addition to b4j if we can create games for web

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
making some tests and I think simple games can be done with HTML canvas for more complex we can use WebGL

500 bodies and still 60 FPS. i can tell you that having 500 bodies in a single window where all are drawn is not simple! most games do not have so many bodies at the same time for a long period. mostly they are killed some when or outside the frames and also we are talking about dynamic bodies. static bodies take much fewer calculations.

to improve performance when we will draw sprites on our canvas we can use 2,3 or even more canvas where we can on 1 draw all background sprites and on the second we draw only dynamic bodies,... so with logical thinking and creativity, we can create really nice games for the web :)

so I am thinking of 2 possibilities.

1, create a framework where people can write b4x code and it will be exported as JS
2, create a whole game creator app in b4j where people can create apps without using code. just drag&drop approach with the possibility of settings for bodies etc. like construct or game maker,...

FrostCodes

Licensed User
1, create a framework where people can write b4x code and it will be exported as JS

Unfortunately, I don't still understand how games works and I have been really confused while learning it (maybe because I suck at math 😅 ) but I think the first one is very easily possible. One can build it without understanding how to use it to create games.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunately, I don't still understand how games works and I have been really confused while learning it (maybe because I suck at math 😅 ) but I think the first one is very easily possible. One can build it without understanding how to use it to create games.

if so then you probably mean the second option :)

2, create a whole game creator app in b4j where people can create apps without using code. just drag&drop approach with the possibility of settings for bodies etc. like construct or game maker,..

this will make it much simpler to create games since the app will do the background coding for you. you just draw&drop items.

btw. did you have a look at this:

this can help you get started with game-making. ;)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If I can understand it might even be possible to make an editor that does the coding for you and also allows you to add your own custom code for advanced customization.

yes, that is possible and most drag&drop game makers have such feature.

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi there

Its been a while but some time ago I did work on BANanoPhaser. A wrap of Phaser around BANano to create games. You write in b4x and get javascript.

1630327336655.png

Also one of the forum members converted one of the games to an APK using cordova (just to test). It was awesome, You can filter the games development thread by my forum name "mashiane" to get the links. Phaser is awesomely easy to learn too.

BANAnoCreateJS though could have been something else.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i know Phaser, it seems to be a very nice library. i do think making my own framework if i will find the time for that. i want to use WebGL and Box2d.
with WebGL you can also create 3d objects.

just need to learn the functions and create a framework for b4j.