Games What's everyone working on?

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
@andymc I liked Marble madness and especially Spindizzy too. It was really fun and a great challenge to get somewhere in those games. I might go with the gameplay that adds more time when collecting a crystal, or another option is to collect a certain number of crystals to complete the level. I cannot decide which yet. Or perhaps I can implement two game modes that would be fun. Both games was fun so I will try to combine the best from both games. I plan to remake some of the level design from the original games and add moving platforms that moves up and down so that it creates dynamic levels. The slopes with space between was much fun and I will try to implement that as well. The control of the ball is much smoother than in the above mentioned games but that only adds to the gameplay. I will try to solve the side texture problem at the end of objects so I'm still learning Unity. I might have to purchase some assets to make it as good as I would like to see myself. About your game, it would be nice with variations in the sine movement of the enemy ships. I've been thinking about this myself for a space game I started a year ago, it was what was to become a Star Wars Arcade game, but it ended up as a playable demo much like your prototype, but with Star wars ships and sounds. A license from Lucasarts will be needed to publish a game like that, so I had to stop working on it. I made the prototype in GLbasic, if anyone knows about this language I dunno it's probably not that popular anymore with B4X and Unity around. If you don't mind please post the sine code routine for the ship movement. It would be fun to play around with in B4X :)

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can LibGDX be used for all products of B4X to make a crossplatform game?

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
No, it's only for B4a right now, there is a library for b4i called spritekit, so you could in theory write functions to allow you to use the same commands on both systems by translating your commands into spritekit command for loading and drawing graphics. I'm planning to get an Iphone and start playing with spritekit soon. maybe use a ipad mini instead.

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
It might be a good idea to make sure B4X can benefit from this GDX lib as much as possible to allow crossplatform development because right now Unity seems to generate alot of users and that's how this marketing world works as we all know. Suddenly it pops up a development tool that offers alot of flexibillity and then everyone turns to that. It keeps industry moving and as one takes the lead the small developers will have much difficulty to catch up. I hope this is not the case with B4X because it's really good and thanks to the large user base as can be seen in this forum it looks like it keeps on growing. So everyones contribution adds to the usabillity. Even though I decided to use Unity for BallWorld B4X is still very good as a universal development tool. But as it is not totally focused on game development Unity and Unreal Engine 4 will keep on growing.

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just an idea. If B4X had a development editor abit like Unity and Unreal engine it would help boost the userbase. This takes alot of planning and work for Erel but with help of the community it will be possible. Those development environment will most likely keep on growing in popularity as the average guy can produce top notch crossplatfrom apps and games in his basement, so it might be wise to jump on this train. In two years to come there will probably be major support for Microsoft HoloLens and that might leave everything else behind. Just brainstorming some :)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think a fantastic route would be something called B4U, meaning B4Unity / B4Unreal.
It would translate (and compile?) B4X code into C# (Unity) and C++ (UE4).

@Erel, just an idea... :D :D :D

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i have started a new project in the last 4 days. it's a nice (simple) ios game that uses iSpriteKit.
i think it will be a very nice time killer and maybe get viral but i always think like this when i am making a new game :rolleyes:

anyway its top secret for now. i guess in 2 weeks it should be finished and ready for review. after i finish it i will work an a android version of it (libgdx+box2d)

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm now in three projects.
First I'd like to finish the 3rd world of my platformer, it's not going as good as I'd like, but I'd like to finish it ASAP (maybe next week I'll release the big update):
Screenshot_2017-07-28-21-04-02.png

Next will be my ball throwing game:

Screenshot_2017-06-26-20-07-06.jpg

And another I'm working on is the lunar lander game:

Screenshot_2017-07-30-15-41-17.jpg

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm glad to see all these awesome projects created with libGDX. And glad to see that none of you reported tons of bugs. ;)
As I explained in another thread, libGDX cannot be ported to be used by B4i so there will be no crossplatform solution based on it, unfortunately.
Personaly, I use a lot my SimpleGameEngine lib for B4j and I'm currently designing a prototype of board game that will be submitted once done to professional publishers.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for doing the libGDX library wrapper @Informatix It's brilliant to work with and makes making games with B4a very enjoyable. Without it I would not be working with B4A and games right now, I probably would be using unity or game maker, but I like having more control over the code in my games rather than using pre-written solutions by other, so I love being able to just use the graphics functions from libgdx and do everything else myself.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
No, it's only for B4a right now, there is a library for b4i called spritekit, so you could in theory write functions to allow you to use the same commands on both systems by translating your commands into spritekit command for loading and drawing graphics. I'm planning to get an Iphone and start playing with spritekit soon. maybe use a ipad mini instead.

Belive me after u try spritekit u will not create functions so u can use your libgdx code. Maybe it opposite direction :D make libgdx code to understand iSpritekit commands.

iSpritekit is really easy and user friendly!

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Belive me after u try spritekit u will not create functions so u can use your libgdx code. Maybe it opposite direction :D make libgdx code to understand iSpritekit commands.

iSpritekit is really easy and user friendly!
It's what I wanted for SimpleGameEngine. Higher level functions to make the developer life easier. It still lacks a scene editor to be complete.

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm glad to see all these awesome projects created with libGDX. And glad to see that none of you reported tons of bugs. ;)
And of course we're so glad and lucky to have you here. Without you and your libGDX port I wouldn't be making games right now!
BTW, just playing around with shaders and meshes:
Screenshot_2017-08-04-20-43-17.jpg

After 2 days of work finally I did it! with a polyline drawn in tiled I can render a terrain. So maybe there can be a "hill climb racing" game coming...

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
And of course we're so glad and lucky to have you here. Without you and your libGDX port I wouldn't be making games right now!
BTW, just playing around with shaders and meshes:
View attachment 58428

After 2 days of work finally I did it! with a polyline drawn in tiled I can render a terrain. So maybe there can be a "hill climb racing" game coming...
There's a feature added to my port of libGDX that does not exist in the official version and allows to handle the collision objects of Tiled, in case someone needs to build automatically some Box2D objects according to the data contained in the .tmx file. There's a demo (Map_Box2D.b4a).

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There's a feature added to my port of libGDX that does not exist in the official version and allows to handle the collision objects of Tiled, in case someone needs to build automatically some Box2D objects according to the data contained in the .tmx file. There's a demo (Map_Box2D.b4a).

can you explain a little bit more about this feature?

what i do now is i create objects in tiled and add to each object some properties. then in my b4a project i have a code module where i load all objects from the tmx file and according to the object properties i create the body. properties contains: name, type, x, y, height, weight, and some custom properties.

is there a simpler way?