iOS Question What do I need for iOS development ?

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I would be interested in looking into iOS development.

What would the minimum Apple hardward I would need ?

- an iOS VM or a Mac Mini ?
- an emulator WITHOUT an Apple Dev Account: just for testing / development

Is this correct ?

Tx

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Touch,

I read this post but I read in the same thread somewhere one doesn't need an Apple Developper Account when you only use an emulator ?

Tx

Upvote 0

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
You must have a developer account in order to install your app on a real device...
If you think about it logically then this requirement adds a one-time cost of about $7 to the price of B4i

Are there several types of Apple Developer Accounts?

On the Apple page I see $99 per year for an iOS developer account.

Is this $7 one time cost account something different?

Barry.

Upvote 0

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That is correct!!!

Note that a single developer license allows you to install your app on 100 test devices. This is probably more than what a single developer needs.
This means that multiple developers can group and purchase a single account. Though the App Store developer name will be the same for all of them.

If a dev group will purchase only 1 account how will the publishing work? would all dev group publish the app with the same developer name?
if yes then its not really a good solution, i would like to have my own app account so no one can log to it and make any changes...

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If a dev group will purchase only 1 account how will the publishing work? would all dev group publish the app with the same developer name?
if yes then its not really a good solution, i would like to have my own app account so no one can log to it and make any changes...

This is not correct!

The solution is: you (99 developers) pay the license, I publish the apps and gain :D

I wonder what percentage Apple holds.
10% less than Google Play would be enough!

Upvote 0

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think the $99 developer account is intended for an individual developer (or maybe a small development company with a few developers). It will give you a single developer name for publishing (anything published by a small group will be published under the one developer account name).

It allows you to have 100 test devices – these might include a few different iPhones, some iPods, and some iPads.

I don't think a single developer's account can be shared by multiple unrelated (as in a small company) developers.

I have also seen an Enterprise Developers Account mentioned. I have not looked into this.

Apple keeps 30% of revenue – the same as Google.

I am happy with Amazon.com (I am in the USA) as a source for low-cost Mac Minis. Until a few days ago the low-cost entry model seemed to be: Apple Mac Mini MD387LL/A

Refurbished units pop-up every once in a while for under $500. You have to be fast though. They disappear quickly after they become available.

The site CamelCamelCamel.com will send email alerts to you when your price point is met for an item on Amazon.com.

Barry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1.4 GHZ ?? instead of boost up the configuration they sell now a weaker processor? i dont understand them... STEVE JOBS WHERE ARE YOU!!!

Upvote 0

Osi

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, but don't buy those horrible "new" mac minis, they benchmark MUCH MUCH less than the previous (2012) models, including worse internals. Refurb is the way to go, especially for a quad core.

Upvote 0

migrec

Licensed User
Longtime User
As a student I really can't afford the dev account now, any suggestions? will jailbreak help?

Upvote 0